These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

problems with Variax 300 jack & model selector knob.
by rumrill1 on 2012-08-23 12:03:48

The output jack on my Variax 300 has intermittant dropouts: sound is there for a bit, then nothing. If I jiggle the cord or push it in tighter the sound returns but doesn't stay long. I was using a PC network cable with no problems for a while because the plastic connector lock on the Line 6 Variax cable I had broke. So I just bought a new Variax cable and the guitar doesn't work at all with that one. I sprayed contact cleaner into the jack (bad idea?) but that didn't affect it one way or the other.

Any ideas?

Another problem is that the 10-way model selector knob has a mind of its own. It will switch models without my touching it, or NOT switch when I do. Problem seems to be concentrated in the 1st 2 or 3 positions, so I've used Workbench to move the models I like to the other end of the knob's travel.

If it can't be fixed, is it possible to get new guts for a 300? It was a cheap guitar but it does everything any Variax does (except the Tyler models), and I put a nice Warmouth neck on it so it's a real good player. I need to get it working properly.

Re: problems with Variax 300 jack & model selector knob.
by rumrill1 on 2012-08-23 15:12:44

I didn't mention that the jack in question is not the 1/4" jack but the other, digital, one. . .

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.