These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Preamp versions pod hd 500
by axus73 on 2012-09-03 07:15:24

Hy guys,

i downloaded a dual amp customtone patch for my pod hd 500.

i go direct to mixer pa.

I noticed that this patch uses only preamp versions, so this is my question...

this patch is tweaked specifically for someone who goes to a real tube amp or uses preamp versions just for DSP usage issues and is effective even for somone who goes direct?

To my ears even with preamp versions does not sound bad but maybe i am just hearing the effects and nothing more...

Let me know what you think about it!

Re: Preamp versions pod hd 500
by mazuwa on 2012-09-03 07:29:01

Yes, you are absolutely completely right, both thumbs up!

Although it is meant for what you say, some amps - not all - also sound good without power amp sim.

The preams then sound more direct with less compression and less drive. Some amps sound great as pre, others sound thin.

The reason is that the POD tries to simulate the real ones as they are, and some combinations of pre and power amps depend more from each other than others, which means that even when you have a pre simulation, not every real power amp will work. In this case it is better to use the full amp sim although you still will go to a real power amp.

Re: Preamp versions pod hd 500
by MerlinFL on 2012-09-03 16:51:44

I use more pre only patches than full amp patches as I prefer to use dual amp patches and am sick of that DSP overlimit message.

What I've found is that if you set the output to Studio/Direct, the pre sounds are excellent, PLUS I've been getting cabinet & mic changes even though technically I'm not using them in pre modes.  Go figure, but it all comes down to what the person using the gear likes best.

That's my 2 cents,

Neal

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.