These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

I observed a touring guitarist using an HD500 with only a powered speaker like the line 6 L3T This intrigued me has anyone perfromed live this way and are there any problems doing this setup?
by njdolan on 2012-10-03 11:01:36

I observed a touring guitarist recently who was using anHD500 with only a powered speaker and DI to board. His souind was great. Has anyone actually used this setup? Are there any sownsides to using this rig configuration?

Re: I observed a touring guitarist using an HD500 with only a powered speaker like the line 6 L3T This intrigued me has anyone perfromed live this way and are there any problems doing this setup?
by PremiumJones on 2012-10-03 19:38:23

I do it all the time for rehearsal and gigging with my multi-genre cover band.  I personally see no downside, but some people have hard time getting used to the lack of "physical" interaction with a cranked amp.

Re: I observed a touring guitarist using an HD500 with only a powered speaker like the line 6 L3T This intrigued me has anyone perfromed live this way and are there any problems doing this setup?
by jimsreynolds on 2012-10-03 23:10:15

There are certainly a number of people round here that have taken that leap and gig out like that regularly.   Personally, I like a real amp in the setup somewhere though that might change if I invested in a good personal monitoring setup.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-10-04 02:27:55

I tour using nothing but a direct connection. The only real downside is that you're not flooding the stage with the same level of sound as the drummer and depending on the quality of the house PA and the house wedges (assuming you don't have your own) the sound can be a bit variable. What I've found is that for the most part, the audience gets a great sound (except for anyone standing forward of the PA system). You, on the other hand, might not. To that end we'll be adding powered PA speakers to act as cabs behind us; HH Tessens probably. That should bring the stage level of the guitars up sufficiently to balance everything out and provide us with the sensation of pushing some air around!

by BigChas52 on 2012-10-04 03:25:47

I had been using my HD500 with just a powered floor wedge, and sending a direct feed to the house PA, and it sounded great.

That said, I recently replaced my floor wedge with a Line 6 DT-25 amp, and the sound is phenominal.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-04 10:40:15

I think the Pod's preamp and power amp simulations are great.  The cab/mic simulations work very well for some styles of music, but IMO fail to match the clarity and full frequency response of a real 4x12 for a high gain tone.  I've resorted to using "dual cabs" as a work around: http://line6.com/support/thread/88099">http://line6.com/support/thread/88099">http://line6.com/support/thread/88099

Another option if you wanted better-sounding cab/mics while still going direct would be to simulate them with another piece of gear, such as a DI box with cab/mic simulation (very cheap solution), get a dedicated product for this (such as the TwoNotes Torpedo products), or load 3rd party IR's onto something capable of running them, such as a laptop or MuseBox.  The TwoNotes Torpedo is probably the best option - you can set it up to switch with your Pod patches, so you have a ton of versatility without tap-dancing.  The DI box and laptop/MuseBox solutions work well, but you probably aren't going to be able to set them up to switch between multiple IR's.  you could probably set it up to do so, but I'm not sure how much latency there would be between switching and how much work it would require to set up.

Personally, I think that "dual cabs" using the Pod's onboard cab sims are the best solution for my needs.  I don't need to run lots of effects, so in general DSP limitations are not a huge burden (although they occasionally force me to compromise).  The upside is that I don't have to lug around a power amp and cab, I have more versatility in the kind of sounds I can achieve.  Everything is inside my Pod HD patch, so I don't need to worry about setting multiple pieces of gear to work together.  And I don't have to worry about something like a laptop suddenly freezing, restarting, or getting broken in a live environment.  And I don't have to purchase a TwoNotes product that costs more than my Pod.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-04 18:03:00

Another option if you wanted better-sounding cab/mics while still going direct would be to simulate them with another piece of gear, such as a DI box with cab/mic simulation (very cheap solution),

An interesting point. Maybe I am misreading, but does this imply that a 'cheap' DI box is more effective than the POD's own emulations?

by meambobbo on 2012-10-04 18:35:22

I don't have one to test but it's possible depending on the tone you want. The downside is you only get one tone

by HDProJohn on 2012-10-05 11:07:53

I have minimal experience, hence my question. Why do you guys prefer stage monitoring to IEMs?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.