These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT50 Died and Line 6 could give a FU$#
by Zakman on 2012-09-08 19:46:30

Just thought I would pass on some feedback for anyone considering purchasing a Line product..

Whilst I have been a fan and owned so much of the shit they just dont support people..

I have had everything from the Pod through the the Vetta II and Variax 700 Tremeolo etc.. cost me near on 8k when I bought..

I have had X3 Live etc and the list goes on

I Jan  I bought a JTV89, HD500 and a DT50 1x12..

I had it 6 months, barely played it and the DT50 blew...

So for over a month it has sat with the repairer, I contact Line 6 asking for a help to push it forward and then I receive a notification from the store I purchased it from that I now need to pay for the repair as the dealer for Australia has gone bust..

I have a manufacturers warranty and Line 6 has not responded to my emails other than to say it the early days that I should contact the dealership..

Line 6.. support or lose your customers..

I didnt spend my hard earn money for your shitty build quality to fall over and then cop a repair build.. otherwise your retail price is actually hundreds more than you state,,,

Re: DT50 Died and Line 6 could give a FU$#
by silverhead on 2012-09-09 04:35:00

Have you opened a support ticket to deal directly with Line 6 on this?

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

">http://line6.com/support/tickets/">http://line6.com/support/tickets/

by spikey on 2012-09-09 07:24:47

silverhead wrote:

Have you opened a support ticket to deal directly with Line 6 on this?

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

__jive_macro_name="quote" class="jive_text_macro jive_macro_quote _jivemacro_uid_13472009734104090" jivemacro_uid="_13472009734104090">

I have a manufacturers warranty and Line 6 has not responded to my emails other than to say it the early days that I should contact the dealership..

A support ticket might help silverhead, but since he already stated that Line 6 HAS responded to his emails, Im just not sure if the support ticket would do any good. Is he being ignored, or did it just fall thru the Line 6 cracks? Lord knows thats possible with all of the broken stuff mentioned we see floating thru here. Yea yea its supposed to. Im just saying it mighta gotten lost in the mix.

Please keep us in the loop HERE, so that we ALL know what happens. And Best of Luck Zak... I hope someone else at Line 6 helps you.

by scotty_burford on 2012-09-09 17:51:14

Under Australian consumer law, Music Link is still liable for warranty repairs. They are still trading at the moment, even though in recerivership and so must honour all warranties. If they try and pass it off go to consumer affaris.

by Zakman on 2012-09-10 00:07:05

Thanks for the responses

I most definately lodge a support ticket and the response was to deal with the Australian importer..

Scotty_burford is right, nder Australian law they should be but the current receivers are not going to guarantee unsecure debts and accounts therefore the repairers have apprently asked for the payment direct.

The thing that frustrates me most is that it was taking way to long to fix, I lodge a support ticket asking them to help move this issue forward and the repairers were apparently waiting on a part. Only to be told in a response to work with the importer.. Now they are asking me to pay for the repair work.....

I am not going to support line 6 if they do not support me.. I am definately a unusual customer in that I have all sorts of equipment from boutique amps through to modellers, I have spent a fortune with Line 6 and they can see this because they have my registrations but they treat this issue with no response???

Anyway. I am happy to move my cash to Axe FX or Kempler, I can stick with my boutique amps, My effects units and pedals have and will continue to serve me.

Line 6 is like all companies, as they get bigger the forget about the people that helped them get there and when you see something that is so obviouly wrong and you can ignore it then you have lost your way..

I have told the company to repair it, I will pay for it and I will continue to tell people that whilst the DT50 is great as a concept, the power supplies are shit and line 6 will provide no support.. So if your product works then yes you will get a good product but if it is failing, dont expect any support..

Thanks

Zak

by Zakman on 2012-09-10 00:20:34

Update:

I just received advice from Musiclink that as of Friday that authorised the warranty..

I am happy but I at the same time I am very dissapointed that it took over a months and then Line 6 couldnt even step in..

I appreciate that its a big company but the best way to becaome a small comapny is to forget about the customer.

Thanks for your feedback

Zak

by jimbasara on 2012-09-10 20:40:28

This is confusing to me.  Is it a manufacturer's warranty or a distributor's warranty?  If my DT25 dies, I would expect the warranty to be intact whether or not the company I purchased it from is alive or dead.

by Zakman on 2012-09-11 00:40:45

Its a manufacturers warranty, Distributors should support but ultimately in my opinion it falls back to the manufacturer.

Line 6 needs to acknowledge this and make things happen not hide behind a distrubutor..

Zak

by sdunmire on 2012-09-11 10:06:43

I can't speak to the particulars of L6's agreement with your distributor, but it's fairly common that companies use in-country distributors for ALL transactions, including warranty.  As you might imagine, managing warranties for dozens of countries, each with their own unique laws, tax implications, etc., would be nearly unworkable for a small company like L6.  (it cracks me up that you guys keep referring to them as a "big company.")

So although it sucks, typically there isn't a whole lot that L6 can do, (companies often quite literally have no legal standing or jurisdiction in foreign countries) short of just shipping you a brand new amp all the way from the USA and getting completely reamed in taxes and shipping for their trouble.  And that would require getting the attention of someone farther up the food chain.  The support rep was just doing their job by pointing you to a system that was set up specifically to handle these issues. I would be hacked if this were me, but it was your distributor's fault, not L6's.  If they have any responsibility, it's to push your distributor to handle this, which they very well may have been doing all along.  I'm not defending them as I have no. Proof that they did anything on the issue, but I don't imagine the OP has proof that L6 wasn't encouraging the in-country distributor to take care of him either. 

So, before we call "a spade a spade" sometimes it's helpful to know the rules of the game. 

But glad to hear you are being taken care of finally.  I love my DT25 and would be bummed if I didn't have it for a week, much less the odyssey you described. :(

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-11 10:14:44

sdunmire wrote:

(it cracks me up that you guys keep referring to them as a "big company.")

Line 6 has told most of us who have been able to work closely with them for one reason or another that they are a big company and just seem small.  So when you read those words - keep in mind that Line 6 considers itself a big company.

by sdunmire on 2012-09-11 10:41:55

Hi Merlin,

That's a bit funny, but the point I was trying to make is that they AREN'T a big company, at least in that they don't have a large international presence.  Large companies set up their own fully-owned distributors for key markets to avoid such headaches and exact a greater amount of control.

Doesn't really matter how some employees there see it. 

Note:  I'm not disparaging them, just trying to highlight the nature and limitations of international product marketing.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-11 15:53:59

sdunmire wrote:

Hi Merlin,

That's a bit funny, but the point I was trying to make is that they AREN'T a big company, at least in that they don't have a large international presence.  Large companies set up their own fully-owned distributors for key markets to avoid such headaches and exact a greater amount of control.

Doesn't really matter how some employees there see it. 

Note:  I'm not disparaging them, just trying to highlight the nature and limitations of international product marketing.

I think I understand your point and sorry if I got it wrong the first time around.

But not knowing how things work anywhere other than here in the USA and Canada, I'm at a total loss about company's and what distribution system works best.

Here in the US, if you want to retail Marshall you have to open an account with Korg USA.  They are the US distributers for Marshall products.  perhaps Korg does more than just N. America, but I would not know.  Same holds true for GHS who is the US total distributer for Rocktron, and partial for Warwick products NOT related to the actual bass instruments themselves - just the Rockbag, Rockstand, etc Warwick originating in Germany.  Gibson handles Tobias, etc.  Gets really confusing.

BUT I 100% agree that a Warranty is issued by the company who produced the product.  Not matter who handles it, the warranty is still valid and should be honored.

by spikey on 2012-09-12 07:56:20

Strange how some posts around here stay,  and others.... well....

by silverhead on 2012-09-12 08:16:48

It's not strange. Any user has the ability to delete their own posts, with an option to simultaneously delete all 'children' of that post. I chose to do that in this case to remove the unproductive personal exchanges between me, you, and MerlinFL.

You could give it a try if you want by deleting your last post and this one with it.

Let's move on.

by spikey on 2012-09-12 10:24:55

Since when do you get to decide what is and isnt productive Silver?  I think it was VERY productive and had the desired effect intended.

We agreed to disagree about some things. How is that unproductive?

And you might have asked first. But hey, if its not written down it didnt happen, right?

Now then, we can move on...

by spikey on 2012-09-12 10:38:23

"but it was your distributor's fault, not L6's."

Sdunmire, I didnt know that Line 6's QA dept is run by the distributors... Interesting...

by sdunmire on 2012-09-12 11:06:52

As for fault, I was referring to the "dropping of the ball" not the failure of the product.

Hard to say from where you or I sit whether there is an actual design flaw as you' have to know what the "acceptable failure rate" is.  It's different for different types of products.  Electronics typically have much higher failure rates than, say, toothbrushes.  I've heard comments around here about high failure rates, but only L6 knows for sure.  No matter what it seems like from where we sit, you have to know the actual numbers in use.

by silverhead on 2012-09-12 11:10:10

spikey wrote:

And you might have asked first.....

Sorry - I didn't know I needed your permission to make use of general forum features. I'll be sure to consult you before making future posts.

by spikey on 2012-09-12 13:21:05

I've heard comments around here about high failure rates, but only L6 knows for sure.

As for dropping the ball, that could also be used for a failure of the products reliability by QA too, could it not? Just asking, not stating per say... And as far as electronics versus a tooth brush, I make my living on the electronics side. I know about failures be it heat related, moisture related, or just plain amp stress failures over time. Ive also seen what causes failures from poor quality workmanship and poor QA testing too, because I have had to fix all kinds of issues over my 35+ years as a repair guy... Ive learned that everything electrical in nature can and will break at some point, but thats no excuse for it to break sooner rather than later. Any added misuse, abuse or unspoken unmentioned ghost like in nature plant assy line issues can and will let the smoke out sooner than normal... Shit happens as they say,  but denial of any issue that gos unchecked is not just bad for any companies long term, its down right stupid. Same go's for those dedicated to its success. And so If you mean absolute totals then yes I might agree. Line 6 would have those numbers one would assume. But If you mean whats acceptable with what we have to work with here, well then I guess your totals are a bit more liberal than mine would be acceptance wise. Im looking at the failure rates listed here, not guessing at totals. No matter where we sit we can only add with what we have available, agreed? . But then, I am a bit biased towards a working amp (pun intended) and not riding for any certain brand (another pun intended)... 

Please Understand, I have many thousands of dollars invested in Line 6 equipment (as many others do too) sitting acrossed the room from me right this second. I like their products. I care about the long term useage. And so I believe that in itself gives me the concerned right to start a bitch session whenever I see very many posts about amps failing around here.

This is as it should be for everyone else who owns Line 6 gear, and that is indeed a flat statement i'll stand behind.

by jimbasara on 2012-09-12 21:15:21

Nothing forces a company to improve its workmanship and quality assurance more than negative publicity.  As long as the comments are fair and accurate, giving L6  a public flogging when they deserve it and letting them know that they should not take our loyalty for granted will help to ensure future products are of high quality.  Defending them when they screw up only promotes the feeling that they can get away with substandard products and service.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-13 11:45:58

I'm replying to your remarks Spikey. 

After what happened to me today - I strongly suggest you not "turn or back" on good old Brian.  He has messed with me AGAIN after we agreed to ignore each other.  I've not decided what I'll do about it yet, but they thought I was a "loose cannon" before.  Wait until they see me now.  FOr an old retired guy living in western Canada, he should know the old saying..."Let sleeping dogs lie" **Definition of old saying*** It means for one to not disrupt a situation that is going well as it will lead to problems. If that metaphorical dog is just laying there asleep, leave him be. Don't go messing with him or he might wake up and bite you.

He got my login altered and that was a VERY wrong move to make on his part as well as any & all @ Line 6 who actually allowed, agreed, or gave the order that altered my login.

Watch and see how FAST the Forum police show up and delete this...If you get email notices, at least you'lll have a copy of what I said.  Nothing is written by Line 6 personnel other than on the PA boards anymore.  Watch how fast this goes since it's a reply to your post and only you can delete yourself unless someone from the Line 6 Gestapo is brought in to SELECTIVELY delete posts.

by silverhead on 2012-09-13 14:59:00

Just so you and other readers know, Neal - I don't know what you are talking about re: login being altered. I have had absolutely no contact with Line 6 since our earlier posts in this thread. Of course, I don't expect you are inclined to believe that yourself, but I can't ignore this because I don't want others to believe it.

... and I live in Eastern Canda - Ottawa, the capital city. Retired? Almost. Old? Well I guess that depends on your age. For me, old has always been 15 years older than I am - so I don't think I'm old.

by spikey on 2012-09-13 15:10:35

I meant that as a token of respect from one to another.... Im sorry Silver, how foolish and naive of me to think respect ever entered into our little chats...

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-13 15:39:44

Now I know at least one thing we can both agree upon without any further discussion.  We both live in the same EST time zone.

If all my posts weren't being "rejected" (official Line 6 term for "Oh no you don't!") or removed that have to do with many things other than our disagreements - perhaps readers might be able to use their own minds to decide what is truth and what is fiction?  What is relevent to the topic being discussed, etc.  Am I the "loose cannon" that has been claimed by some of the "gang"?  Let others decide and the chips fall where they may.  My reputation is as important to me as yours is to you, but apparently, I have not much to do with controlling how I'm perceived on certain forums or threads here in Line 6 land and yet you're never touched no matter what the circumstance.  And this is fair - how?

At least those who are writing directly to me have been able to converse with me and no one harsh word ever occurs.  Other support forums I was involved with until the POD HD 2.02 and JTV 1.81 releases, I've had very little trouble with anyone, although the troubles I've had are always with the same people...go figure?

Buh bye!

by spikey on 2012-09-13 18:09:53

Agreed Jim.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-13 18:16:55

ditto

by silverhead on 2012-09-13 18:34:45

jimbasara wrote:

.... As long as the comments are fair and accurate...

ditto

by Zakman on 2012-09-14 17:19:44

I have contuned to contact Line 6 on their support tickets since this event.. I recently received some positive news that my amp was now being fixed and have taken the amp home working..

More importantly I also just received a update on my ticket from Line 6 apologising for the issues and for that I am grateful. I wont go into the details but Line 6 has provided a sincere apology and solution so for that I forgive them.

I will not be able to get passed the feeling of lack of urgency by the Australian distributor (nearly 2 months) and the fact that this amp is no longer reliable enough to take gigging, that may only be in my brain but how can I comfortably go to a gig or use this amp reguarly knowing that it may drop dead without notice and take many months to fix. Should I carry a spare amp everywhere I go?

Thanks for all your support.. I do believe that honest feedback about issues on open forums will help improve any business,,

I love everyones passion with this.. it shows that we all want Line 6 to be sucessfull and this should come if they support their  customers.

Zak

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-14 18:19:47

Fair enough answer Brian.  At least the three of us who have broached specifically the last post written by Jim agree with his remarks.

And not to "wake a sleeping dog"...and without any replies required but always welcomed in my posts...Would it be fair to say that each of us would consider our remarks on just this specific topic each be considered as fair and accurate?  We each have had our own unique experience with Line 6 as a company and with the products we each own.

Under such varied conditions, who would "judge" what is a fair and accurate assessment either positive or negative?  None of us have the "legal" (term being used very loosely in this context) right to judge one another, but since we certainly all feel very strongly and passionately about our feelings just on this single topic...who really could judge?  This is just not an easy thing to do 100% objectively in my opinion.

And as a courtesy to you Brian, I'm mentioning that I've changed by settings to stop receiving emails from all general group discussions about the POD HD, Vetta, POD X3, Variax, JTV, DT50/25, and all other related software.  I now only receive notices from just a few select threads I've bookmarked.  If I don't see it - I can't react to it.  I'm going to try the ignorance is bliss theory and see how that works out for my personal stress level regarding Line 6 and the "Group"/"Gang"/"Mafia" personalities as much as my notification preference change might help.

I'll stick with my original thinking of still offering assistance in private instead of public.  Whatever you might think of my product knowledge, or how I structure my answers...anyone who chooses to can always write and ask for help if they wish to contact me directly in case they were not able to get answers on these many forums.  I have hope that one of my projects I'm working on with Craig Anderton combining our collective knowledge and experience with Line 6 gear will become what I hope.

Luckily for me, he doesn't have any trouble understanding me in written form, spoken form, or have any problem with any aspect of what's inside my brain and how it comes out.  I especially appreciate his understanding of my level of passion about the gear I've bought over the years since 2003 or was given during my time starting 2008 as a formerly well-appreciated Beta Tester of Line 6 products.  He, unlike the current (if any or all are still employed there currently since the L6 names I used to see with whom I've had problems with never appear anymore in any of the forums) Line 6 personnel, seems to actually think positively about my passion for music and the equipment I use to create it.  He's much like myself in that regard about his level of passion in anything he puts his mind to doing.  He has quite a significant pedigree that he earned over his lifetime.  I'm honored he thinks enough of my thoughts, methods of working, and discoveries of all aspects of just the "Dream Rig" set up to ask to work with me.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-14 18:23:50

Good to read positive results Zakman.  I hope all goes well for you whatever you choices for the L6 gear you decide for the future.  My personal results have been very different than yourself and I do feel as secure as anyone can feel about any complex electronic equipment used in the way we live stage musicians have to put our gear through and still hope it will not die during our performances.  Perhaps the answer in your situation might just be something as simple - although not so cheap - as a shock mount ATA roadcase?

Take care,

Neal

Zakman wrote:

I have contuned to contact Line 6 on their support tickets since this event.. I recently received some positive news that my amp was now being fixed and have taken the amp home working..

More importantly I also just received a update on my ticket from Line 6 apologising for the issues and for that I am grateful. I wont go into the details but Line 6 has provided a sincere apology and solution so for that I forgive them.

I will not be able to get passed the feeling of lack of urgency by the Australian distributor (nearly 2 months) and the fact that this amp is no longer reliable enough to take gigging, that may only be in my brain but how can I comfortably go to a gig or use this amp reguarly knowing that it may drop dead without notice and take many months to fix. Should I carry a spare amp everywhere I go?

Thanks for all your support.. I do believe that honest feedback about issues on open forums will help improve any business,,

I love everyones passion with this.. it shows that we all want Line 6 to be sucessfull and this should come if they support their  customers.

Zak

by silverhead on 2012-09-15 07:52:00

MerlinFL wrote:

...Would it be fair to say that each of us would consider our remarks on just this specific topic each be considered as fair and accurate?  We each have had our own unique experience with Line 6 as a company and with the products we each own.

Under such varied conditions, who would "judge" what is a fair and accurate assessment either positive or negative?  None of us have the "legal" (term being used very loosely in this context) right to judge one another, but since we certainly all feel very strongly and passionately about our feelings just on this single topic...who really could judge?  This is just not an easy thing to do 100% objectively in my opinion.

I agree completely here, Neal. I believe each of us firmly and passionately feels that our own remarks are fair and accurate, based on our own different experiences. We don't always agree with each other's remarks, and given the afore-mentioned passion, well .... we've seen where that can lead. But like you say - who can really judge?

Peace.

by scotty_burford on 2012-09-16 04:51:28

I have personally dealt with the repairs person at Music Link on a few occaisons. He is not that reliable nor that concerned with customers' situations.

by ryancola on 2012-10-02 07:13:07

I'm surprised to hear this. I have the full "Dream Rig," and I have had to contact Line 6 both for my JTV and my DT25. The JTV had a faulty knob, and they sent me out a replacement right away. My DT25 straight-up died, and they sent me a UPS shipping label and fixed it (although it did take a month to get the amp back). In both cases, though, they were quick to respond and kept in contact until my issues were resolved.

by toneman2121 on 2012-10-02 11:58:17

that's been my experience with line6 parts

by mrscaryz on 2012-10-04 10:24:24

The support is horrible beyond horrible,, You have to raise the bar man I lived through 3 bad necks on my Variax 69 and finally got sick of them.. I finally put on a nice Ebony neck and all is well. But before that they called me a liar

tried to make me sound like I was lying about their known issues with the Frett's on the JTV 69 even dealing with their upper management was like dealing with Total Arse's. I will never buy another Line 6 product.

I had to get James Tyler involved to even get them to work with me how sad is that... If you want emails send me a private message you can spam these idiots because they do not care at all about their product..

They go by the numbers they figure that if only a few people complain they are doing fine.. They still have not addressed the issues with the JTV 69 neck it is so funny to me now that I just save all of their emails so I can blog them if they push my buttons again.

I have issues with my DT50 now watch it will be the same thing... next variation of the JTV I will buy directly from James Tyler to hell with Line 6 and thats all I have to say about that..

by whiteop on 2012-10-07 19:44:21

There seems to be an epidimic going on with DT25s and DT50's dying lately. Mine died sometime over the weekend from what I gathered because I played it last on Wednesday night then came in this morning at church before worship service and turned it on, no sound; you could still hear a little hum though. The lights came on, it hummed, all tubes lit up but nothing except on IV toplogy; the other three didn't work at all. I replace the tubes with some spares I had just to be on the safe side. Same result. This is the SECOND time this has happened since I bought it. I did purchase an extended warranty on it because I figured this might happen. I'm hoping after the warranty expires I don't have a $1299 paperweight or table to set items on. C'mon Line 6, I have Fender and Rivera amps I've owned for years that cost much less that haven't given me all the problems I've had with this one. Running it back and forth to a repair shop that is located 45 mins from your house gets a little old. I don't think I will buy another Line 6 amp after this experience.

If Line 6 repair support is horrible I'll be switching to another brand as well many others if this is a new development.

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-07 22:10:12

I invite whiteop and any others who have the entire Dream Rig or pieces of it to post any remarks, thoughts, suggestions or especially personal experiences as I've read on this thread on my Forum.  It covers all three parts of the Dream Rig as is it marketed by Line 6 and I've asked this question as the topic for my Forum...

Do "Dream Rig" Owners Agree with the Advertisement posted on AMS?

I'm trying to make a one stop shop of sorts for all the peices that make up the Dream Rig and question what people think of the ad flyer I got in my email from AMS (American Musical Supply) onine retailer store.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.