These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD 500 with DT 25 head/speaker knobs for cabinet do nothing?
by svenhalen on 2012-10-12 12:49:59

HI all, bit of a nube, just got a HD 500 to compliment my DT 25. 
two things here, is it just me or when using any PRE amp the controls for the cabinet do nothing? I can move those things around and the do absolutley nothing.
I'm using the Stack output DT 25 with regular XLR cable.
As well, when using the TreadPlate amp, it sounds like absolute garbage. The Plexi 100 sounds awesome. I have to fiddle so much with the TreadPlate to get it sounding good. As a matter of fact, I have to fiddle with everything to get it sounding good. EVen the stock patches sound like crap...really thin. I've adjusted the Stack output to be Bass -> normal Treble -21
I also can run a small Fender Champ tube amp out of the Left output. It sounds a lot smoother than the DT 25 it just doesn't have enough volume.
I've watched fellows on YouTube get awesome sounds right away from the TreadPlate with no pedals and barely and adjusting. I have already taken back one HD 500 which sounded even worse than this one. THis one has a bit more bottom end than the first one.

I've reset the thing twice and gone through just about every setting on the planet.

Anyone else have this issue with really thin, buzzy sounding stock amps? the Uber shit....sounds HORRIBLE
there must be something I'm doing wrong with the setup. I have the first generation POD with the ROM Chip upgrade and that sounds 150% better so something is wrong here.

any help would be so appreciated from anyone who has a similiar setup and found issues at the start.

thanks.

Re: HD 500 with DT 25 head/speaker knobs for cabinet do nothing?
by phil_m on 2012-10-12 12:58:34

The output mode you want to use with the DT25 head connected via L6 Link is Stack Power Amp, not Stack Front. That is probably where most of your problem is.

by svenhalen on 2012-10-12 13:50:29

HI thanks, I have tried all combinations. Used Stack Poweramp although I read somewhere that this bypasses the amps tone controls or at least simluates that. Anyway, it doesn't make any difference to the tone. It's something else not that.

by svenhalen on 2012-10-13 06:32:43

so last night i tried plugging my pod directly into my mackie board and changed all the proper settings to work that way, this unit has no power i Had To turn the autenuation up quite high. again it sounded

like garbage. even the presets that i wrote that sound good on my dt 25 sounded fuzzy and thin.

the bogner amp was nothing but high end no bottom end at all. i thought these amp mods were supposed to have no high end?  something is very wrong here. either i have no clue or this is the second broke hd 500 in a row. i find that hard to believe. i have been using line six products since they made the flextone ll. i have the original kidney pod which walks all over this unit.

one more thing about plugging in direct.....the clean sounding amps all sound distorted

if anyone has any suggestions would be appreciated.

by leegoodrick on 2012-10-13 10:19:09

So were you using the pre-models when going directly into your mixer? It would be preferable to use full models and use the Studio/Direct output as it would lack power amp simulation by just using the pre-models.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-13 11:31:25

For direct to board.

1) Set the Line/Amp switch to Line

2) Connect both XLR's - XLR outputs don't sum to mono with one plugged in, so you're only getting half the signal using one.

3) Set the MASTER knob on the unit all the way up.  This is an analog gain stage controlling any analog output of the Pod.  You'll get the best signal to noise ratio by turning this all the way up.

4) Set the output mode to Studio/Direct.  Make sure to select a cab/mic, not "no cab".

5) Be wary of the VOLUME knob (Ch. Vol. in Edit).  Boosting this too much can clip the signal, either by maxing out the Pod's internal resolution, or by clipping sensitive effects like the Parametric or Mid Focus EQ's.

I'm not sure about the Pod to DT-25 issues, but I would definitely be sure to use the Line 6 link connection.  That should automatically select the correct output mode on the Pod.

The Treadplate is a strange beast.  I like to use a Line 6 Drive in front to filter out some bass and treble to smooth it out a bit.  Also, I find it sounds best with Drive cranked up pretty good - it's got a strange tone for crunch type gain.  Also, it has tons of bass - I like to filter that out down the chain with a Mid Focus or Parametric EQ.

Another suggestion is to set Input 1 to Guitar and Input 2 to Variax (or some other unused Input), but this has additional implications I'm not gonna get into here.  Here's a link to the appropriate page on my guide:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/setup

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-13 20:45:44

Set the MASTER knob on the unit all the way up

The only slight annoyance I have with this is that I use the POD as my audio interface too, and so other outputs from the PC are LOUD!!! Of course I can turn the amp down (and to be fair I havent finished toying around) but with the amp down I get les of a range from my guitar volume control.

As I say, minor, and not insurmountable... but I guess my warning here is, if you have your PC attached, watch out for sudden LOUD sounds.

by svenhalen on 2012-10-15 09:29:59

Thanks for the help. I will try that tonight for sure. I found it quite odd that the HD 500 had such little output as compared to the output of the original pod. I think that this is most of my issue that I continue to compare this new device to something that is so much older.

SO far I'm loving the tones I can get from the HD 500 and DT 25. However, i'm hoping that using the unit directly to the Mackie board will also give me that scope that I'm after, and that I also hear on so many Youtube videos (there are a lot of really great ones!!).

by svenhalen on 2012-10-15 09:35:16

HI thanks for your reply. I'm using the full amps and not the preamps. I only use the preamps when connecting the DT 25 with the AES/EBU cable throught the L6 Link

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-15 09:42:58

I believe right under the Expression Pedal slightly to the left those little switches have to be set  to the correct corresponding setting also (for the 1/4 Jacks there's an option of amp or line)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.