These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Connecting to power amp
by glp6 on 2012-10-06 19:32:01

I resently purchased 2 Tech 21 power engines to connect my pod hd 500 to. I want to use XLR cabels left to one and right to the other power engine in order to have stereo sound. What would be the best global settings to use? I had been plugging straight into a combo amp. Are there any other changes in set up I should make?

Re: Connecting to power amp
by PremiumJones on 2012-10-06 19:55:55

ComboAmp probably... the Power Engine is basically a normal open back combo amp without a preamp, so it should act like plugging into the FX return of any combo amp.

But try them all to see which sounds best to you anyway.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-06 20:08:38

Hi there,

PremiumJones' answer is probably a more 'knowledgable' one than mone, but looking at the Tech21 site, it says ..

When plugging your favorite device into a Power Engine, the tone is unaffected. So there's no need to labor over readjusting all your parameters that would otherwise be colored by a conventional amp.

... which suggests to me that the 'studio direct' option is at least worth a try.

however, the I definately agree that you may as well see which setting sounds best to you.

by PremiumJones on 2012-10-06 21:19:42

The only "rule" is that you must try everything to see if you like it.

That said, the power engine uses Celestion Seventy 80 speakers, so the range is only 80 to 5Khz. Studio mode will likely sound way too dark and muffled going through a speaker of that range.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-06 23:29:08

PremiumJones,

Interesting. To be honest, I hadnt read any of the specs, only the 'blurb' that included the text I quoted previously. Given that range, that blurb seems more than a little misleading. That said, if the response is fairly flat within that range they may still have a point. You obviously know a lot more about the drivers involved than I.

As I say, I am no expert at all, so I am also trying to learn.

As an aside, I am using my very recently acquired HD500 direct through to my old Celestion KR10 PA speakers in studio direct mode. Whilst Ive no doubt things could be better, Im pretty pleased with the results (though I am clearly not comparing, as although my speakers are pretty old, they are obviously twin driver units... not that I know what drivers these were).

by PremiumJones on 2012-10-06 23:51:59

KR10s are full range (50-20Khz) so Studio mode is probably the best choice for them. Thats how I use the POD most of the time myself.

The thing about not changing your tone is more in relation to the lack of preamp/tone shaping in the power engine - if you use it with a guitar amp/FX box as it is intended, with that amp/box already being in "guitar range", the range of the power engine wont affect that tone in other words.

by joel_brown on 2012-10-08 14:15:34

I use my PODHD into the Effect return of a pair of JCM900 Marshall amps using the Studio/Direct option.  I tried all the other settings and didn't like it.  But you should try them all just in case.

I also recently purchased an external Dual 31 Band EQ to use between the PODHD and amps.  That was a giant help, atleast for me, in getting the tone I wanted.  I found a used DBX EQ for $90.  But new Dual 15 Bands are only like $139.  IMO - well worth the investment.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.