These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Latency help
by davecarson on 2012-09-18 04:32:21

Not sure if this is the right area for this question but hear it goes.  I teach a a video production class at the high school level and the school purcahsed a Line 6 UX2 audio interface to use with a couple of lav mics for their morning video announcements but we're having a hard time with latency.  The video is coming in slower than the audio and we're trying to sync the two without having to do any post production.  We are using a program called BoinxTV with an iMac for the video but we can't get the audio to sync.  I've tried  adjusting the "ToneDirect & USB Audio Streaming buffer size" but it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DC

Re: Latency help
by hulbert on 2012-09-18 07:41:00

Hi,

Not sure about the answer to that. (Actually, have a possible answer further down). I haven't used the ux2 with video. I have used another computer to record video while I use another to record audio from the ux2 and then will later attempt to sync them up.

Is the sync problem happening from the start of the video or gradually as it progresses? I used to try different things to sync up audio and video (when using a normal soundcard) - can't remember what I ended up settling on. I used a a few variants of virtualdub and there were a few different ways they had that did things to match the audio up. I think some ways involved slightly slowing and speeding the audio to match, others took some frames out or added some extra ones etc. I don't recall there being a perfect way to do it though as the audio is always recorded at a different rate to video.

One possible solution might be to use pod farm, and put nothing but the digital delay effect on (in the "gear view") and set the mix level to 100%, feedback to 0, and the use the time knob to adjust how big the delay should be. This will then give only the delayed version of the audio and cut out the original audio. The time knob might not give the exact time you want and you might need to type the beats per minute into the bit on the right where it says BPM. The little symbol to the left of this (if there) needs to be turned off and the 'synch' light on the delay needs to be on. Press enter after typing in the bpm. This might take a while to get it right but a bit of testing might get it perfect.

If you don't know how to use pod farm, let me know and I'll let you know what things to do etc.

Also, if you are using pod farm, you would have to also go into pod farm's "Mixer view" and make sure that the output is set to send the 'effected' audio and not the original audio, to the video programme.

God Bless,

David

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.