These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Using FS1-FS8 as Controllers
by John_J on 2012-09-07 21:07:02

Hi, everyone!

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any related posts in the Search function.

I was trying to assign the Drive on the Screamer model to range from a minimum of 20% to a maximum of 50% and setting the Controller to FS-2, but I realized that the only Controller options were EXP-1, EXP-2, EXP Toe Switch, Variax Volume, and Variax Tone. Would it make sense to submit a Feature Request so that FS-1 to FS-8 may be used BOTH in FS Assign to turn effect blocks on/off AND also as Controllers?

Thank you!

John Jeevasingham

Re: Using FS1-FS8 as Controllers
by mazuwa on 2012-09-08 01:00:03

I'm describing here the controller's function for HD EDIT. At the pod it is also available when you double click the MOVE button.

What we have now:

If you set a range from 20% to 50%, in the moment it is meant to do it as a continuous controller like the EXP pedal, so you can increase or decrease the drive parameter.

To toggle the effect on/off you can assign a footswitch like FS1.

Back to your question:

Because FS1-FS8 are switches, I understand that you would like to switch between drive at 20% and 50%.

Especially if you already had a wah routed to EXP, you would then have another independet controller to change the drive.

The FS that toggles the fx on/off cannot change the drive at the same time, so e.g. you might want FS1 for fx on/off, and FS2 for drive switching from 20% to 50% and back.

This is a disadvantage, because sometimes you need to press 2 different footswitches for coming back to default/ saved preset values, like fx = on and drive = 20%.

It wouldn't come into being if this fx would be on permanently.

Result:

On the one hand side, it would be interesting to have parameter switching, on the other hand side you can already realize it by simply changing the preset, although there is a short audio break when switching.

This is my point of view.

by silverhead on 2012-09-08 07:36:10

FS1 - FS8 are switches. They behave in an on/off fashion - they do not have 'ranges'. So your desire to have a switch be able to set parameter values within a min/max range is simply contradictory to the function of a switch.

As mazuwa indicates it may be possible for Line 6 to implement a feature where a switch could toggle the parameter value from min to max (nothing in between), but then the switch would no longer be available for the on/off function. Personally, I think it is a misguided concept; a switch is a switch - for parameter range control you need a continuous controller, not a switch.

by Astaroth_CY on 2012-09-08 07:36:37

That would be a nice feature to have, but for now, you can do what you want to do like this:

Put two screamers right next to each other in your signal chain. Set one to 20% and the other to 50%. Keep all other parameters the same.

Now turn one of them off, and assign both screamers to the same FS. That means that when you click that FS, you will switch from one screamer to the other. Click it again, you switch back again.

Yes, it wastes DSP and an effect slot, but it does what you need it to do.

by mazuwa on 2012-09-08 08:03:26

+1 Astaroth_CY.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.