These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Can I use my Spider IV 75 as a cabinet?
by guitarjordan14 on 2012-09-09 12:07:43

Im thinking about buying a Marshall or blackstar head and I was wondering if there was any way that I could use my current amp (Spider IV 75) as the cab. I don't think you can but I just wanna make absolutley sure

Re: Can I use my Spider IV 75 as a cabinet?
by lanecollins16 on 2012-09-09 13:03:20

no i am sorry but you cant. you cant bypass the effects and achieve a clear enough tone to make it work. Its one of the reasons that i dont use pedals.

by geppert on 2012-09-10 16:03:17

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but when you say "use your SIV 75 as a cab" I assume you just want to use the speaker with your Marshall head? This is doable BUT from some pix I found on the internet (I don't have a SIV75 but I do have a SIV120) it looks like the speaker on the 75 is hard wired into the amp ??? In otherwords, there is no 1/4" plug on the end of the speaker wire??? There is on the SIV120. So in this case, you would have to make a speaker cable for your Marshall head which I assume has a 1/4" socket for the speaker?? Your cable would be 1/4" TS Plug to the same wire terminals that are on your current speaker wire in the SIV75 (these are very common but I forget their generic name). I would pull the wires off the speaker from the SIV75, tape them individually so they can't touch, and secure inside. Then attach the new speaker wire from your Marshall to the SIV75 speaker. Needless to say you would never turn your SIV75 on, you are just using it's speaker. Capeesh ??

I have a SV212 and a DT25. I use the SV212 as a 2 x12 cab along with my DT112 cab. The SV (as well as the SIV120) speakers both have plugs on the end of their speaker wires so I just use a 1/4 - 1/4 female to female adaptor to allow the use of a 1/4-1/4 TS male to male extension speaker cable. Works perfectly.

by guitarjordan14 on 2013-04-19 08:12:22

Sorry for late response thanks for your reply, doing some more and tests on gear, I'd much rather just pay the extra to have a real 4x12 cabinet. Be a while though before I can afford it haha

by fflbrgst on 2013-04-22 06:40:52

A speaker cabinet made for the amp head you buy is going to give a better overall sound.  The speakers in the Spider series amps are designed to have a very flat response due to the modeling in the amp.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.