These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Relay Digital Wireless

Drop outs with Relay 50 system?
by louderthan on 2012-08-27 16:05:25

Love the sound of my multiple Relay 50 and 90 units but I play on cruise ships alot and, in that environment, I get lots of drop outs during our performances. Would this new firmware 2.0 upgrade help at all? I've been through all the other wireless 'do's and don'ts'. i.e. the receiver is at my feet, batteries are fresh, antenae firmly attached etc. I know modern cruise ship shoowrooms are a dificult RF environments, but the LINE6 bullet feaures for these units states: 'Exclusive DCL™ (Digital Channel Lock) technology locks out interference' Then why is this happening? Alot.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, log my vote for a Line6 IEM system!

Re: Drop outs with Relay 50 system?
by dboomer on 2012-08-28 09:11:36

Interference may not be your problem.  I suspect that a cruise ship is mainly metal and that causes reflections and those radio reflections are the issue.  An upgrade may help.

Have you gone through all the other steps in the troubleshooting guide (under the documents tab)?

by louderthan on 2012-08-29 10:34:50

Thanks. I'll try the update. I've tried all the other suggestions in the Troubleshooting guide.

Still not clear to me how radio reflections, or anything else can interfere with a system with DCL.

The ships Shure wireless systems ( they do full on production shows with numerous mics on the same stage) work flawlessly.

by dboomer on 2012-08-29 11:25:21

The "interference" that we are referring to is audio interference.  You will never experience any audio interference during the transmission of Line 6 wireless as only the encyrpted signal can actually make audio and everything else is rejected.

In order for the DCL to function the receiver must be able to "read" the encrypted signal.  It is possible for relfections to become so strong that a receiver cannot.  The Shures work at a much lower frequency so in some rooms affect us more than them and the other way around.  Of course reflections are only one possibility and may not be your problem at all.

by louderthan on 2012-09-05 13:40:13

Thanks for your responses. Be nice to know what's causing these drop out issues. I see that all my transmitters are the older version so they will need to go back to the factory for updates. Would you happen to know the turn around time and the update service charges? I may have a week next month when I can send all my systems in.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.