These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Is there anyway to simulate feedback when using headphones?
by Talenless on 2012-10-02 11:36:23

the one thing i miss about a real tube amp with a real speaker is the musical feedback.

is there anyway to simulate this when using headphones?

Re: Is there anyway to simulate feedback when using headphones?
by meambobbo on 2012-10-02 12:13:17

put a sustainiac in your guitar... that's about all i can think of - without something to physically drive the strings such as real feedback or a magnetic driver like the sustainiac you are forced to rely on effects to emulate it by using infinite feedback that typically sound like crap.

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-02 13:22:50

Talenless wrote:

the one thing i miss about a real tube amp with a real speaker is the musical feedback.

is there anyway to simulate this when using headphones?

Way back in the old days when doing solos live with a band recording in my studio and what you want was needed, all I did was hook up another pair of headphones to the guitar output in the mix, and set it very close to the guitar player and amazingly, by putting the guitars pickups pointed towards the headphones you could get the same feedback as you would in front of an amp.  Even the position could cause different harmonic feedback top occur depending on how hot the signal gain was coming from the guitar and how loud the headphones were turned up.

Perhaps you might give that a try.

Take care,

Neal

by hurghanico on 2012-10-02 16:37:38

Congratulations MerlinFL!
a very ingenious solution

Necessity is the mother of invention

by MerlinFL on 2012-10-02 17:59:10

Old school tricks before the digital age sometimes are still useful in the modern digital work.

All kidding aside - I hope it helps get the performance you want.  Please write back and let me know if it worked out for you or not.

Take care,

Neal

by jimsreynolds on 2012-10-02 23:32:41

I 'emulate' feedback for one song by assigning the pitch shifter to the expression pedal.  I set the pitch to an octave up then.  I then assign the mix to the expression pedal so that heel down is 0% (i.e. dry) and toe down is 100%.  I leave the pedal heel down for normal playing and then when I want 'feedback' I sustain a note and slowly press the pedal toe down.

In itself, this does not create the sustain associated with feedback but it gives the harmonic overtone, which is what I am shooting for.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.