These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

Bose L1 Compact Speakers for portable Open Mic sessions
by blomasky on 2012-10-06 11:53:47

I know that Line6 makes some lovely speakers that mate so well with the SS mixer, but besides the weight (old man with bad back!) the size is an issue for me.  I run around the country running "open mics" or jam sessions with up to 20 musicians and up to 80 fans.  Small and transportable (and the fact, they "say" I won't need monitors, makes me think I can put together a small enough package that I can easily transport the gear in a small sedan (perhaps with the right case, check the speakers on a plane, and carry the mixer.  Does anyone have any experience with these puppies?  Since the rooms venues are usually small meeting rooms in hotels, I can give up on some of the SPL that the big speakers can deliver.  I have to make a decision soon and would love some feedback from those who have used them?

2nd question, Anyone using a Furman PL-Plus C Power conditioner?  With the cost of the mixer and all the delicate electronics this seems like a fairly cheap insurance policy against crappy electricity (plus one less extension cord I have to pack).  Anyone find a better (lighter) protection device?

Thanks

Bruce

Re: Bose L1 Compact Speakers for portable Open Mic sessions
by Vettaville-nl on 2012-10-07 04:08:37

I'm not sure what you're asking Bruce in the first question part, but I think you're asking if the L1 would be a better alternative in conjuction with the M20D as agains the L3t's.

Allt hough I haven't work with both speakers in conjuction with the M20d I do have experience with the L1's and L3t. If the only reason yof taking them into account is the carry weight/transportabaillity is than the L1 will be you're choice. In ease of use, I think the L3t will be easier since they're more adjustable to whatever you need it for from the M20d themselves. Also the L6 link provides you with an extra 31 band equlaizer if needed.

the power of the L3t is higher then the L1's and with the L1 you'll have more cables running (when used with M20d)

From an educated guess the sound from the L1 is slightly more 'hifi-esque" with less low end  (or you should have more L1 bassmodules). Don't get me wrong for a P.A. speaker (if that's the only thing you'll need them for) the L3t sound (against several other known brands) very comfortable and there's no harshness (I know this is subjective).

Also the L3t can be configured themselves to do different things (DJ, Guitar/acoustics modes) for the L1 you would need the Bose mixer..

On a side note. I have waited a long time to buy a small P.A. and really loved the L1 solution. Howevr when the L3t and M20d came out it was a no-branier for me once I heared them live and played with the system for an afternoon.

Hope it helps to some extend.

- Kind regrads

- Hans

by dboomer on 2012-10-08 17:03:40

2nd question, Anyone using a Furman PL-Plus C Power conditioner?  With the cost of the mixer and all the delicate electronics this seems like a fairly cheap insurance policy against crappy electricity (plus one less extension cord I have to pack).  Anyone find a better (lighter) protection device?

Of course it all depends ... but these kinds of devices don't offer much real protection.  Remember that the StageScape has a universal power supply and will handle anything from 90- 260 vac.  A better option would be a UPS supply ...  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

by litesnsirens on 2012-10-13 00:05:28

Well I think he was asking about the L1 compact, which I think will do wonderfully for the size of venues he is playing. I have a couple of Bose L1 model II's and I just got the new B2 bass modules to go with them.  These B2s are a game changer and finally bring that chest pounding thump to the L1. They actually outperform 4 of the older B1s by a long shot, but unfortunately won't work (easily) with the compact. On the other hand if you are going for lightweight and small and you are just doing smaller rooms, setting up a couple of compacts with the M20d will probably serve you quite well.  I think you'll be quite surprised with what these little things can do and how good they actually sound.  They seem like such a step down from the model II on paper, but in a smaller venue you would be hard-pressed to justify carrying and setting up a bigger system. 

I'm not sure how many extra cables it would take.  Left out to one compact, Right out to the other.  Wouldn't you have to do something like that with the L3t?  You still have to power the L3t's as well don't you?  So same number of power cables.  Also if we are speaking about the compact, it has RCA ins 1/4" phono in and 1/8' Ipod in on channel 2 and a mic input on channel 1.  You don't get effects but you can use it on it's own to do other things. 

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.