These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD series much better than the POD Studio UX1??
by otiss on 2012-10-07 07:05:36

Hello,

I have a question reagrding the HD series. I currently own the POD Studio UX1 which I use for home recording, and I was wondering if purchasing one of the HD POD's would make a major difference.

The UX1 has given me no issues so far, but if the HD would give me significantly better recordings and possibilities compared to the UX1, I would consider buying it.

So are there any people that have had experience with both and know if it is really much better? My main concern is the price of the HD (it's quite expensive) and I want to know if it is worth the investment.

Thanks in advance,

Otis

Re: HD series much better than the POD Studio UX1??
by TheRealZap on 2012-10-07 08:31:44

If you're primary interest is recording, I would hold off on the HD's The sound quality is better on the HD's but it will affect your workflow, since it doesn't do simultaneous wet/dry out or have a VST plugin that you can use... assuming you use those features....
who knows? those features may come to the HD over time...

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-07 14:45:01

The amp modeling in the HD is newer generation. There's so much more improvement in the feel department, the sound is much richer, it feels and sound closer to real amps than POD Farm. The disadvantage is not having the routing flexibilty but still for recording I would chose the POD HD over previous PODs/UX/Pod Farm anytime. For guitar sound, I no longer have any use for POD Farm/X3 Xt modeling even if someone gives them away for free, I would use POD HD instead.

In summary it's a Major improvement to Amp modeling.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-07 15:13:52

all true. sound quality is no contest.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-07 19:00:41

I thought the 300 Or 400 may do wet / dry out in so much that you could record dry whilst monitoring wet?

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-07 19:24:17

not over USB none of them will.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-07 19:29:59

No not over usb (I thought I had kind of said that by saying 'record' dry, and 'monitor' wet.)

I realise this may not be the full extent of flexibility that the OP wants, but its is at least a 'true' option, as opposed to the rather fudged workaround that exists for the 500.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-08 06:00:06

You may be right there, I seem to remember a feature like that, I just never use it... sounds worth looking into though if it would suit your needs.

but then you'd end up processing it with pod farm or similar VST software and lose the HD quality...

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-09 20:48:26

Very good point, and one I hadnt considered.

That said, you'd at least HAVE the option of recording wet with the HD quality, or re-effectong / amping with other software.

Having said all this, another Expert on another tread has adamantly advised that the wet/dry monitoring / recording set up I speak of doesnt exist. I am yet to locate where I read about it, though I know I read of it more than once, as it was a factor I considered when ultimately purchasing my 500. However, as I do not have the other models - and in light of wehat I havew recently been told - it seems what I suggested is not an option.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.