These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Cobblers. Is it worth moving from a HD400 to a HD500 ?
by Stueyd on 2012-10-10 07:00:50

Firstly I bought a DT25 which I think is just amazing.

Then I thought "ooh wouldn't it be useful if I could control it from the Pod" and bought a HD400. I looked at the 500 but as it had less amp models and lots more knobs, I was afraid of option paralysis and went for the cheaper option as I thought "I won't be using this with a Variax anyway".

So roll on a few weeks, i'm pretty happy I can drive the HD400 and know what i'm doing and the 500 doesn't seem so daunting and I got the opportunity of a good deal on a JTV-59 which i've fallen in love with.

Damn.

Now i've re-read what I can do with the HD500 and Variax and i'm thinking "i've messed up here...".

I'm thinking how useful it would be to have the required guitar already stored with the amp sounds.

Anyone else gone from the 300 or 400 to the 500.

Do you existing HD500 owners use your extra options like Variax connectivity

Should I bite the bullet and replace the HD400 with a 500?

Re: Cobblers. Is it worth moving from a HD400 to a HD500 ?
by Octo777 on 2012-10-10 07:52:43

In my opinion, you should definitely have went with the 500 off the bat.

Yeah, it sounds like a bum deal that the 500 currently has less amps than the 3/400 models, but they will be available on the 500 eventually, just a bit of patience required there.

I use my 500 with a Variax Acoustic 700 and the VDI cable for exactly what you want to use it for Gutiar and Amp  sounds (or effects in my case) being selected simultaneously and it's become an invaluable part of my rig.

I say, if you have the means, definitely upgrade.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-10 08:18:27

I have the 300, 500, and the bean... of those 500 eaily wins... love the variax input and the L6LINK (have the dream rig)

want to pick up a pro primarily for studio use... maybe one day....

by silverhead on 2012-10-10 09:56:25

I have both HD400 and HD500. I also have a JTV-59. I use my HD500 almost exclusively because of its flexibility in FX assignment (no FX1, FX2, FX3 constraints in selection and placement of FX) and also because of its JTV control features.

The main advantage of the HD400 (for me) is its ease of use. It's simpler to dial in a good-sounding tone using the knobs, and there's no chance of DSP Overload. The HD500 has many more features and options, but you need to be comfortable with a steeper learning curve and you need to like tweaking.

Another advantage of the HD400 is its dual-output option. You can send a STUDIO tone (with cab/mic simulations) to a mixer/PA while also sending a Live tone (no cab/mic) to an amp. You can't do this with the HD500.

But overall, especially with a Variax, the HD500 is my choice.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-10 12:15:22

I had the HD300 for a while and updated to the HD500. Couldn't be happier, the internal routing flexibility of using dual two or three modulation, DRIVEs EQs etc alone was worth it. Also you can't forget the HD500 has input impedence matching (hardware and software feature that I find really usefull in getting more authentic and better tones). I say go for it.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-11 01:46:38

I guess I should double check, but I am sure I commented on having read there was some way in which the 300 or 400 could provide a wet tone for monitoring whilst also providing a dry tone in a less contrived way than has been documented for the 500. And I am equally sure that it was yourself, silverhead, that told me that this was not possible.

I have a feeling I suggested the dry was through USB - so I guess I WAS innacurrate, but the principle was a wet/dry option that the 300 or 400 had over the 500, so I believe you could have corrected the details of my understanding rather than simply dismiss it.

In fact, now I recall, it was in the context of what the 500 could 'not' do in relation to the lesser models, so yes, I definately feel correction would have been more appropriatte, as it is exactly the fact that the 500 cant do this that you have stated here.

by silverhead on 2012-10-11 05:48:23

I'm sorry if my response in another thread offended you - it certainly wasn't intended to. And if I recall it properly, I did just offer a correction. The information you had provided, as I interpreted it, was incorrect so I simply wanted the community to have the correct information. I certainly wasn't trying to be (nor was I, I believe) dismissive. I do recall that the context of the thread in which I made my post was rather heated - and I said I didn't want to engage in any debate or difference of opinion - and I didn't - I simply stated a fact. Is it possible that you misinterpreted me in the heat of the rest of the thread?

I don't believe I said anything wasn't possible - I just pointed out that the HD Pro, alone among the HD models, provides a Dry Out feature directly. The other dual-path models (HD500 and Desktop) do have a contrived way of doing this, as you say.

As for the HD300/400  I was actually hoping you could find the reference you were looking for and let me know how to do it. Note that the above dual-output mode does not do it - both signals are wet (one wetter than the other) but they can be delivered to different outboard equipment.

On thinking about this further, the HD400 has an FX Loop that can be positioned PRE-amp, and the documentation says this is after FX1 and before FX2. So you could experiment with a preset that uses FX Loop in PRE, FX1 in POST (or not at all), and connect the HD400 FX Send to your DAW to recxord a 'dry' signal.It would still have undergone a A/D and subsequent D/A conversion, so some might not consider that truly dry. You might also have to place a dummy plug in the HD400 FX Return to activate the loop. But this setup might in fact do what you suggest.

However, it still does not meet the spirit of your original post because this can also be done with the HD500. The original discussion was, I believe,talking aboyut things the lesser HD models can do that the higher models can't.

Peace.

by spaceatl on 2012-10-11 08:41:10

Hmmm....I have an HD400 and an HD Bean. I am not a Vax user...I do like the HD400 and love using it with my DT25...However, I totally dig the HD Bean too...It is much like the HD500 and the control and chaining is on a completely different level from the HD400. I tend to think that if I were to move to using a Vax that I would jump to using an HDPro...I am a bit more of a fan of the shortboards than the all in one units...Mainly because I still have quite a few Line 6 amplifiers that support them...

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-11 15:40:38

Silverhead,

I believe the dry / wet scenario I had intended to allude to (which I have already accepted above is clearly NOT via USB) is the very one you listed in your previous post. I can only assume that having read references prior to owning the device, I had 'reinterpreted' the functionality im my head from being no cab/amp, to no processing at all. Having said all that, your point (and likely the functionality that I had originally noticed) still identifies a function that the 500 cannnot do, which at that point had not been listed in the thread:

Another advantage of the HD400 is its dual-output option. You can send a STUDIO tone (with cab/mic simulations) to a mixer/PA while also sending a Live tone (no cab/mic) to an amp. You can't do this with the HD500.

I too hope to track down the original references in case I am once again mistaken, and that in fact there was more to it, but

1. I feel it is likely the point you made does cover the issue, and

2. It takes me enough time to keep up with 'new' posts and info, let alone searching back through the old posts. However, I will persevere.

by guitarplayer0376 on 2012-10-11 16:08:17

Yes, it is worth it. I went from a 300 to the 500, big difference. Now I am not stuck with 4 effects blocks only, of which those are just the groups.............you have to choose between a comp/dirt box and an EQ???? That is crazy and nonsense. Also, the DEP for the actual Cabinets is a big help as well.

If you have the funds to upgrade to a Kemper or an AXE II, (whichever one would suit you best), I would do that over the upgrade to teh HD500. I just happened to buy another guitar at the spur of the moment, a 2012 special edition available for only a limited time, so my big effects budget was limited, otherwise I would have gotten a Kemper.

by silverhead on 2012-10-11 17:41:02

CairnsFella wrote:

....... Having said all that, your point (and likely the functionality that I had originally noticed) still identifies a function that the 500 cannnot do, which at that point had not been listed in the thread:

Very true. That is a big oversight with the dual-path Pod HDs (500/Desktop/Pro) in my opinion and that of many others. It has been talked about since the initial release and has been on the wishlist forever. Since it's not here yet, and there clearly is a user demand, I assume that there's some hardware restriction that makes it unlikely that it will ever be added as a new feature/function. But I hope I'm wrong about that.

by Stueyd on 2012-10-16 03:02:01

Well i've done it....

After a bit of negotiation I got a good deal (£270) on a nearly new one.

It looks brand new, not a mark on it and it's in all the original packaging. Gave it a "blast" before I took it away and casual test of the main features and buttons all seemed to work properly so hopefully i've got a good 'un.

Wow!

Despite reading up on all these units before I purchased, I didn't appreciate just how much more the 500 can do over the 400. I love the idea of the "setlists".

I had a little play with it last night and I can't wait to dive in properly and start getting my sounds.

by Stueyd on 2012-10-18 03:03:16

Wow!

I mean WOW !

What a difference.

Glad I made the move to the HD500.

There are a few negatives, like it's just not worth attempting to create new presets unless you've got your laptop plugged in (this was a lot easier on the 400), but overall it's a bigger and better beast than the 400.

The whole FX section is just so much nicer to use and so more versatile, I love the Variax compatability and the whole idea of "setlists" just is perfect for me.

Very happy.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.