These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Things you are surprised the HD500 doesn't have?
by holeshot1982 on 2012-09-20 03:46:32

I know some of this has been mentioned before but I'm wondering what people are surprised the HD500 doesn't have?

Me? I'm kinda surprised there isn't a built in metronome. Just a simple quarter note one would have been cool....

Re: Things you are surprised the HD500 doesn't have?
by studiox19 on 2012-09-20 03:52:31

I'm pretty disappointed that the XLR outs volume is not independent of the master volume control like on the X3. It's a real PITA when you can't control your onstage monitoring without upsetting the signal to FOH . . . . . . Line6, this is still a critical omission . . . . .

by meambobbo on 2012-09-20 06:48:22

Just curious - how are you connecting to on-stage monitoring where you can't control the volume levels other than the Master knob on the Pod?

by onanisland on 2012-09-20 07:15:04

1) MIDI signals over USB for other software such as Amplitube other music software that also accepts MIDI messages.

2) Re-amping via USB

3) Phantom powered XLR mic-input

by Mincer on 2012-09-20 07:29:25

There is no way to control the looper volume with the expression pedal. The DL4 had it, and so did the M-series, so I don't get it. It could be such a great device for live improvisational looping, but there is no way to manually fade loops. I still use my DL4 or M9 for that- both much older units.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-20 12:15:56

studiox19 wrote:

I'm pretty disappointed that the XLR outs volume is not independent of the master volume control like on the X3. It's a real PITA when you can't control your onstage monitoring without upsetting the signal to FOH . . . . . . Line6, this is still a critical omission . . . . .

When using the XLR outs, the Master Volume control has no effect at all over the output signal.  It only controls the output volume to the 1/4" outputs for the exact reason of being able to change stage volume without affecting FOH volume.  How does your Master volume work with regards to the XLR outputs on the HD500 unit?

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-20 12:18:29

Mincer wrote:

There is no way to control the looper volume with the expression pedal. The DL4 had it, and so did the M-series, so I don't get it. It could be such a great device for live improvisational looping, but there is no way to manually fade loops. I still use my DL4 or M9 for that- both much older units.

I personally don't use the looper, but I agree with your assessment that if other units have the control you want, the "Flagship" Dream Rig products should have all features found in other Line 6 products that were incorporated into the POD HD500 or HD PRO units since they are the "Flagship" products.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-20 12:44:42

I was actully in disbelief when I tried to use the continuous controller and couldn't set the parameters to some modulation effect. I got the dreaded % and couldn't set the upper or lower limits to HZ. I've been doing that with digitech gear since the early nineties so this level of controll curretnly available the in the HD seemed really basic if compared to what I've been used to!

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-20 12:52:47

My list of things I'm surprised the HD500 and HD PRO units do not have...

1. Many more amps to choose from like all previous Flagship units in the last like the Vetta.  Line 6 "says" the new High Definition (HD) quality is why there are less amps because the amps given are far superior to those in the past.  I don't happen to agree with this conclusion
  2. I was very happy and still am happy with the 80 "inferior" modeled amps/cabs and tons of inferior FX available to me without DSP limit warnings popping up all the time like on the new and improved POD HD units.  And yes I have all the new gear as well which I combine to get the best of both worlds.
  3. No acoustic consideration.  When first released the POD HD units had nothing for Acoustic guitar models or Bass models.  Four are acoustic specific on the Vetta not counting the generic preamps.  I use the Variax guitars and am using the acoustic models on both the older Vax EC700 and the JTV guitars.  Line 6 KNOWS they have these models on their guitars and CHOSE NOT to put these related "amp" options to work within the "Dream Rig" situation?  Also Mono instead of stereo when using a single DT amp instead of the Vetta stereo combo.
  4. No simple BYPASS switch.  And I'm not a "True Bypass" person convinced there truly is such a thing by the simple fact if its plugged into a signal chain, then how can make itself disappear?  But at least some sort of bypass feature.
  5. Values in db instead of percentage.
  6. Pitch reference in semitones with fine tuning on all pitch related FX units.
  7. Better EQ choices than those offered.  Just one 31-band Graphic or a 5-band parameteric with HP, LP, Shelf, and peak parameters.
  8. Exciter, or some other equivalent FX unit.
  9. Edit software that exactly matches the function on the unit and vice-versa.  Some adjustments are only in the software, and others only on the unit.  Why?
  10. For more control over the DSP load - why not make all amps/cabs/FX/Looper OPTIONAL as Model Packs or something similar so we users can choose what we use up the DSP power for instead of making more limitations instead of more freedom.  Forward thinking - right guys?  Improvements over what came before - right guys?  And please don't say the sonic quality is so much better - trade off answer/excuse.  I've had this gear since it's beginning days and I'm not buying that story any longer.
  11. Good sounding patches right out of the box.  Not a single truly useable real world patch in all the patches in the three Set Lists on the unit.
  12. A REAL User Manual like in all past products until the Dream Rig gear came out.  It's all about the bottom line profits - right guys?
  13. Full information on how each software update works covering every aspect which no manual does with these units.  Yes...quite a large task which I would not expect to be in print.  Too many people do not bother to learn this unit and then either sell it having never come here or come here and write things they are upset about.  And let me not forget - those people who see the advertisements and think this unit is EASY TO USE.  How does this help make Line 6 a household brand name in the positive sense instead of the negative?
  14. A SPECIFIC manual (and updates to that as the individual units update their software) covering all aspects of the interconnection of all three pieces for the "Dream Rig" as Line 6 chose to call the combination of the JTV guitar, a POD HD unit, and a DT amp.  Nothing that shows how each piece interrelates with the other as well as the options and differences when choosing which DT amp, and POD HD unit to go with the JTV guitar.  TONS of options and choices with tons of functionality and Line 6 leaves that all up to the owners (or worse the retail sales people) to figure out/recommend which units would work best with which other units in this configuration including the best connection choices based on the users needs and requirements.  Yet again - lots and lots of work to produce some reference material to guide users to the right gear for their needs/wants.  No immediate financial return on helping buyers decide...but certainly a long term positive experience & goodwill with more satisfied & happy Line 6 gear buyers.
  15. Getting more well-known players to use this gear to inspire brand recognition positively, and show players who want to sound like one of their guitar heroes how that user sets up some patches and in which songs those patches work.  Line 6 seems not to care or go after famous players to use and sponsor their gear.  Why not?  Other bigger and more famous companies do.  And even stranger is...Line 6 did some of this in their Spider amp line prior to the HD line of products.
  16. And the others already listed by other posts on this thread.

There is my list and all I've written is related to the original question..."Surprised the HD500 doesn't have".

And here is a link I just found that shows someone asking exactly what I was saying about information regarding the HD500...  http://line6.com/support/message/243209#243209

by studiox19 on 2012-09-20 14:57:06

MerlinFL wrote:

studiox19 wrote:

When using the XLR outs, the Master Volume control has no effect at all over the output signal.  It only controls the output volume to the 1/4" outputs for the exact reason of being able to change stage volume without affecting FOH volume.  How does your Master volume work with regards to the XLR outputs on the HD500 unit?

Hi Merlin, i can't get my system set up at the moment to check, but i'm pretty sure that the Master Volume knob controls the strength of all the outputs on the HD500 - balanced (xlr), unbalanced (1/4") and USB. Which isn't very good. On the X3, you had the option to tie all the outputs to the Master knob or not.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-20 15:26:10

studiox19 wrote:

MerlinFL wrote:

studiox19 wrote:

Hi Merlin, i can't get my system set up at the moment to check, but i'm pretty sure that the Master Volume knob controls the strength of all the outputs on the HD500 - balanced (xlr), unbalanced (1/4") and USB. Which isn't very good. On the X3, you had the option to tie all the outputs to the Master knob or not.

I look forward to your findings once you get your gear up and running to check your Master Volume findings in comparison to mine.

I can say I have no secret recipe for this functionality - it's just always worked this way for me and I have two HD500 units now, both working identical and an HD PRO that does the same.  I don't reply as much on the FOH aspects for the majority of my gigs, but I certainly agree that having all tied together would be frustrating to say the least.  I also have an X3 PRO in my rack of Line 6 gear I use in combination with all other L6 gear and even one of my Vetta combos.

I can't comment on the USB function or not as I do not use any of the POD HD units for recording.  I use POD Farm with a Toneport UX8 interface from the original thru the most recent 2.55 version for recording my guitar for Internet recordings.  Studio recordings is a totally different process for me as I still use more analog than digital gear there.

by hollis1003 on 2012-09-20 15:45:28

I agree with 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12.  Those should have been considerations right out of the box.  For me the others are "nice to have."  Independent XLRs to the 1/4" outputs like the 300 and 400 have blows my mind.  There is not one iota of sense to that decision.

by studiox19 on 2012-09-20 17:42:37

meambobbo wrote:

Just curious - how are you connecting to on-stage monitoring where you can't control the volume levels other than the Master knob on the Pod?

I'm using an 18w Atomic amp at low volumes (there is no master volume control).

I would have thought that this problem would also arise with those people using floor wedges/monitors with volume controls around the back - it is by far easier to control the master volume if it's at your feet

by holeshot1982 on 2012-09-20 18:19:36

That's a lot of good requests and I never thought about a lot of them but most do make sense.

by maqaf1 on 2012-09-20 18:37:05

hollis1003 wrote:

Independent XLRs to the 1/4" outputs like the 300 and 400 have blows my mind.  There is not one iota of sense to that decision.

That has been my biggest issue, having owned and used every previous generation of POD. There's really no excuse for not offering independent control of outputs.

EQ shortcomings are the other Biggie!

Whose brilliant idea was it to use %?

I feel this way and I'm a big fan of Line 6. I can't imagine how someone who's new to the product line would feel about stepping up to the flagship of the floor pedal line.

by spikey on 2012-09-20 19:30:44

Im still very suprised ( and bothered) that (allowing all the outputs available) we dont have seperate outputs. Why I cant simply seperate a patche's pre-amp out from the HD Pro to an amp/cab with simulated cab and mic off, and send another feed with simulated cab and mic ON to the PA/house, FROM THE SAME PATCH at the same time without having to create a cumbersome wierd non intended work-around split feed patch is BEYOND ME. Why not just turn these cabs and mics off and on from each output within the patch itself? I am also suprised that Line 6 gives me a hard jack that is labeled "dry-out" on the back of the HD Pro (its labeled Pro by Line 6 - not my doing mind you), however its not intended for use with its own mating Line 6 Variax JTV guitar using a Line 6 Variax cable. One would have reasoned that all of the flagship HD-Pro's ports would have been compatible with their own flagship guitar and digital cable, while made from the same company. Oh yea there are work arounds for all of this. And if your mother had wheels she would be a wagon....

Dont worry me boyOh's, Im betting Line 6 will fix most all of this soon on what we have or in their "next" model....

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-20 19:56:44

+1 Spikey

I agree 100% and didn't write about that and other HD PRO specific issues I have because I felt like I would confuse the issue being asked about just the HD500.

Perhaps someone might wish to start a similar thread topic and replace HD500 with HD PRO?

by ronnied50 on 2012-09-21 06:46:48

I would have thought by now tone matching would have been available like the Axe Fx II . It makes my eyes rain that it is not and i feel like it prob never will be.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-21 07:03:45

O yeah,  forgot to mention it doesn't do profiling like the Kemper 

by meambobbo on 2012-09-21 07:19:23

**MUZAK** ...your call is very important to us... ...please stay on the line... ...a representative will be with you shortly...  **MUZAK**

by Artvanderley on 2012-09-21 07:20:11

As many models as the budget HD300?

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-21 07:36:38

Finally someone said it, I can't believe it took that long.

by spaceatl on 2012-09-21 09:06:25

I would like to see a couple of analog switch relays...Even if there were only one, that would be handy for integrating with conventional amplifiers...

by ozbadman on 2012-09-21 09:45:53

meambobbo wrote:

**MUZAK** ...your call is very important to us... ...please stay on the line... ...a representative will be with you shortly...  **MUZAK**

At least they have a line. Try calling eBay, or even emailing eBay .

by explorer_32 on 2012-09-21 12:39:44

i would like (and i am surprised they haven't sorted this out yet) spillover between patches.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-21 12:48:02

explorer_32 wrote:

i would like (and i am surprised they haven't sorted this out yet) spillover between patches.

The delays already can do this as long as you choose the option for "trails".  The setting can be found in the Main menu section.

I'm guessing by your post - you are looking for the entire patch to not take immediate effect when changing patches?  If so, I'd like to know why you would want a delay and how you wish the delay to respond if indeed you were asking for that feature.  I cannot think of any situation in my performances where I'd want anything more than a long repeating delay to carry over into a new patch.

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-21 12:55:05

True at this point in time, but not true when the units arrived and then all the commotion about the 300/400 unbits NOT getting the upgrades the 500/PRO units got first the previous time around.

I would bet all my gear that the new update with have the Soldano amp many of us have wanted from the start.  The EQ debate I think will continue to rage on after the public release of the new update unless we wait another 6 months or so.  The two different Edit program associated with each HD500 & HD PRO units will also have to be updated to reflect any changes to the physical units.  I have no idea if the same team works on both or different teams for differnt things?

I'm glad I never sell current gear to buy new gear and have the older Vetta and Variax equipoment as they all still do exactly what I want and need, but now expanded my sonic palette by adding the Dream Rig gear to my long established Line 6 guitar set up.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-21 13:22:00

I am a very understanding person but I've always said that if the Product line name is HD, it just doesn't make sense to update one and not the other. Update everything at once even if it takes longer...or don't update anything at all.

If you want to go back to when the units first came out if it wasn't for hoping they would fix some of the many short coming in an update, I wouldn't have kept my POD past the 30 days just on the EQ alone. I highly doubt that anyone expected to have EQ with % and no control or even knowing the frequncy chosen until they took the units home. Definitely the modeling is leaps and bounds above Previous PODs and POD farm, but why did they have to reinvent the wheel with EQ is beyond comprension and now they're reinventing products update by trating one product as different line of products...

by gunpointmetal on 2012-09-21 13:56:49

they only spillover between toggling the effect on and off in the same patch unless I miss a FW update. If you change patches/presets you gets no spillover..even the terrible sounding GT-8 from boss could do that (as long you as you had the same effects chain in place on the next patch)

by explorer_32 on 2012-09-21 14:46:41

thats what i mean. i want the delay to spillover when i change a patch (not within a patch) i play a lot of U2 stuff so getting the delay right is very important to me.

by spikey on 2012-09-21 14:50:39

DeanDinosaur wrote:

Finally someone said it, I can't believe it took that long.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! The natives will hear you....

by brue58ski on 2012-09-22 01:00:14

In order to have the spillover you describe would require both patches to be running for a certain amount of time.  This means each patch using the DSP for a moment.  Given the current DSP limitations, this would mean each patch would have to be very small and no more than what is allowed now.  I would suggest creating two completely seperate paths and setting up the control pedal to work each amps volume in the opposite direction i.e. it turns up one while turning down the other.  This is essentially what would have to happen anyway.  Of course this would mean only single amp sounds but that's what would have to happen anyway.  Otherwise we're tallking about 3-4 amp sims working at the same time with all of their effects if they were to implement it.  It's pretty obvious that it just doesn't have the DSP to do that.

by Octo777 on 2012-09-22 01:55:01

Mincer wrote:

For me personally, speculating or being "surprised" at the things the HD 500 doesn't have makes about as much sense as me being surprised at why I don't have a few million in the bank...... and it's pretty silly........

However, for the record it IS actually possible to manually fade loops with the expression pedal on the HD500.

You have to set the looper to "Pre" and have a Volume pedal set up in the FX chain. You can then manually fade loops to your hearts content.

Granted, there are restrictions inasmuch that because you are recording in Pre, if you record a loop and then change your patch, the loop sound will also change and there is no way to change the loop volume indepentantly from your patch volume on the fly, but for a simple fade, it totally works and I use this technique regularly......

by Mincer on 2012-09-22 06:58:16

Yes, you can do this, but it will also fade out any live playing over top, unless there is some sort of routing I am not aware of. The idea is to play something live while the loop manually fades- so there is a seamless transition between looped and live playing. Again, this was easy on the DL4 and M-series. In fact, it seems like the actual programming or coding for this was already in place, since it was on the M-series, so it should be easier to implement than most other requests.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-09-22 07:02:31

Octo777 wrote:

For me personally, speculating or being "surprised" at the things the HD 500 doesn't have makes about as much sense as me being surprised at why I don't have a few million in the bank...... and it's pretty silly........

So you weren't surprised that the EQ had % instead of frequencies just like the earlier EQs in previous PODs and POD Farm if you happened to own any of them?

by Octo777 on 2012-09-22 07:37:56

Mincer wrote:

Yes, you can do this, but it will also fade out any live playing over top, unless there is some sort of routing I am not aware of. The idea is to play something live while the loop manually fades- so there is a seamless transition between looped and live playing. Again, this was easy on the DL4 and M-series. In fact, it seems like the actual programming or coding for this was already in place, since it was on the M-series, so it should be easier to implement than most other requests.

I've not used the looper in that way. I just use it for a straight fade out of my recorded loop and what I am playing over the top. I should also add that I only use this for ending one song so maybe you are just more inventive and creative than me.....

But.....why do people assume that just because X Unit had X Feature that Y Unit is also going to have X Feature?

I mean, maybe it was easy to do this fading stuff on the DL4 and the M Series units and maybe they did allow for more control, but neither the DL4 or M Series units also came with a slew of HD Amp models as well as a bunch of other stuff......

These are not modular units and there is a finite amount of space in each and therefore, something has to give when it comes to what features to include on any given unit.

The way I see it personally, if a looper is such an integregal part of your show, then you would benefit more from having a stand alone looper anyway and griping about the "lack" of features on the HD500 looper would be entirely moot.....

DeanDinosaur wrote:

Octo777 wrote:

So you weren't surprised that the EQ had % instead of frequencies just like the earlier EQs in previous PODs and POD Farm if you happened to own any of them?

Surprised? No. Probably would be better if they used the actual frequencies I agree and there is still scope for this to be ammended at some point in the future, but me being "surprised" about it wouldn't have made the damndest bit of difference in the first place, so.......?

by MerlinFL on 2012-09-22 13:53:18

To Octo and any others who feel the same as he has written about this topic...

My personal point is that these units are considered the "Flagship" products. That statement alone says that these units should be at least as good as any unit prior and certainly reasonable to expect that these units include all functionality of units created by Line 6 in a certain way to actually work in the same way.

If that means more cost for users, then what's wrong with that?  There are lesser units I would not hold to this same standard as entry levels products produced by Line 6.

For example - the Vetta came out long before the POD X3 Pro both were Flagshipunits at the time of their release.  I still think the Vetta is more of a Flagship unit than anything produced since, but that's just my personal opinion which is meaningless as always.  However, the point is that the X3 Pro unit was based on the POD Farm design plus the Vetta design and combined to make a new Flagship unit which was at least as good or perhaps better in many aspects.  That is my definition of what Flagship products should be.  This word can even be looked up and by dictionary definition, the term Flaghsip has not been met by these new POD HD units or any other units since the POD X3 and Vetta were produced that did follow this term to its true meaning.

So yes...I believe anyone unhappy with either the HD500 or HD PRO should be upset if it does not function as well as individual units Line 6 created and used the R&D expense into this newer  pair of units.  I expressed my thoughts over two years ago when the HD500 was going to be first introduced.  I said..."Line 6 is potentially making a big mistake trying to split the difference between pro users and non-pro users with that unit".  Because that is exactly what this unit represents Line 6 trying to accommodate both types of guitar players.  And now after that period of time has pasted...and with all the unhappy owners, and even more very confused & frustrated owners...I think my point has been validated after all this time and all the posts about topics like this thread asks.

Line 6 should never make a unit so complicated and flexible as these units are and then advertise them as something for anyone.  These units are definitely not for everyone.  The learning curve is the highest of any unit in it's price range ($500.00 retail) and even among the hardest pieces of gear to learn to it's fullest extent and capabilities in any price range.  And the final insult is that to keep costs down Line 6 chose to use % instead of db or other more familiar increment for adjusting all the various amps-cabs-EQs-delays, etc.  As a previously poster stated - "why be surprised Line 6 used the same % as they have in all other POD products?".  I agree with that statement as a general statement, but the key factor here is the term Flagship.  That changes the entire playing field for me and apparently others who seem to have expected more than repeating the same, yet not quite the same and then call the models HD (High Definition) because they are modeled so much better and in more detail.  I do not doubt this aspect, but to give so much on one side and skimp on another makes no sense to me.  Even with the previously accomplished forward thinking of previous Line 6 products, there was always allowances for upgrades and even hardware upgrades like on the Vetta series 1 units.  Because it was planned in R&D that the Variax guitars would be coming out and they would use a newly conceived of VDI connection for power and two-way digital communication.  That was all Flagship thinking and the results prove it.

Now in 2012 and perhaps back in 2007 when all this was probably on a drawing board, why was that planning of expansion not there...or was it and then removed before production?  Is it now all about profits instead of profits and the musicians who spend their hard-earned money as demonstrated by Line 6 in the past?  Why not have Expansion packs, or expansion boards like so many Flagship keyboards have to expand the capabilities if you need or want to?  Why have all of us upset at seeing DSP OVERLIMIT messages and have no way of adding - just subtracting?  I've also written before that the majority of these units should have been modular with each set of amps, FX, etc with their own circuit board which could be purchased at an extra charge with just the really basic functions hardwired into the POD HD500 and HD PRO units.  I never use the looper on the POD HD units I have a separate one which does tons more, yet I have paid for and have the DSP usage always there for something I never ever will use.  And not to beat this "dead horse" much further but Egnater does do what I'm describing.  Each circuit board has a set of functions as well as it's own memory for all options on that board which can easily be added by any end user.

How many would pay $300.00 for a bare bones HD500 unit and perhaps $50 - $100.00 per add-on circuit board with exactly what you want and not have DSP wasting things on the unit you now have instead?  And then the Edit matched software could be user configurable to read either %  db - or 1-10, etc.  And with each add-on circuit board, it would come with add-on Edit-ware to match.  And this is very wrong...how?  Still have HD300/400 units for any not wanting this level of detail.  So again...this is wrong how?  Units like that would truly be Flagship!!  And that is just the POD HD portion of the Dream Rig.  Flagship amps should at least have corners like all amp prior, and perhaps even consider adding pop-out wheels since the amp are so darn heavy. 

Offer a stereo version 2x12 combo/head since the POD HD units are all stereo output capable.  And sell them with at least a thick tolex covering instead of the paper thin crap that is on them now.  Sell them with at least a sturdy vinyl cover like Marshall, Fender, Mesa, Randall, and many other companies do or at least used to do.  And when connected to any DT amp via L6 link - have the power supplied to the POD HD units in the same cable!  Now that would be Flagship.

by Mincer on 2012-09-22 15:51:40

I do have several loopers. I have a DL4, and an M9...and other brands as well. The idea is that the programming was already done. I think complaining that an effects device by the same company that is several years old (that they still sell) has a more controllable looper is a valid point. The effects and programming of the M series is almost exactly the same as the HD series. This is their flagship pedalboard- it seems like it was an oversight not including this feature.
Also, the overdub parameter for the looper on the HD500 works the same as it does on the M-series- NOT the way it is described in the HD500 manual.

by silverhead on 2012-09-22 16:18:52

Mincer wrote:

Also, the overdub parameter for the looper on the HD500 works the same as it does on the M-series- NOT the way it is described in the HD500 manual.

I wasn't aware of that - but I don't know exactly how it works on the M-series. Can you please elaborate on this? Maybe the manual should be changed.

by Mincer on 2012-09-22 22:15:51

The HD500 manual states:

Overdub - Use Multi-function Knob 2 to adjust the level at which all Overdubs are recorded. This level does not affect the level of your original Loop recording.

The M9 manual states:

In the first Setup screen you’ll see two Looper Levels to adjust in the center of the LCD. The first is Play, which determines the volume of your Looper’s playback as balanced with your live guitar. The second is Overdub, which determines the volume of your loop in Overdub mode.

To clarify, if your Overdub Level is set to 90%, each time your loop begins a new overdub its volume will be reduced by 10%, sounding quieter and quieter with each overdub pass.

The HD500's looper 'Overdub' parameter determines the loop fade time when in overdub mode only, including the original loop. If you go into 'play' mode, the loop fade is 'locked' where it has faded to, and will not fade unless you go back into overdub. This is almost the same as on the M9. The difference is that on the M9, you can control the fade amount with the exp pedal. This is useful if you want a loop that is contantly fading, yet also contantly changing as new material is added but want to keep the same loop time. So, the manual for the HD500 is incorrect. In fact, if it were to work as described in the HD500 manual, it would be a lot less useful. If you wanted a quieter volume of overdub, you could just play quieter or add a volume pedal in an effects slot.

by meambobbo on 2012-09-23 20:07:18

I've thought about this. It's doable although it would require some work by line 6. Basically instead of unloading the delay effect when switching patches it gets placed in an invisible path parallel to the visible signal chain and mixed into the signal right before the output at the end of the chain. It would only do this if the new patch has enough spare dsp to fit the delay in the previous patch

by birro on 2012-10-02 19:55:20

Hi guys. I've been away from the forum due to private reasons but just checked and liked this discussion. Regarding Merlin's great post, I'd say:

1) I don't care about having thousands of amps, but high quality ones. Two or three for clean, two for blues... but with a wider range of music styles. With the current amps we don't have specific ones for some styles. To simulate a Mesa Boogie Triaxis or an ADA, you have to spend lots of hours/days/months tweaking. I miss the Mesa Boogie simulations from the X3L. Now at the HD500 you just can't turn the gain up because it sound muddy or like a "bee". And the amps aren't just "heavy" enough. You have to add gain or a Screamer. IMHO they should work on amp styles and pick two or three references for each style. Not just add amps and amps and amps...;

2) Acoustic amps: how come? The HD should be a step forward from the X3L, not a step back. Where are the acoustic amps? At stage I plug my acoustic at the aux input (so I just leave the acoustic guitar at the stand when I need it and don't need to change cables, and can also change from the acoustic to the electric during a song). I've bought a guitar with piezo (my dream came true!!)... but no amps seems right for the piezo. I spent days tweaking until I get a great piezo sound (info: my guitar has a Fishman Powerbridge, so it's not a bad quality piezo);

3) A decent Whammy/Octaver: I just can't emulate 12 strings because the effect can't handle chords very well;

4) Instead of dezens of flangers and phasers, a GOOD flanger. The quality over the flanger and the phaser seems pretty bad compared to the X3L (again, thinking that the HD is just a step forward, not a step do the side or in other direction). As the name says HD, the flangers and phasers sound worse than the X3L, XTL and several other brands;

5) EQ: why is the EQ so weak and so hard to tweak? Why can't they just provide 5 band, 16 band and 31 band equalizers but with the parameters for each frequency as a pedal? Because for the piezo I had to add 3 stacks of EQ just to get the shape of the sound I hear the patch needed;

6) Wah-wah: again... several other units from other brands (I'm not comparing to a Fractal, but to the similar prices ones) have better wah sounds. For the HD we have several models but none sounds THE wah for me. And still you need to adjust the mix because they're so loud!!

7) Edit software with real time update. Everytime I change a patch from the slot I need to close and open the software to re-sync. Come on! The POD is USB 2.0 and the patches sizes are so small. I don't understand why it needs to sync and why it takes so long;

8) Booster: whenever you need to boost the volume due to a different guitar it changes the sound. I've tried the compressor, the EQs that have the gain feature... but they just change the sound;

9) They should push the unit to the limit. Work on the firmware reliability/stability, work over the hardware and release updates not only to bring improvements... but to fix problems. I don't care if Fractal has version 8.0 and after a few years we get crazy waiting for updates. Instead of working on new series they should explore the actual ones to the limit. Make them bugless. Improved. Corrected. Ok... to add features they should bring new series or maybe a HD501, HD600... but still we have several problems reported at the forum. Why don't they work on reliability turning the HD into a real gig gear? I would like to see great bands and players also using a HD on a gig. And for this it's not only the quality of the sound (because the HD has), but it's about reliability. Why can the awful Zoom 505, Zoom 1010 after over 15 years keep working and lots of HD after 1-3 years have problems?

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-02 20:10:44

Birro - glad your back.  It's nice to read a post from someone who understands what my posts mean.  Direct, to the point, & simple although admittedly long. 

I wished I was a better writer but among the many things I am good at, writing short posts about gear and a company i have devoted so much time, effort and money to over nearly a decade only to see the company doing things that are forward in one aspect, but missing the mark seemingly on purpose just to hit a profit point instead of making what they have better.  That's my idea of progress - not reinventing the wheel...just make a better one. 

Over 3 years of using these products should -in my opinion- take more than a sentence or two to describe how someone feels about the gear, citing examples, of why, and what all the terms and advertisement catch phrases should mean instead of what they turn out to mean.

by birro on 2012-10-03 18:07:39

Thanks Merlin! And you know me... always long "bibles"

So you've been with Line6 for 3 years? On my counts I'm almost 6 years as a Line6 user. POD XT, X3L and now the HD.

I just hope they manage some of our concerns as users and maybe the HD gets more reliable, more "complete" (to our needs) or maybe the next series brings more happiness and excitement than spending our time trying to tweak and get what we want from it.

After all, the HD series has lots of features. Unfortunately to some users (as us) we need to spend more time to sound how we'd like.

Cheers!

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-03 19:45:22

I'm surprised once it loads there's no logo about the dream Rig and that's not a joke. Many are getting amazing results combining the HD with DT and with the Variax added in etc etc... I see in many posts in differenet boards question about what amp to pair the HD with, maybe the logo will trigger a question mark and then a light bulb,

by DrFix on 2012-10-04 03:38:12

1. reamping via usb

2. AN ADVANCED METRONOME!! This wouldn't cost anything and would be very very easy to implement... I mean with different rythm styles, time divisions, etc...

by fenders74 on 2012-10-04 03:45:47

Better EQ, more preamp, and one or two Acoustic amp to use with Variax in simulated mode.

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-04 12:34:10

birro wrote:

Thanks Merlin! And you know me... always long "bibles"

So you've been with Line6 for 3 years? On my counts I'm almost 6 years as a Line6 user. POD XT, X3L and now the HD.

I just hope they manage some of our concerns as users and maybe the HD gets more reliable, more "complete" (to our needs) or maybe the next series brings more happiness and excitement than spending our time trying to tweak and get what we want from it.

After all, the HD series has lots of features. Unfortunately to some users (as us) we need to spend more time to sound how we'd like.

Cheers!

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your message here birro  I'll try to explain better this time...

I've been using since 2003 and participating with Line 6 and their forums since 2007.  I signed an NDA back in 2009 when I started doing official beta work for the company.  At no time have I ever been employed by Line 6.

I hope the new updates will address concerns presented by many on these forums.  I would prefer Line 6 give us who use their gear more ability to pick & choose what models we want on our own guitars now that their have been many acoustic models made unavilable with the new software updates.  I personally don't think at this point in the lifeetime of the Line 6 company, we as users should have to choose between new functions and older model instruments. 

I think the company should offer Model Packs like they do for POD Farm.  I'd pay a reasonable fee to have exactly the acoustic models I want or need for my JTV guitar.  I think the same should be done with the entire POD HD line above the HD400 unit.  Make circuit boards that users can put in, or take out with just the internal DSP going to functions all other circuit boards must have.  DSP limitations are understandable, but also very frustrating.  The Egnater company has a line of amps that do a similar type of thing.

If they were to change the design to modular, this would no longer be a problem since each board would have it's own memory and DSP power to ensure every model on that board could be used if someone wanted.  Like a board for all reverbs, a board for all sorts of terrifcally functional EQs, one of Amp heads, another for cabinets.  Which I hope would also allow one head to drive more than one cabinet of different types with the variety of mics on the cabinet circuit board.  And so on...

by birro on 2012-10-04 16:52:40

Now I got it. I thought you considered the total time when you wrote 3 years.

I do agree they should have Model Packs for the HD. However I still don't feel comfortable yet to purchase if they release. There are still problems related to reliability and stability of the firmware and the unit itself to prove that I can "upgrade it" with no concerns that it will last with no problems.

But yes. They should add model packs for acoustic, for metal... something like what they did for the XT series at that time. I had a classic (or vintage) model pack on mine XT Live. Just can't remember the name of the pack... but it was REALLY great!

Cheers!

by Artvanderley on 2012-10-04 17:19:09

The ability to be used as a dongle for pod farm, like their cheaper and older interfaces?

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-04 18:24:51

Voice recognition, so that I could give a laymans explanation of my requirements or problems and the unit would configure itself.

... sorry.. couldnt resist.

Seriously though, although I love alot of the ideas mentioned (especially EQ and metronome suggestions), as such a newbie I'd be pressed to really understand everything the unit HAS got for quite some time, let alone whats missing. But maybe there is a point here. i.e. that perhaps the guys at line 6 have gotten so tied up in providing advanced features, that some of the more basic items were forgotten/neglected.

by studiox19 on 2012-10-06 11:34:39

. . . . . and another blimin' thing. There is no way to alter the response curve of the expression pedal. I really don't like the the way the pedal works with volume fade out - it's rubbish. Massive fade in the first third and then a little in the last two thirds.

We need to be able to alter this parameter between logarithmic and linear . . . . . . . . .

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.