These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 Stompbox modeler and Godlyke Powerall PA-9 power supply
by granttheking98 on 2012-09-06 14:15:54

I used to own a DL4 that was rated as 9v AC 1200mA minimum with a Godlyke powerall power supply that was 9v DC and 2000mA.
It worked fine, there are even videos of it working on their website.

However I recently sold my DL4 to upgrade to the M13 (I sold a few other bits too to finance it...).

I contacted Godlyke about powering the M13 with the PA-9 and they said as far as they knew it wouldn't harm the unit,

but they could only confirm that that the PA-9 works with the M9 and haven't tested it with the M13.

From what I've researched I can't see any major difference between between powering the DL4, M9 and M13.

They may draw different mA but all run on 9v AC power.

Has anyone had any experience using the Godlyke powerall with the M13? Would it work or am I headed for disaster.

I tend to think that the M9 and M13 can't be that different and it should work.

I'm prepared to use the Px-2 power supply that the M13 comes with if need be, but would prefer to power everything off a single unit if possible.

Had a great experience with the PA-9 and would be a shame to under utilise it.

Re: M13 Stompbox modeler and Godlyke Powerall PA-9 power supply
by phil_m on 2012-09-06 16:53:14

The M13 won't work with that adapter. It absolutely needs a 9V AC power supply.

There is a fundamental difference in how the M13 works compared to the DL4 (and the other 4 button stomps). The 4 button stomps actually run on DC power. As soon as the current enters those units, it hits a bridge rectifier which essentially converts the AC power to DC. This is why those units can run on both batteries and an AC power supply.

The M13 doesn't have this. I don't know whether or not DC power will damage the M13, but it definitely won't work. Others have tried it already, and it won't work.

by granttheking98 on 2012-09-06 18:20:37

Thanks for your help Phil, I spent a lot of time reading your replies to others about this issue. However one thing still remains to be checked out, why does the Godlyke powerall PA-9 work with the M9 but not the M13?

Especially when you consider that the M9 is not a 4 button unit but has 7 buttons.

Are the M13 and M9 wired that differently?

by phil_m on 2012-09-06 19:20:59

I don't really know the exact answer to that question. It could be that there is some sort of rectification happening in the M9. People have tried all sorts of DC adapters with the M13, and none of them have worked at all as far as I know.

by granttheking98 on 2012-09-06 22:56:30

Yeah I think that might be the case that the M9 has some sort of rectifier bridge. Pity about the M13 but the search for the best power solution continues.

Looks like I'll have to use the original power supply - albeit with a step down transformer - I'm assuming that I'll only need a 20W step down transformer (i.e. 9v x 2A = 18W)?

by Kornflake19 on 2012-12-29 23:06:16

Does anyone happen to know the Voltage and Miliamp requirements for the M13?

I know it runs on AC but does anyone have the specifics?

by phil_m on 2012-12-30 18:50:51

The official adapter is 9V AC, 2000mA. The actual draw of the M13 is probably between 1300 - 1400mA. The actual draw depends somewhat on the number and types of effects that are on.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.