These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Sonic Port / Mobile In

Is it possible record in STEREO using Mobile In?
by twilightfog on 2012-09-13 12:29:47

I raised a ticket in technical support and they just closed it without any answer. Looks like Line 6 tech. support reps are not very supportive !

So, I'm putting this question to the community here:

Line-6-Mobile-In.jpg

Line 6 claims that Mobile In has a LINE IN STEREO input, and is capable of recording in stereo ( see here and here )

In the second link, the author and the Line 6 rep claimed that BlueFire app successfully records in stereo through the LINE IN STEREO input.

However, I've tried BlueFire , Fire 2 (paid version of BlueFire), TASCAM and several other recording apps, all without success.

Every app recognises the LINE IN STEREO input as MONO, and I'm definitely feeding it a stereo signal (I've confirmed that the source audio and the cable are both stereo, and the cable works fine everywhere else)

So, is Line 6 Mobile In LINE IN STEREO input really stereo? If so, can anyone recommend any recording app, which has successfully recorded in stereo from it?

I would appreciate any replies. I'm really looking forward to be able to use my iPhone for stereo recording, and this was one of the reasons I bought the Mobile In interface.

(using an iPhone 4s - iOS 5.1.1)

Re: Is it possible record in STEREO using Mobile In?
by Hake on 2012-09-14 06:40:14

I try to record something with NanoStudio and it records mono (44,1kHz, 16bit mono)

Then i try same thing with Auria app and i think it records stereo, you have to make stereo track for this or it record mono.

by twilightfog on 2012-09-15 14:02:41

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately I'm unable to check with Auria as its an iPad-only app. Are your sure its not cloning a single mono channel to stereo? A lot of recording apps do that when they find the source as mono but the recording needs to be stereo.

Can you try recording from a source which has distinct audio on left and right channels? (eg: Guitar on left and Vocals on right) , then recording in Auria would reveal if both the channels get captured or only one of the channels simply gets cloned to both left and right.

I suspect that either Line 6 Mobile In has some hardware issue with their LINE IN STEREO input. Or their marketing deapartment invented a stereo input from a mono interface ?

by Hake on 2012-09-16 07:11:09

Download and try Music Studio app.

I own full version but there is free lite version too.

by twilightfog on 2012-09-20 14:22:34

I upgraded to iOS 6 and also upgraded GarageBand to version 1.3 yesterday, and it records in stereo from Mobile in !

Feels great to finally use my iPhone as a mobile studio recorder !

by Hake on 2012-09-21 02:59:23

How did you check the recorded file format?

Music Studio show option to record stereo, mono, left or right channels.

Nanostudio show recorded audio format (mono)

Auria show input matrix.

by twilightfog on 2012-10-04 00:18:05

I recorded a stereo signal and both right and left channels were properly recorded. I didn't inspect the format of the final recording, but it is definitely stereo.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.