These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV 75w - No sound after startup
by caseybowman on 2012-08-29 13:19:59

I recently bought this amp and up until now (I've owned it for less than a month) it has sounded great. Now, when I start up the amp, there is no sound produced. I don't recall doing anything different in the time I had it except for normal use. First of all, I have done a factory reset, twice, to be sure. To describe the problem in detail: I flip the power switch on and the amp makes the popping sound it usually makes when you change to a different setting or just turn the amp on. But immediately after the popping sound, the sound just fades out to the point where you can't hear anything at all. In addition, starting the amp while plucking strings on my guitar produces the normal sound I'd expect to hear, but it fades away within 1-2 seconds. I normally have the channel volume to the max and I usually set my master volume to 10 o'clock. I'm thinking of taking it to a service center, but I thought I'd post this on here first to see if anyone else has encountered this problem. Thank you in advance.

Re: Spider IV 75w - No sound after startup
by fflbrgst on 2012-08-30 05:44:55

It definitely sounds like you will need to bring it to a service center.  Have you tried putting it into manual mode, or switching the presets when the volume fades to see if anything happens?  It almost sounds like the noise gate is kicking in with bad settings.

The one other thing you can do is start the amp in Test Mode - hold the Tap button in while turning on the power.  Note that this bypasses the DSP-preamp, so keep the volume down on your guitar, then turn it up gradually.  If you get sound, then it's something in the preamp is at fault, if no sound, then it's the amplifier section itself at fault.

Re: Spider IV 75w - No sound after startup
by caseybowman on 2012-08-30 12:41:54

Thanks for your reply, when going to check, and changing the volume on my guitar, it started playing normally. I don't know why I didn't check this out beforehand, but I guess I assumed I left the volume knob on my guitar the same as I always do. I think one of my siblings decided to play with my stuff without me noticing. Time to talk to them again about not touching my stuff. Thanks for your help!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.