These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

Confused about noise gate defaults
by blomasky on 2012-09-27 05:16:21

OK, I must be missing something, or am not sure of the controls for the noise gate.   When I select the Male lead, I see the following setting

Atk/Threshold = +16.3dB.  Doesn't this mean that the gate will open (no sound) when the level is below +16db?  That does not make sense (to me!)

Also, can you explain the relOff that is set to -10db?

Thank you

Bruce

Re: Confused about noise gate defaults
by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-27 09:14:50

If you try it, it becomes obvious that as soon as you switch on the gate the gate closes (no sound). We did this on the vocal presets because gates are most likely used for very special cases. Usually on a vocal microphone the gate causes more problems than it solves. If you have background noise and set a gate, the noise coming in and out with the gate opening and closing is more disturbing than constant noise.

Of course there are applications for a noise gate. For example in a conference or similar. We wanted to make sure that it becomes very obvious when you switch on the gate on a vocal channel so you do not end up with having it on unintentionally and during the show the last maybe not so well pronounced syllables are cut off.

On the drum presets the defaults are set very differently so if you just switch on the gate and your trim level is right, it is at a good starting point.

The release offset determines where the gate closes (no sound) in relation to the attack threshold. If this is set to "0" the gate acts like any gate that just has a threshold parameter. The offset can prevent the gate from constantly opening and closing very quickly if the signal is exactly around the threshold level.

Cheers

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.