These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Setting up POD HD500 as a midi controller for Ableton Live?
by franklawrence on 2012-08-27 14:10:34

I want to use the HD500 as a midi controller in Ableton Live, to start and stop recording clips for live looping purposes.   Has anyone done this?   Live does see the HD500, but when I assign footswitches to controls in Live, it does not work.    I can assign keys on my midi keyboard and it works fine.    I think the HD500 is not sending the right type of midi message to control Live.  I've tried programming the HD500 to send midi note-on messages, which is what the keyboard does, but still no luck.  I'm probably doing something stupid like not saving the edits property, but I just have not been able to figure this one out.   Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Setting up POD HD500 as a midi controller for Ableton Live?
by fledisma on 2012-08-27 20:17:34

If you are on PC, you should be able to use POD HD500 as a midi controller for Ableton Live.  Make sure that you use the MIDI port/s since MIDI over USB is not supported on the HD500.  You will need to assign MIDI message on the foot switch/es that you are planning to use to control Live.  Then, map those MIDI messages in Live.  Hope this helps!

by franklawrence on 2012-08-27 22:34:37

Yes, I'm using the MIDI out from the HD500, not the USB out.   I have both PC and Mac laptops, with POD HD500 Edit running on both.  Assigning MIDI to controls in Live is easy.  I have done my best to assign MIDI messages to the foot switches on the HD500, but that is the part that just not working.  If anyone can offer a step by step "how to" I would be eternatly grateful!

by fledisma on 2012-08-28 04:59:34

Can you provide some details on how you connect HD500 to your computer? Is it HD500 MIDI out to a MIDI to USB interface or some synth or controller keyboard?  Are you getting any MIDI signals from HD500 to the computer at all?  There is a MIDI signal indicator in Live on the top right hand side of Live window next to the 'D' icon.  It flashes in yellow if MIDI signal is received from HD.  Also, make sure that you have the latest HD500 firmware and driver.  I have mine setup with Live and it works with no problems.

by mazuwa on 2012-08-28 05:24:34

Over a USB to MIDI box

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1.html

">http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1.html">http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1.html

by franklawrence on 2012-08-28 09:11:16

Fledisma,

Yes, Live is receviing MIDI from the HD500.   Ive got a MIDI cable from the HD500 MIDI out to the in of an Mbox 2pro.   The Mbox firewire out goes to the firewire in of my Macbook pro.  When I step on a footswtich on the HD500, I do see the MIDI indicator light flash yellow in the upper right hand corner of Live, next to the "D".

To try to assign HD footswitches to functions in Live, I'm clicking on the "MIDI" button in Live, upper righthand corner.  Everything goes purple/blue.  Then I clck on the function I want to control, say clip 1 on track 1, then step on the HD footswitch, then click on the "MIDI" button again.   When in "MIDI" assign mode in Live, the display in Live for clip 1 on track 1 then says "1/PB".   When I step on the same footswitch on the HD, nothing happens.   When I do this process with my MIDI keyboard, the display in Live (in MIDI asign mode) shows "1/C1".   When I hit C1 on the keyboard, it launches the clip, or puts the clip in record mode if I've armed the track to record.

So it seems that Live wants to see note on MIDI messages, but the HD is sending a different type of messege.   I went into the HD edit software and tried to change the MIDI messages to "note on" but Live is still seeing "PB" messages rather than note numbers.

by fledisma on 2012-08-28 16:13:55

It seems that the problem is on the HD500 foot switch MIDI assignments.  Try assigning MIDI note C2 to HD500 foot switch FS1 in one of the presets.  Using POD HD500 Edit and your HD500 connected to the computer using USB:

- Run POD HD500 Edit

- Select one of the presets

- On the 'CONTROLLERS' tab (this is where you see FX, AMPS, MIXER, CONTROLLERS, SET LIST menu boxes below the signal chain), go to MIDI ASSIGN.  Under FOOTSWITCH/EXP, select FS1 by turning the knob next to it on the left side.  Under MESSAGE, select Note On (using the knob on the left).  Under NOTE, select C2.  Under MIDI CHANNEL, set it to Base.  Under VELOCITY, set it to 100

- Now, you need to send this modifed preset to HD500 by clicking the 'Selected' button under SEND on the upper left hand side of HD500 Edit.  Make sure that the modified preset is seleted before clicking the "Selected Button"

Now in Live, map FS1 foot switch to clip 1 on track 1.  Once you mapped it, on the MIDI mappings, you should see, "1, Note C1, 1-MIDI, Slot 1".  On Clip 1 Track 1 slot, you should see 1/C1.  Note that the MIDI Note is one octave lower in Live (HD is C2 and in Live, it's C1) and it's fine.  Test and hopefully, it works.  If it doesn't, let me know.  I'll be happy to send you my HD500 preset as well as a test Live project that has the MIDI mapping.

Fled

by franklawrence on 2012-08-28 23:14:59

Fled,

Thanks very much for your help.  When I read your post, I thought that the step I was missing was clicking the "Selected" button under the Send option in HD500 Edit.   But I tried it and Live is still getting "PB" MIDI message rather than "C2".   I found the MIDI Mappings window in Live, and it is showing "Pitchbend" under teh "Note/Control" column, so that's apparently what the HD is sending.   I'm encouraged that you have it working, so I know there's some little dumb thing that I"m missing.   Just haven't figured out what it is yet.   FYI, I realized that in HD500 Edit, you have to select a MIDI Channel to send on before you case select  "Message", "Note" or "Velocity". 

I'd really appreciate it if you could send me your HD500 preset and test LIve project with MIDI mappings working.  I'm not sure how to do that...

by fledisma on 2012-08-29 04:57:41

I wonder if maybe the preset is not being saved on HD500.  Can you check the preset that you modified on HD500 and see if FS1 is assigned to Note C2?  To check, go to your HD500 hardware pedal, select the preset, hold the 'MOVE' button (below the navigation button, the one with left, right, up, down arrows) for a couple of seconds, this will bring up the 'ASSIGN MIDI' page.  If FS1 is not selected, use the navigation button to select it. It should say:

[1] MIDI CH: Base (or whatever you assigned)           NOTE: C2  [3]

[2] MESSAGE: NOTE ON                                VELOCITY: 100 [4]

You can private message me with your e-mail address and I can send you the files.

by franklawrence on 2012-08-29 07:31:33

Yes, the present is in the HD500.   I followed your directions, and all the parameters appear as I set them in the HD Edit software.

by fledisma on 2012-08-29 18:51:49

Something seems not right on your HD500.  FS1 should be transmitting C2 note but instead, it's sending Pitch Bend message which is not even assignable to any footswitches or expression pedals.  What is the version of your HD500 flash firmware?  To check, on you HD500, press and hold the 'VIEW' button for a couple of seconds.  You should see the 'SETUP' menu on the display.  If it's not on page 1 (1/10 on the top left of the display), navigate using the navigation buttons.  On page 1, look for FLASH FW and next to it is the version number.  If it's not V2.02, you may want to download the latest firmware from Line6 Download website and install it on your HD500.  If it's already V2.02, you may want to try to do a global setting reset on your HD500 and see if it helps.  See this link http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222for the global reset.  I can't remember if it wipes your presets out or not so you may want to back them up using HD500 Edit software.  If this does not help, then you may want to submit a support ticket to Line6.  Sorry. can't think of anything else to help you.  Good luck.

by franklawrence on 2012-08-29 20:34:18

Its "FLASH FW:V2.02"

I'll try the global reset.

Thanks!

by franklawrence on 2012-08-31 22:43:10

So I think I figured out why I was having trouble.  In System Setup: Utilities options, I changed the Footswitch Mode from "ABCD" to "FS 5-8" mode. 

Then Ableton started seeing note on MIDI messages, rather than Pitch Bend.

Appendix B of the Advanced Guide says it plain as day: "Note that footswitches FS5 - FS8 will only transmit your confired MIDI assignments when their Setup option is set to the FS5 - FS8 "Pedalboard Mode".

RTFM.

by fledisma on 2012-09-01 09:04:22

My unit seems to have a different behavior.  If I set 'FS Mode' to ABCD, Live sees MIDI messages from FS1 to FS4 and none from FS5 to FS8 even though they are configured to send Note messages.  If I set 'FS Mode' to 'FS5-8', Live sees MIDI messages from FS1-FS8.  Anyway, I'm glad that you finally sorted things out.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.