These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

supper sensativity to fretting pressure jtv 59
by afo45td on 2012-08-14 18:41:03

Played for thrirty years. I felt new 59 was not staying in tune when played in first three frets. As I move up the neck problem improves.

Upon inspection the first few frets, to the naked ewe, seem to sit high. This almost makes it impossible to fret with going sharp.  

What gives with this. Is the strat neck the same way. This needs to be corrected ????

Re: supper sensativity to fretting pressure jtv 59
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-14 21:52:23

afo45td wrote:

Played for thrirty years.

Man you must have been tired.

This is one of those things that I have found with different guitars over the years.  Just how low should a manufacturer go when dressing frets on a new guitar? 

Fret height can be a very individual thing and finding a guitar that's perfect "out of the box" will never happen for some players.

Personally, I'd prefer the frets to be a little high because they can be dressed down, but if they're too low then the guitar is going to need to be refretted prematurely.  I have picked up some Ibanez guitars and the frets on those things were so high my fingers needed mountain climbing gear to get over them.  I know if ever I bought one of those, it would be off to the luthier to have them shaved down.

The frets on my JTV69 are definitely beefier than on my American Deluxe Strat, but they're okay for me.  Others might find them too chunky. 

So, I guess the short answer is that the JTV frets are chunkier than a Strat, but not as chunky as other guitars (notably Ibanez).  The solution would be to have a full setup done on the guitar that includes dressing the frets down a bit.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-14 21:55:16

Oh, I forgot to mention, just check the actual height of the frets the full length of the neck just in case they put a different height fret wire in.  Best to just make sure it's not a manufacturing defect.

Cheers,

Crusty

by silverhead on 2012-10-04 12:48:46

I know this thread is almost 2 months old, but rather than start a new one on the same topic......

@afo45td  (if you are still here) did you ever address your fret height? If so, what were the results?

Is anyone else experiencing this as a problem?

I have found the same problem keeping things in tune due to JTV-59 fret height and have not done anything about it yet, but lately I am finding it quite annoying. Individual strings go out of tune when depressed fully, making simple chording a bit of a sonic adventure sometimes. Also, when using a physical (rather than virtual) capo at, say, the 5th fret - the whole instrument goes sharp by nearly 20 cents - this can be noticeable when playing with others.

I think I am going to have my frets dressed down. Has anyone done this? Any specific advice for the JTV-59 (as opposed to a routine fret dressing on any guitar)?

Thanks.

by wolbai on 2012-10-05 03:49:14

Silverhead,

I initially had the same problem with the JTV59. I generally agree that guitars sometimes needs a setup by a good luthier to make them work for professional usage.

I generally disagree on the JTV59. At least my frets were WAY too high (assuming that this is the standard setting for ALL JTV59s: you cannot play open chords without some noticeable intonation). If frets are so high that they lead into intonation problems by strongly pressing the frets than it is mo longer just a matter of taste. It is just wrong.

The intonation problem is very vital for players are who strongly pressing in open chord positions. An open D-chord  was just OUT of tune on the initial JTV59 setup it was shipped. It was reduced when I pressed not that hard. And moving to higher frets the intonation more and more disappears.

I took the JTV59 to a good luthier. He reduced the frets height on the first 3-5 frets. The problem wasn't solved completly. But it is now very much reduced to a level I am comfortable with.

All in all: I recommend a fret dressing for all JTV59 players who has discovered the same intonation issues playing chords in a open position.

wolbai.

by daferalo on 2012-10-05 08:13:34

wolbai escribió:

Silverhead,

I initially had the same problem with the JTV59. I generally agree that guitars sometimes needs a setup by a good luthier to make them work for professional usage.

I generally disagree on the JTV59. At least my frets were WAY too high (assuming that this is the standard setting for ALL JTV59s: you cannot play open chords without some noticeable intonation). If frets are so high that they lead into intonation problems by strongly pressing the frets than it is mo longer just a matter of taste. It is just wrong.

The intonation problem is very vital for players are who strongly pressing in open chord positions. An open D-chord  was just OUT of tune on the initial JTV59 setup it was shipped. It was reduced when I pressed not that hard. And moving to higher frets the intonation more and more disappears.

I took the JTV59 to a good luthier. He reduced the frets height on the first 3-5 frets. The problem wasn't solved completly. But it is now very much reduced to a level I am comfortable with.

All in all: I recommend a fret dressing for all JTV59 players who has discovered the same intonation issues playing chords in a open position.

wolbai.

Or you can just go for an Earvana nut to solve this problem. See how they work at http://www.earvana.com/technology2.htm.

BestRegards,

Daf

by silverhead on 2012-10-05 08:22:35

daferalo wrote:

Or you can just go for an Earvana nut to solve this problem. See how they work at http://www.earvana.com/technology2.htm.

BestRegards,

Daf

I am familiar with Earvana nuts, and I have one installed  on a couple of my guitars. They work great to handle normal and very minor de-tuning issues in a properly setup and intonated guitar.

However, the symptoms we are describing here are, I think, far beyond what an Earvana nut can compensate for.  I would be suprised but happy if it could fix these symptoms. Have you already tried an Earvana nut on an JTV-59 and found it to be a good solution?

by daferalo on 2012-10-05 08:46:44

Hi Silverhead,

Personally I have not had intonation problems with my JTV 59, just a proper setup was all it needed. Although, when pressing hard open chords (i. e. 1 to 5 fret) you can get out of tune, it is something that the playing technique can afford, and I have had no intonation problems, really. That is why I have not tried the earvana nut on my JTV, as I have not felt it is necessary. The nut that came with the JTV is very nice as it is self-lubricated.

But I have used it in other guitars, and for me it has been like a night-to-day difference. For example, I had intonation problems at 1 to 5 fret mostly with a Washburn guitar I had, and the earvana nut did solve the problem.

However, a fret dressing could be needed to. It depends on everyone.

Best Regards,

Daf

by silverhead on 2012-10-05 08:52:35

Thanks Daf. I'm going to go ahead with the fret dressing as part of the setup. In my case the intonation problems are more than my playing technique can handle!

There may also be minor variations in fret height among JTV-59s from the factory. Maybe mine was just setup too high from the get-go.

by daferalo on 2012-10-05 09:05:46

That is very very true. There can be several, and sometimes huge, physical differences between one guitar and another. It depens on the factory and the machine line used to build them. I do not know how the assembly line is for the JTV Korean models, but I expect those differences to be present between one and other guitar, unless an assembly line like the one used for the gibson custom models is used. Perhaps I've been a lucky guy!!!!.

Best Regards,

Daf

by silverhead on 2012-12-11 15:11:37

Just want to provide an update on my JTV-59 frets....

I replaced the factory jumbo size frets with normal size frets. For me it is much smoother to play now - less like a railoroad track, and the strings no longer are out of tune when fully depressed.

One thing I noticed, though, is that I had to raise the action just a touch from my normal level. I find the JTV modeling is extremely sensitive to fret buzz. I find that if there is any noticeable fret buzz it really affects the tone of the string through the modeling. Makes sense, I guess, since the DSP is driven by the string vibration as sensed by the saddle-mounted pickups. Any distortion from the natural vibration (e.g. fret buzz) will affect the DSP.  So I had to find a balance by tweaking the bridge height just enough to remove the buzzing without negatively affecting playability.

With that done, it plays and sounds like a dream. Happy camper!

by adessmith on 2012-12-13 20:36:01

I used to play a schecter C1+ before I got the JTV-59.
I remember having difficulty adjusting to the "extra jumbo" frets on that guitar.

Believe it or not, the variax actually has very low frets in comparison. I got used to only "pressing the string to the fret", and NOT squeezing all the way down to the fretboard.
The extra little "sharpness' I could get with additional pressure has actually become part of my vibrato technique. You just get the feel for it eventually...

Oh, not to mention, the taller frets give you more room to get your finger under the string when bending... so your finger doesnt slip off the top of the string when bending...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.