These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Status of HDs wrt Soldano Models
by kdog on 2012-08-31 08:49:00

Hey Guys,

I am an old school POD guy, am stuck in a long term remote assignment for work, only gear I have is one beater guitar and my trusty XT Bean. I was thinking about upgrading it to an HD Bean since it looks like I will not be able to get back to my complete rig for a couple of months yet maybe even six months or longer, but I have taken a solemn vow to not purchase any modeling product that does not have at least one of a PV5150 or SLO100 model (seriously).

I've been mostly unplugged from the cutting edge of PODdom since the HD released.

So... I'm wondering: what is the status of the SLO model for the HD units? I know the 300 has one already. Given L6's history I would expect them to roll this into other units. The bean would probably have the most long term value for me, so I'd strongly prefer the desktop solution. Has L6 released an update for the Bean/500 yet? If not has there been any official confirmation of a plan to add it? If there was a plan I could at least pull the trigger knowing I would get it at some point.

Re: Status of HDs wrt Soldano Models
by silverhead on 2012-08-31 09:03:35

There has been official confirmation of the plan to add the Soldano (as well as the other models) that are now available in the HD300/400. The HD500/Desktop/Pro firmware update is expected soon although no release date has been announced.

by MerlinFL on 2012-08-31 09:48:22

Great to know - who made this official confirmation from Line 6?  I look for to the one of the better models all previous Line 6 amp have had in their arsenal.

by kdog on 2012-08-31 11:41:11

That is awesome that it is officially confirmed. I figured that was probably the plan internally, since I know L6 has always tried to make their technology available in a wide variety of formats to suit their customer needs. But I don't want to drop the coin without at least knowing there's a public commitment of some sort in place.

by Jeffsco on 2012-08-31 14:04:19

Great News. I will be keeping my HD500 then. The Soldano in my XTLive is my mainstay, go to sound. Couldn;'t find anything comparable in the HD500. Was going to flog the 500.....but now....

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-01 04:47:45

Like I said some weeks ago, when they gave the Soldano update for the HD300&400 models:

I think that Line 6 company is more interesting to sell that "low" series now, because the HD500 is so easy to sell (like I see) so they don´t need to do so much effort now, in comparison with the 300&400 that they need a "little kick" for sell more (the Soldano models and the other virtual amps).

"Soon" for Line 6 sound different to us; "soon" mean, how many weeks/months at now?

Well, they are doing what they want, sell, not give a best product to the people that pay more and the marketing part of the web say (see the differences between the models and take the conclution about what model must to give you more and look the price), and if I paid for the best serie in that moment (HD500) I less the "VIP" options now, for me don´t was free and nobody gave me the money like a present for have the POD HD500, I paid for the best and complete product from L6 (I wanted more effects, amps etc...)... and you can see the new strategy for sell more HD300:

http://line6.com/news/general/1314

So...">http://line6.com/news/general/1314">http://line6.com/news/general/1314

So...maybe the Soldano model for the HD500 probably will come when they sell some more HD300 units...  bussines are bussines ... and the 500/Pro users continuing in the second place with the amps models ... I said?... bussines are bussines

by meambobbo on 2012-09-02 16:59:24

i think they confirmed it on their facebook page, saying that the new amp models would be available on bean/500/pro as soon as they were fully tested and ready to release.  i believe it mentioned that they developed them for 300/400 first.  they didn't give a reason as to why, but one can assume it was due to the lengthy delay between fw v 2.0 for 500/bean/pro and 300/400

by lforward00 on 2012-09-04 07:58:57

There is no need to feel like you are in second place. You will get the soldano models, no doubt about it.

In the meantime, you can add all the amp models in the world to the 300 but you cannot equalize any them very well (unlike the 500).

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-04 10:59:55

Yes I understand, but also I said that is a strategy for sell more HD300 units because is more easy sell HD500 units. And the 2 strategies at this moment are:

-New models (4 if I remember well)

-Pod Farm free

Is ok, but also not good that if you pay for have a priority you have less less amps, like now. Is something about bussines, for the and for me in this case, I paid for more options and want more options (amps in this cases). Greetings

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-04 11:57:30

no matter how many amps you have, they won't makre you a better player.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-09-04 12:12:52

alfmetal70 wrote:

I paid for more options and want more options (amps in this cases).

No, you paid for what it had when you bought it. Really, you're making a mountain out of a molehill, the Soldano will be here very soon.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-09-04 12:25:06

alfmetal70 wrote:

Like I said some weeks ago, when they gave the Soldano update for the HD300&400 models:

I think that Line 6 company is more interesting to sell that "low" series now, because the HD500 is so easy to sell (like I see) so they don´t need to do so much effort now, in comparison with the 300&400 that they need a "little kick" for sell more (the Soldano models and the other virtual amps).

I think you are reading way, way too much into this.

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-04 15:06:52

what? I never said that, I never will expect something like that from a POD HD, maybe I don´t need try to be a better player buying a product because I used money with teacher for years, if is for be a better player the classes are the rigth option for me (also I do classes), so listen what I did with an unprofessional product (I am not a virtuous but maybe a decent player I think)

http://www.goear.com/listen/66eb57f/demo-guitarra-acalvo-lp-jazz-alfredo-pena

Mr_">http://www.goear.com/listen/66eb57f/demo-guitarra-acalvo-lp-jazz-alfredo-pena">http://www.goear.com/listen/66eb57f/demo-guitarra-acalvo-lp-jazz-alfredo-pena

Mr_Arkadin: Well, if somebody think that "you have what you paid in that moment", is totally in their rigth and is correct, if other person paid also thinking in the "plus" that carry a product with the future updates (paying for some product that you think that will be better in tone with the months) also is in their rigth; or not?

Every one buy with their expectatives, and everyone have the rigth in their own reason

P.S.: I think that the POD HD is enough professional machine in this moment, and sure could be better in tone, I feel that the rigth for the new amps models could be for all the series (300, 400, 500 and pro) or to the high serie first, that is very easy to understand for a customer

by Krontab on 2012-09-05 02:03:18

Not to kick this horse too much more but , I do understand the sentiment that people have. If you bought what is assumed to be the flagship product of the line, you might expect that it would receive updates first. I do agree that the HD500 is pretty model rich to begin with and this is of little concern on the whole. Another way to view this is that the HD300 and HD400 users are the user acceptance testers, threshing out the model bugs before the HD500 users get the more tested version.

Given that developers time needs to be focused on one product line or another, and it is obvious that there are two similar but separate product lines here, there are two ways that Line 6 could have proceeded. The first would have been decide that release A must be achieved for both product lines before public release. This would take longer for new models to be made available as there would be no further development on models until both had achieved release A. Also people would complain that Line 6 was holding back as models would be coupled to the releases on both lines achieving the same level.

To Illustrate First Option Timeline:

Development on 500 series starts
500 version A With Amp Model Set Version A is achieved
Development on 400 series starts
400 Version A With Amp Model Set Version A is achieved
Public Release for both series Version A with Model Set A

500 version B With Amp Model Set Version B is achieved
400 Version B With Amp Model Set Version B is achieved
Public Release for both series Version B with Model Set B

and so on....

The second approach is to release based on what product line is currently being worked on. This would flip the "bleeding edge" between the lines so models could be released as initially developed. So 500 series gets version A, then 400 series gets version B, then 500 gets version C. In this case each version brings new amp models with it and addresses bugs and enhancements specific to the product lines themselves. Effectively decoupling the model releases from the product lines allowing the amp models to progress at a rate faster than the product line specific code.

To Illustrate Second Option Timeline:

500 version A With Amp Model Set Version A is achieved
Public Release 500 series Version A with Model Set A

400 Version A With Amp Model Set Version B is achieved
Public Release for 400 series Version A with Model Set B

500 version B With Amp Model Set Version C is achieved
Public Release 500 series Version B with Model Set C

400 Version B With Amp Model Set Version D is achieved
Public Release for 400 series Version B with Model Set D

and so on....

In conclusion the second approach seems to be the strategy being taken and in the end benefits both product lines through getting the new amp model code out faster by not waiting for both product line specific code to catch up. It seems unfair when you are waiting for your product line to get the latest amps though. One thing that could speed things up is if the developer pool was increased to do parallel development, but that would at least double the cost of development representing less return on investment for Line 6.

by mput on 2012-09-05 02:16:31

to toneman

very profound... adds absolutely nothing to the conversation

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-05 07:34:25

shut up

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-05 07:38:00

Hope to see some update soon, and I really hope they listened to the forum and decided to finally add a real good EQ ... that would be Xmass in summer ...

Hans

=> My HD500 in action ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZF8Ebga0A

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-09-05 11:44:40

alfmetal70 wrote:

Mr_ Arkadin: Well, if somebody think that "you have what you paid in that moment", is totally in their rigth and is correct, if other person paid also thinking in the "plus" that carry a product with the future updates (paying for some product that you think that will be better in tone with the months) also is in their rigth; or not?

No, not really. Certainly you can expect what you like from Line 6, but if they don't deliver exactly your expectations that were never promised in the first place then you'll always be disappointed.

Really, looking at some of the lengthy responses here people are spending far too much time over-thinking this and not enough time playing.

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-05 12:41:50

+1

"Really, looking at some of the lengthy responses here there people are spending far too much time over-thinking this and not enough time playing"

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-06 04:27:44

Mr_Arkadin, I think we all know that when the HD500 shipped that new updates would come, because there were few amps and no bass or acoustic guitar support, so your statement, "you paid for what it had" is a little out of context here, for me the HD500 won't be finished until they provide real EQ's with at least musical parameters istead of % and some basic amps like a soldano and a JC120. Sure we can play with it, but it's not finished for me, and I also bought it knowing that new updates would come, so crossing fingers here they will finally decide to add a good EQ, which during my poll a few months ago was n°1 on the wishlist for most users here http://line6.com/support/polls/1138

Cheers,

Hans

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-06 07:05:26

+1, that is my point, some people (for example: me) bougth the HD500 for the updates like the "plus" (and knoying that the POD HD500 in that moment was very good option, the best in the line). For me was very but very good the update for the microphones preamp (and was something completly new for the HD series). Everyone have their own reason for use/have the HD500, and everyone have the rigth because are their fundaments. Greetings

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-06 07:10:40

hansvaneven wrote:

Mr_Arkadin, I think we all know that when the HD500 shipped that new updates would come, because there were few amps and no bass or acoustic guitar support, so your statement, "you paid for what it had" is a little out of context here, for me the HD500 won't be finished until they provide real EQ's with at least musical parameters istead of % and some basic amps like a soldano and a JC120. Sure we can play with it, but it's not finished for me, and I also bought it knowing that new updates would come, so crossing fingers here they will finally decide to add a good EQ, which during my poll a few months ago was n°1 on the wishlist for most users here http://line6.com/support/polls/1138

Cheers,

Hans

what'swrong with the eq's?

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-06 08:52:54

Mr_Arkadin when they gave the Soldano model also they created a new expectation, and I am sure that I am not the only one here

P.S.: I think in the same way like you, is better play than use a forum, but yesterday I did that wainting for have more "hot" the valves in my amp and drinking a good coffe. Now I am writing a manual for a work (not all is rock in the life), and drinking again coffe... and in the nigth will come the guitar again (I am experimenting with the Bogner Uberschall model, is very "real" the response and also very good emulation. I only know a clon amp I never proved the real Bogner U., but sound similar with the clon)

by jimsreynolds on 2012-09-06 09:45:26

toneman2121 wrote:

what's wrong with the eq's?

... uh oh ...

(goes off in search of a bunker)

by Triryche on 2012-09-06 10:19:54

hansvaneven wrote:

Hope to see some update soon, and I really hope they listened to the forum and decided to finally add a real good EQ ... that would be Xmass in summer ...

Hans

=> My HD500 in action ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgZF8Ebga0A

Nicechops!!

Do you by chance play a chapman stick?

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-06 10:54:41

Or better said, where are the EQ's ? No, seriously, they are all but user friendly and incomplete, a real EQ would need (Hi Low Shelvs, Hi Lo Pass, Q, Freq and Gain stages) and at least 4-5 bands to be complete ... you can couple a few and use Meambobo's chart to understand better how they work, but they could have done it right out of the box ... this will always be a mistery for me ...

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-06 10:55:32

Thanks Triryche, no don't play one, hope to get an 8 string in the near future though, but for now just 6 strings

by HarryN on 2012-09-06 11:12:01

I'm patient enough, I can wait.

But I would like some more functionality. A gobal EQ that didn't take up an FX block would be very welcome. As would some more output modes - such as one that automatically set the POD up for the four cable method with the levels all corrected. And I would be very pleased to see a global cabs off option in the settings menu - save me having to create two of every patch.

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-06 11:31:04

jimsreynolds wrote:

toneman2121 wrote:

what's wrong with the eq's?

... uh oh ...

(goes off in search of a bunker)

now there's some good hearted humor...just what this dead thread needs. hmmm, sounds like a good line for a song

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-06 11:34:15

hansvaneven wrote:

Or better said, where are the EQ's ? No, seriously, they are all but user friendly and incomplete, a real EQ would need (Hi Low Shelvs, Hi Lo Pass, Q, Freq and Gain stages) and at least 4-5 bands to be complete ... you can couple a few and use Meambobo's chart to understand better how they work, but they could have done it right out of the box ... this will always be a mistery for me ...

i suppose the eq's are critical  more for recording than live.

by meambobbo on 2012-09-06 11:54:16

well, if you're recording you should have access to even better EQ's in your DAW.  I find they'd be most helpful for live applications or for casual applications where you want a wide variety of patches, but don't want to have to mess with a DAW every time you switch patches.  For pro recording where you're only using 6-10 tones, you would be better off dialing a solid EQ in via the DAW, which is configurable even after you've recording the raw tracks.

i don't have a real problem with the EQ's, except that they are sensitive to clipping.  The % instead of Hz and db thing is a pain, but not a dealbreaker.

by cgtrox on 2012-09-06 16:54:08

Awesome chops bro!! Very nice Washburn Nuno guitar, too!

cgtrox

by phil_m on 2012-09-06 17:33:03

Very nice playing... I think you'd sound good regardless of EQ settings...

Seriously though, tapping like this is the one thing that I've never been very good at. I find it very impressive.

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-06 20:03:16

thanks for enlightening. i hardly ever use eq's. guess i should start

by TheRealZap on 2012-09-06 20:26:06

impressive.

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-06 23:31:20

Thanks Guys!

Well there was some additional EQ going on with Alloy II so ... using a DAW this is easy, but like meambobo stated earlier here, for live it's important to be able to fine tune your sound to the max and the current EQ's are not practical for me

cheers,

Hans

by meambobbo on 2012-09-07 07:29:51

Hey Hans, did you share your patch somewhere, and if not, would you mind doing so.  I'll try to get the onboard EQ's as close as I can to your recorded tone.  Maybe that'll help you out.

oh and btw, i've been watching some of your youtube vids and yea, you're pretty good at playing guitar

by alfmetal70 on 2012-09-08 05:45:20

very but very good player!

Greetings frrom Chile

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-08 10:02:07

Hey Meambobbo, thanks for the kind proposition, much appreciated, I just checked, and finally for this patch I think it should be easy as I only used a low pass filter on it in Alloy II (7186 Hz), btw thanks for your great website which really helps for understanding the EQ's more in the HD500!

HD500 Patch :

www.hansvaneven.net/HANS-8-FINGER-TAPPING.zip

thanks again, cheers,

Hans

by spikey on 2012-09-08 10:08:19

Excellent Playing. Id never be able to tap like that- kudos on your special gift Hans..

by hansvaneven on 2012-09-08 13:16:26

Thanks Spikey, but no special gift here, just playing for long hours

by toneman2121 on 2012-09-08 14:47:49

one of these days...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.