These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500, mackie HR824 and QSC K12
by Serph on 2012-08-18 19:18:21

Well i'm looking for something that amplifies the pod hd500 without affecting it's sound or anything so i found 2 speakers or like they call them monitor speakers, (mackie HR 824) and (QSC K12)

Mackie HR824:

-They told me that these are good and they do not affect pod hd500 and that i should get a pair of these, well i don't know my self.

QSC K12:

i didn't find anything about this product only the fact that it's a PA speaker (i think) and that it can be used for live shows and small avenues but if they are good do i have to buy a pair too.

I hope you discuss both products and give more details about them, because i dont want to buy tube amps.

and can these be connected to the computer and help me record my stuff?

Re: HD500, mackie HR824 and QSC K12
by Serph on 2012-08-18 19:43:30

i want to mention a third product it's the KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 5 inch and thanks

by BigBob369 on 2012-08-19 00:06:32

These are PA speakers with built in amps, except the last one which is a self amplified studio monitor (With a 5" speaker).  They will all amplify your POD with very little coloration, especially as compared to guitar amps.

I have a 400watt  Alto 12" PA speaker and a Roland KC300 keyboard amp for amplifying my POD HD Bean.  They each sound great for this purpose and only cost me $250 and $350 respectively. 

You will be able to amplify your HD500 with low coloration using any of these products, yours or mine. All but the Rokit will be more than ample for stage work too.

by Serph on 2012-08-19 01:35:55

So you dont advice me to buy the rokit ? because i was going for the 8 inch and besides i dont want to buy mackie because it's expensive and i'll have to buy a pair from one of the products in mackie and k12 case they cost over 1300$ a pair, but rokit 8 inch cost 500$ a pair.

well another question in case you told me go for either mackie or k12 DO I HAVE TO buy a pair ?? i'm looking for the best quilty here, an i don't want to regret it later.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-19 05:06:24

You  don't need a pair of powered speakers unless you want to run stereo effects.  You can quite happily run a single speaker.  If you are recording then you can choose to go stereo or mono.  If Stereo then you need a pair.  For live the same choices apply but Mono is definitely simpler.

You can use any of these speakers for recording but the  QSC is  more for live sound and may not be optimal as studio speakers.  The Rokits and Mackies are designed for studio use and are less suited for live sound.  

Look also at the QSC10 which should be just fine for guitar (less so bass).

Are you planning to use these speakers for live or just for home/recording?  If just home then you are probably best off with the Mackies or Rokits IMHO.

by BMoe on 2012-08-19 05:25:30

Serph,

I own the HR824s, they sound great with HD500,  As Jim stated, the HR's are near monitor speakers (3-5 foot range) and made to use in a studio (home, project etc...)

And they are great to use in a recording atmosphere also.

by Serph on 2012-08-19 15:28:26

well thanks for the reply, but actually i was looking for something that amplify pod hd500 without tone loss and only for home/recording, so should i go for a pair off rokit because they are not expensive, if yes what cables do i need to connect the pair together and what is the setup between the pod and the pair speakers ?

by Serph on 2012-08-19 15:29:42

well thanks for the reply, but actually i was looking for something that amplify pod hd500 without tone loss and only for home/recording, so should i go for a pair off rokit because they are not expensive, if yes what cables do i need to connect the pair together and what is the setup between the pod and the pair speakers ?

by geppert on 2012-08-19 15:56:34

I also have the Mackie HR824 MKII speakers on Primacoustic pads. I run the PODHD500 through them all the time since I like having the sound up in front at ear level AND in stereo, especially for chorusing and delays. The Mackies straddle the computer display monitor spread about 3' apart and I sit about 2.5' in front directly in the middle. These Mackies do a fine job of it (I also use them for mixing music). One cavet however. The Mackies are full range studio quality nearfield speakers and obviously sound different than guitar amps (I use a DT25 head/cab) so I find that my saved preset tones need to be tweeked specifically for one playback system or the other. I run from the 1/4" outputs (L/R) into an 8 channel line mixer (so I can have my Mac Audio, Protools, Midi Modules, etc. etc. plugged in simulateously and relatively balanced between each other into the Mackies). The Pod goes XLR (Line 6 Link) to the DT25. This way I have either guitar amp or Mackies on demand at all times. I usually Spdif into the 003 for recording or you can also go XLR out (L/R) into the 003 (or whatever interface you are using). There are a few ways to do it. The POD500 is very versatile for output configurations.

I use AKG K701 headphones as another monitoring option. Killer headphones.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.