These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Has anyone bought any of the "alternative" power adapters from eBay and used them without issues?
by Astaroth_CY on 2012-08-24 18:39:44

I know there are threads about the power adapter already, and the answer everyone always gives is "STICK TO THE OFFICIAL LINE 6 ONE" and every time an alternative is put forward, everyone screams "THIS WILL DESTROY YOUR POD DO NOT BUY IT" etc.. I am willing to take that at face value, but the fact remains that the Line 6 power adapter is incredibly overpriced, and surely some people would have gone for one of the alternatives.

I'd like to simply hear from people who went out and bought one of these alternative adapters anyway, and have boldly used them on their Pods. Please name the eBay seller you bought from and describe the item you got. Give as much detail as possible in terms of how much you've used it and for how long, and ANYTHING weird that has happened since you started using it.

This is purely out of interest, I am vaguely in the market for a spare adapter but am not desperate to jump the gun on anything, so all I'm doing is asking for experiences. I have read through all the aforementioned threads and am aware of the various issues, so there is no need to discuss those.

Re: Has anyone bought any of the "alternative" power adapters from eBay and used them without issues?
by mazuwa on 2012-08-25 02:05:59

Just take a look at the original power adapter:

My HD500 adapter is called DC-3G, and it has got 9VDC 3A OUTPUT.

If you can find another adapter that has got exactly 9VDC and AT LEAST 3A (9V x 3A >= 27W), it will be o.k.

NEVER connect another adapter with e.g. 12VDC, or 9VAC or so.

If you had one with 9VDC, but with less than 3A output at the same time, don't use it - too weak and it would destroy your device.

It might be easy to find cheap adapters with 9VDC output, but I think the price comes from 3A.

Furthermore you cannot always rely on the specification of adapters from some other companies.

Re: Has anyone bought any of the "alternative" power adapters from eBay and used them without issues?
by TheRealZap on 2012-08-25 06:49:56

the line6 adapter is a bit special though... being that it works globally by only adapting the plug...

and it's also some sort of self switching to conserve power when nothing is drawing....

but as the other poster pointed out... get the specs right and another adapter would work.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-26 13:45:06

Just be aware that, along with getting the right voltage and current specs, you must also consider:

• Connector size.  There is a thread somewhere around these parts that gives the precise dimensions of the original connector (the plug that connects to the Pod).
  • Polarity.  The adapter must connect the positive and negative connections to the correct terminals (ring and tip) on the connector.
  • Filtering.  Along with a transformer:  there is circuitry in the adapter to reduce hum and noise and smooth off the 'ripple' that comes in from the mains connection.  Cheapo adaoters may be found wanting in that area

If you can hit all of these bases then you are in good shape .

by phil_m on 2012-08-27 12:55:22

I honestly don't recall anyone saying that a 3rd party adapter will destroy the POD, although, I suppose that if you get one that's drastically different than the specs, you could run into issues. The other thing to consider, though, is technically if you're powering the POD with a third party adapter and you have issues, your warranty is voided.

So I wouldn't say don't do it at all, but like others have said here, just be careful that you're getting one that meets the proper specs.

by PremiumJones on 2012-08-28 01:28:09

Seems to me that there is actually a bit of wiggle room with the POD HDs... I have been using a Sony SCPH70100 adapter (8.5V, 5.65A) for about a year and a half, with the POD on pretty much all day everyday, with no problems.

by MojoPlasma on 2012-08-28 11:13:48

Well I'm on my second original adapter from Line6. It is still doing the same thing the first one did.

The first one began to blink power on/off at first power up, and this was only a week after buying the 500 new.

The second replacement adapter) began doing the same thing a few weeks after getting it.

It has always stayed on thought after first successful power up... until this weekend that is!!!

It crapped out on stage!!

Unacceptable!! and I'm just a hack amateur.

So there has to be solution. I can't believe it is considered ok by L6 that their product is this faulty.

maybe there needs to be a thread for some kind of official count as to how many people are having trouble.

Maybe it's such a minor blip on the scope that it doesn't rank any attention from L6, but I kinda doubt that.

...anywho... just venting

nothing to see here... move along people... move along

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-28 16:04:12

if two of them did the same thing, maybe there is some intermittent/partial problem with the pod input. i've had mine plugged in for a year straight.

by phil_m on 2012-08-29 06:15:52

That's kind of my thought. If a piece of equipment fails once, I'd probably suspect that piece of equipment for being defective. If a second piece fails in exactly the same way, I'd start being suspicious of something else. It's possible that both power supplies were defective, but it could be something else causing them to fail.

by MojoPlasma on 2012-08-30 08:58:53

Yea, I possibly assumed away too much after hearing all the problems associated with the adapter. I figured getting two bad ones wasn't too far fetched.

I do notice they both have the same, what I consider, flaw in that when you plug them in, if you get a steady-on green light you're fine, but if you get a flashing green the power

will blink on the POD in sync with the light on the adapter. I have begun plugging the adapter into the wall first, then checking for steady green before plugging the

end into the pod.

I also found that if it gives a flashing green i could unplug and tap it against something (this is both adapters btw) and it would begin working correctly, whereas just unplugging and re-plugging

did not help at all.

I think that since I have a spare I may crack one open and take a look at what may be going on inside.

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-30 17:45:33

you said. " but if you get a flashing green the power

will blink on the POD in sync with the light on the adapter." this would lead me to the pod since both p.s. act the same, i.e. tapping them against something resets the glich caused by the fault in the pod. perhaps a grounding fault. if i'm wrong, i'll be the first time!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.