These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Best way to record POD HD500 with PCI soundcard
by kfir26 on 2012-09-02 02:02:36

HI

I have POD HD500 and EMU 0404 PCI  soundcard.

What is the best way to record? I use the pod unbalanced out and plug it to my card PL entrence. The sound is good but I have to turn the main volume of the POD almost all the way.

Re: Best way to record POD HD500 with PCI soundcard
by johnpicton on 2012-09-02 04:12:33

I am not sure why you wouldnt use the USB link to record?

If you record via your soundcard inputs you are running big risks of latency.

Just use line6 monkey to download the HD500 drivers and then in your recording software select the Line 6 ASIO drivers. That is likely to get you far better results.

by kfir26 on 2012-09-02 04:40:21

johnpicton wrote:

Just use line6 monkey to download the HD500 drivers and then in your recording software select the Line 6 ASIO drivers. That is likely to get you far better results.

Because that way i don't need to switch between my soundcard to the pod, I work with allot of midi plugins, plus I can hear my guitar throgh my monitors (that connected to my soundcard)

by silverhead on 2012-09-02 07:01:36

The way you are using it is probably best. Are you actually having any problem with it? Sounds like things are working fine. Turning the Pod Master Volume up high is the best way to use it - gives the best signal-to-noise ratio.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-02 07:18:37

Connect your POD HD 500 S/PDIF Out to one of your EMU 0404 PCI S/PDIF in/out coaxial.

Configure your HD500 SETUP page 5/10 S/PDIF Output to: "MATCH OUTPUTS" if you like to record the effect processed path, or use "DRY INPUTS" for unprcessed signal.

If you want to record them both at the same time, you must connect S/PDIF for dry signal, and processed signal over analogue unbalanced line outputs (as you already do).

It is absolutely normal that you have to level the volume, depending on your preset. Try to use the HD500 MIXER and AMP VOLUME knob to save the patches to equal output levels between presets. Some effects are also adjustable in gain. The S/PDIF LEVEL you can find on the SETUP page.

In live situation you want the lead sound to be louder than for rhytm part. But for recording it is better to record at equal maximum save level (e.g. -9db) to give you the best signal to noise ratio. So it is better to hold live presets leveled for your amp, and recording presets leveled at constant recording level.

by kfir26 on 2012-09-04 05:07:36

silverhead wrote:

The way you are using it is probably best. Are you actually having any problem with it? Sounds like things are working fine. Turning the Pod Master Volume up high is the best way to use it - gives the best signal-to-noise ratio.

Actually Yes, I'm happy with the result but I have sound issue when recording metal guitars. when I'm playing through my amp return  I'm getting less compressed and "smudgy" sound when going direct to the PCI PL and also when I go direct the distortions sounds with extra gain (too much gain) I;m in D tuning maybe that's relevant.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-04 06:23:44

Some soundcards tend to compress the analogue signal when the level is at the edge level. I don't know what your card is doing.

by PremiumJones on 2012-09-06 14:08:40

O_O

The best latency I can get with USB is about 20ms.

WIth my M-Audio PCI card, which was new when Windows 95 was new, I get 6ms.

Stop drinking the USB koolaid!!

by alessio84 on 2013-01-21 10:40:28

I have a problem too..i have a mbox mini and pro tools 8.5 but the pod sounds not do good and there is some latency.  Which are the right connections?

by CairnsFella on 2013-01-29 23:11:08

johnpicton wrote:

Although I am repeating the responses already provided, I think there is a point to take on board here that may still be a little less clear than it could be.

Simply put, PCI bus devices (all being equal) have superior potential performance compared to USB. This all became a little blurred because after the initial use of USB 'pre-ASIO' where some 'adequate in some situations' latency was the norm. After the release of ASIO, and other improved USB drivers, coupled with the integration of USB audio capability of external devices meant the whole USB audio thing could be pushed at a more 'pro' level.

Whilst it was never specifically stated, this momentum seemed to carry the inferrence that it was all better than existing PCI devices, which of course, was not the case.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.