These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

SV HD100 preamp bypass
by Krank678 on 2012-08-14 23:40:42

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run all of my stompboxes (Wah, compressor, OD, distortions, eq, noise gate, delays and verbs) straight into the power amp input on the back of my amp, thus bypassing the SV's preamp section altogether?

I have all of these pedals hooked up to a 5 loop, true bypass looper so I would ideally like to plug my guitar into the loop switcher input and, out from that, into the power amp in of the amp (with all my pedals controlled by the looper) but I have no idea if the SV is capable of this function. I dont want to damage anything so thought I'd get some feedback from the forum first.

Also, does anyone run a similar setup? If so, what are the pros and cons? One of the distortions I have is an Amptweaker Tight Metal, which is designed for best performance into the poweramp input of an amp, i just dont know if running all my other distortions and OD's (Way Huge Green Rhino, Fulltone GT500 etc) will be as good in this setup as I am assuming they were intended to be placed in front of the amp, by design.

Thoughts? 

Re: SV HD100 preamp bypass
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-15 02:47:44

You could do it if you run the output of the effects at "line" level not instrument level.  It's not going to sound very good though for most things.

Cheers,

Crusty

Re: SV HD100 preamp bypass
by Krank678 on 2012-08-15 11:06:20

Thanks Crusty. I think I'm going to ditch the idea and just do it the conventional way then. I may have to purchase an alternative preamp if I'm going to do the above. I was just looking for a way around the SV preamp, which I am not too fond of.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.