These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

At line inputs(13-16) only basic dsp types (e.g.with 3 band eq) are possible !!! Why ???
by Ruben40 on 2012-08-15 05:50:26

Hi

I want to use the line-inputs(13/14) for bass-guitar and my acoustic guitar.

I want to change the dsp-type, but I can only select the basic dsp types with 3 band eq.

Why is it not possible to use here a dsp type e.g. with 6 band eq ?

Is there a dsp limitation for the line inputs ?

Thanks for info

Re: At line inputs(13-16) only basic dsp types (e.g.with 3 band eq) are possible !!! Why ???
by dboomer on 2012-08-15 08:46:04

In order to be able to provide the larger llist of processing on the first 12 channels, channels 13-16 have more limited options.  This is a limitation of the DSP.

You have the option of switching those inputs you mention back into the first twelve inputs and swap out with another input that does require less processing.  You can re-arrange where they sit on the encoders any way that makes sense.

Re: At line inputs(13-16) only basic dsp types (e.g.with 3 band eq) are possible !!! Why ???
by roadranger on 2012-09-01 10:53:24

I've been unable to find the sensitivity of the physical inputs 13-16. Do they have any gain at all? Can they be used with louder mic'd sources such as kick and guitar cabs?

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-01 12:11:04

If you are in tweak view and  the Input Tab is selected you have a Trim encoder. The inputs 13- 16 work well with dynamic microphones for kick or guitar cabs.

by fostervf16 on 2012-09-01 12:38:56

The spec sheet shows only trim controls on channels 1-12. So Arne are you saying that there is trim control also on 13-16? Spec sheet is kind of confusing if this is true. It does show A -12 analogue pad. But not trim.

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-01 13:21:41

The spec sheet is correct. And there is a trim control. The Trim is digital and controls the pad and allows you to adapt your input level. Of course this is not same as a pre amp. It is intended to allow your gain structure to be comfortable and even for processing dynamics, e.g. compressor,

by roadranger on 2012-09-01 13:28:48

I'd assume they would NOT have enough gain for a vocal mic? As long as they work with keys and mic'd kick and guitar cabs that's fine .

by roadranger on 2012-09-01 13:36:00

I'm kinda guessing any gain on these channels is "virtual" and not actual - kinda like a camera with digital zoom which loses resolution as the "zoom" is actuated? Assuming 24 bit converters giving up 8 of those would be inaudable but give us 256x "gain" .

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-01 13:40:20

I actually did use them with vocals and it worked fine. In my case the vocalist was not exactly whispering. As long as it is a standard dynamic microphone   in a normal distance this does work.  On the other hand, the case that you have to do that would not occur so often since you most likely have some line level sources you can patch to the line inputs. The M20d allows you to comfortably switch inputs at any time so the order does not matter like on a "traditional" mixer.

by fostervf16 on 2012-09-01 14:12:42

I'm still confused are you saying the trim control is just a pad? Or is it an adjustable trim? By pad it seems like the are 2 settings. Let's say 0db and -12 db. I want to know if I have full control over the gain. Why if I need to take down the gain a little. Can I lower it some or is the only way to lower it is by selecting -12db.

I guess I'm just confused about the whole gain thing with the 1/4 inputs.

At this point I am assuming it is like an old behringer powered mixer I had with no gain controls. It had a -10 db switch if inputs were clipping. I hated this because gains were not always optimal. The way to raise or lower a mic was with the volume control. If gains are not optimal then signal quality and signal noise can be affected. If something was clipping on the behringer in -10 db mode, and the signal had no volume control such as a mic, then I was stuck with a clipping signal.

by roadranger on 2012-09-01 14:26:20

As I said I think they are using a bit of mathematical magic to simulate gain . No big deal as long as that doesn't exceed about 48 db of "virtual gain". The pad gives them another 12db of range. Or the block diagram could be wrong?

by roadranger on 2012-09-01 14:28:22

Thanks!

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-01 14:30:28

The maximum input level on the line inputs is +21dBu. They do not clip easily at all. When you see it in front of you it becomes very clear. The digital gain control is adjustable and fills in below and above the pad.

If you have an extremely hot signal you can use the combi inputs. They have a maximum input level of +28dBu on the 1/4".

by Crispie on 2012-09-04 14:24:05

Hi,

When I plug something in to an input 13-16, I'm not able to tell the device that it is a kick drum, or miked guitar (by means of an icon). This is a shame. I'm still very new to this.

by rucademoura on 2012-09-04 17:57:56

On set up mode, if you have something pluged on those chanels it already have a line icon there. Then on the right upper corner with the line icon selected, click on the icon in edit selection! With the edit preset properties open, clic on the icon, then click show categories, then drums, chose your kick icon and ok! Voila!!! A kick on stage!!! Now on deep tweak mode you can change to a preset you want from the basic ones.

by Crispie on 2012-09-05 02:48:07

Oh yes, so it is - thanks. Really looking forward to trying it all out at the weekend.

by Crispie on 2012-09-05 03:11:03

Hi,

Just a quick question about this ... so in principle, can I physically connect a kick drum on an XLR lead to one of the 1-12 inputs, but route it somehow internally to one of the line inputs, and conversely route a source physically connected to say jack 13 to one of the 1-12 channel inputs?

Thanks.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.