These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod X3 vs Pod HD Desktop
by Perish on 2012-08-20 16:54:43

Hi im new to the whole recording guitar thing and im interested in buying either the Pod X3, POD HD Desktop or POD 2.0.

So basically I want to know how close they are to each other in terms of processing power. I care very little about everything else the Pod offers other than the tone and how compatible it is with recording programs such as Cubase or Reaper and what I need to connect it to my computer directly.

If anyone has any info at all that would be very useful because like I said I'm new to the whole recording thing so any information is good information if it is on topic.

Thank you

Re: Pod X3 vs Pod HD Desktop
by TheRealZap on 2012-08-20 17:04:29

i'd ditch the pod 2.0 from consideration because it has no usb or audio capabilities for recording, although you could purchase another interface and record its outputs.

the x3 has some nice recording options, record wet/dry etc... +pod farm for reamping

but the pod hd wins for tone.

by Perish on 2012-08-20 17:07:03

Thanks man what are some other suggestions for an interface?

I didn't ask that because I wanted to avoid any bias on here.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-08-20 17:10:13

The HD series has more advanced modeling. the POD HD amp simulations are much more realistic and respond to you fingers much better than the rest which means there are more tones just by plucking or varying your pick attack. Briefly the the X3 and POD 2.0 are older technology compared with the HD. I'm sure there are a few who are used to the X3 sounds and aren't willing to change to HD but  most guitar players will hear the huge improvements that the HD brings. IF you're interested in recording the best quality tones, simply go with the HD. To me and to most who bought the HD,  even if the HD had only 3 to 4 amps  I'd still stick with the HD over having the seventy or so amps in the X3 of inferior quality.

by Perish on 2012-08-20 17:14:58

Thank you.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-08-20 18:43:50

You're welcome. Regarding connectivity and compatibility, the POD HD has a USB connection to PC and can be used as a sound card. The ASIO drivers that comes with the HD is compatible with Cubase and reaper and it's more robust than the POD X3 since the HD driver is USB2 and actually can't work or incompatible withe USB 1.

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-21 09:34:59

if you're heavy into recording, look at the hd pro

by meambobbo on 2012-08-21 11:46:42

I use an M-Audio Firewire Solo.  It's not much but it gets the job done very well.  It's firewire, and I bought a dedicated firewire PCI card like M-Audio recommended.  I get no pops or crackles and my latency is REAL low.  I run my Pod HD into it via SPDIF.

A lot of times the quality of an interface is determined by its A>D converters.  Well, if you mostly use SPDIF like me, that doesn't even matter.  As long as it has good driver support and a low latency, high bandwidth connection to your computer, it's all you need.

by DeAllen on 2013-03-20 17:27:05

I'm curious. My X3 Pro is so packed with options.....aside but not ignoring the 80+ guitar amps, 20+ bass amps and the vocal room chains (which used with my mic are really intuitive) then there's the POD HD Pro.....less amps and no vocal rooms (unless I missed something) and rather bare bones. Some in the industry claim the stripping down of the HD had to do with what one will pay in this economy so creating a rack unit guitar sim now competing with the mass amounts of inexpensive to free soft sim plugins out there, forced Line 6 to scale down. Understand, not trying to tick anyone off or start a p*#sing contest...really want an honest informed answer from real, hardcore users rather than the Line 6 company hype. I know LOOKS aren't everything as we all have 1/2 rack to seingle space rack USB interfaces and virtual mixers doing what we paid $5000 to do 10 years ago.

Looking past the incredible ins/outs and options of the X3 Pro over the HD Pro there's the detail of so many amps. Being the claim that the 22-25 amps in the HD are so much better in quality sounds good (yes, heard the comprison of generic tictacs verses real ones....you get less but are so much more in taste) but if one can't have 80+ amps and all the parameters to dial in your sound (or dual tone sound) doesn't the pilot have a problem? Of course willing to acknowledge the same can be said for the 25 amps in the HD that "with 25 choices if you can't find your tone. you have an issue" but then, why have simulations for Bogner, ENGL, Fender Bassman, muliple Marshall's, etc if there's no need?

This is coming from a user since the original POD 2.0 Pro came out and still get compliments on my tones of those 11 year old recordings! I hated the XT as it was more digital, less organic sounding.

Lastly there are those that comment that, while the HD has some intense tones they didn't include a strong enough processor to keep up often getting system overload warnings. So isn't that like having a Mercedes with a Pinto motor? LOL! I hear less of those complaints with the X3.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions...

by TheRealZap on 2013-03-27 17:42:54

DeAllen wrote:

Lastly there are those that comment that, while the HD has some intense tones they didn't include a strong enough processor to keep up often getting system overload warnings. So isn't that like having a Mercedes with a Pinto motor? LOL! I hear less of those complaints with the X3.

Thanks and sorry for so many questions...

no.... that's like a missle with a motor capable of hitting cuba from the usa but not russia

it's a completely different set of models that require alot more processing to run,,, and it comes with a great deal more flexibility...

i can have 4 delays if i want.... can't do that in your "car"

by meambobbo on 2013-04-06 13:59:07

Yeah, it's also worth pointing out that it's not as if you're playing along and all the sudden the unit bugs out due to system overload.  It's when you're dialing in a patch and add an amp or effect that maxes out the available DSP that you get the error.  The unit has a fair amount of DSP.  Reverbs, pitch effects, and amp models consume the most DSP.  So long as you don't use multiple of those or dual amps, you should have no problem using all 8 effects blocks.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.