These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

Feedback-Issue after 2 hours of gig... anyone?
by eccofive on 2012-08-27 00:18:41

hey.

we used the m20d for 4 gigs now. everything works fine so far but there is one little problem:

after 2 hours of playing we get feedback on the main vocals. it sounds like the m20d raises the

upper frequencies of the vocals. it stops as the fbs jumps in. so it is not a big issue but i noticed that 4 times now.

when i lower the upper frequencies manually the feedbacks are gone.

maybe someone noticed that issue, too.

Re: Feedback-Issue after 2 hours of gig... anyone?
by ArneLine6 on 2012-08-27 08:22:33

I have used the M20s a lot on "hot" stages and try to understand what happens here.

The M20d does not raise frequencies by itself. Could it be that after 2 hours someone changes the amps, output levels or

eq's ?

The feedback suppression filters are very narrow notches and usually not audible. Do you have lower frequency feedbacks before this happens ?

by eccofive on 2012-08-27 09:46:24

hey.

no one changed anything. it works perfectly so far.

and i had no feedback-issues with lower frequencies.

it's just a short-time-issue. it vanishes after a few minutes. :-)

thanx

by dboomer on 2012-08-27 09:50:38

When you say "no one changed anything" ... did any vocal mics move their positions at any time?

by eccofive on 2012-08-27 10:33:34

no, they didn't move.

but i read somewhere that the m20d auto-corrects the volume while the gig runs.

so, when we play more harder to the end of the gig the m20d does some corrections

so the tone won't crack.

we use those old-school "elvis-like" mics from sure. they are very sensitive for higher frequency-feedbacks.

maybe it's a mix of it all...

by dboomer on 2012-08-27 15:24:13

The "trim tracking" doesn't change the volume ... just the gain structure and it only turns it down. Gain structure does not cause feedback but gain (level) does.

There's a good chance the when you "play harder to the end of the gig" tht's what is pushing you over into feedback.  The feedback supressor will not "eliminate" feedback but it will help you manage it.  But once you get past the  threshold you will get feedback.  Basically the feedback supressor just grabs the first 12 frequencies that feedback would have occured.  So the amount of possible improvement will depend on how well your system is setup in more tradidional terms.  Feedback from the mains is not typical for most users.  Maybe repositioning your mics further back from the frontline may help.  This is somewhat limited by ceiling height.  If you have low ceilings you will not be able to get as much gain before feedback as if you have a 30 foot procenium (or are outdoors)

by rucademoura on 2012-09-02 20:11:53

Feedback supression on stagescape is smashing my vocals! If I use it the vocals don't stay linear in volume! At calm parts the sound is GREAT, at hot parts the vocals go Down in the mix! I turned off feedback supression and the vocals were fine...Anyone with this problem!!!???

by dboomer on 2012-09-03 09:58:33

That's interesting because the feedback suppressor performs the exact same work regardless of level. Are you running into the Stagesource speakers or into some other system? 

Could you make a recording of this happening and email it to us?

by Sussyminds on 2012-09-03 11:40:27

HI there rucademoura are you sure it's the feedback suppressor, it sounds more like the limiter kicking in. I had a similar problem and found that when I reset the trim level it sorted the problem straight away

YOu more than likely have more knowledge than me as I'm just a beginner of sorts, but I thought I'd share my findings with your good self

by rucademoura on 2012-09-03 14:51:04

Hi dboomer! I'm using a L3 s, L3t and a L3m. Just the stagesacpe, no external processing units on the mix! As soon as can I will record some tests and email to you! Thanks!

by rucademoura on 2012-09-03 14:53:33

Reseting the trim level is a good way to solve this in certain way but it still happened! I turned off limiter and compression modules to be sure of that, and the only thing that solved was turning off feedback supresser!

by Sussyminds on 2012-09-04 05:37:29

Oh I see, it's obviously not the same problem that I had then, I'm sure one of the experts at line 6 will be able to advise you better

Good luck

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.