These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 Real-Time Monitoring in Reaper
by Cryptomancer on 2012-10-15 11:29:31

Hello guys, I would like to know how to monitor the sound of my POD HD500 in reaper so that I can apply any FX in the reaper and hear the combination of my POD HD500 sound and FX together in real time ?

Whenever I tick the record monitor on, I hear dublicated sound/reverb of the POD HD500's wet signal.

Sorry for burdening you guys, but I'm newbie in recording and mixing. So, I would like some assistance if you will.

Regards,

Re: POD HD500 Real-Time Monitoring in Reaper
by onanisland on 2012-10-15 11:39:33

If you are monitoring the hardware signal and the Reapers processed signal well then Reaper will have some latency due to roundtrip from ASIO/CoreAudio plus the processing for the FX plug-in you are using. This latency combined with the hardware signal will sound like reverb/chorus/delay effect somtimes due to the few MS between the two signals you are hearing at once. You can set your buffer lower within the Audio-MIDI panel so you can minimize this but it will depends on your PCs processing power as lower buffer means more work for the CPU/RAM.

-Justin

by Cryptomancer on 2012-10-15 11:53:12

I tried this, but the problem is still existing.. is there a way of muting the playback of the POD HD500 and hearing the reaper only ?

by onanisland on 2012-10-15 12:30:53

Yes - go to Line 6 Audio-MIDI program. Go to Input Recording. Turn down Hardware Monitor Level to none and be sure Recording Send Level is at full. When I use plug-ins like LePous stuff or Ignite Amps (both are free) I have my Hardware Monitor set to none, then I turn on recording moniting on the track I want to hear the processed sound with the plug-in.

Be sure to setup a clean signal path in your POD if you want a pure signal going into Reaper. Otherwise the signal will be whatever amps/effects/cab you have setup going right into Reaper plus the effects/plugins dialed into Reaper. This may or may not be what you want.

by Cryptomancer on 2012-10-16 10:11:26

I tried it, but now the problem is latency !

by PremiumJones on 2012-10-16 10:46:14

You will never get usable latncy with the USB interface. You can get it pretty close, but it will never be close enough to sound like its "real time" monitoring over USB.

My solution, although it is VERY unpopular here, is to ditch the USB interface altogether, and get a decent PCI audio interface. The one I use is is $90 new, and gets 2.9MS latency. I plug the POD into that, set my inputs in Reaper, and I can then add all the FX I want without increasing latency, and monitor the whole mess in (more or less) real time.

by Cryptomancer on 2012-10-16 10:52:50

Thanks for the tip. What is the name of PCI audio interface that you have bought?

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-16 10:53:44

Make sure you selected the proper ASIO driver. I do have another Audio interface, but I have to admit that the POD HD500 ASIO driver is very robust for a USB2 driver. Somtimes I use the HD into CUbase and I get a total of 10ms latency. That's the equivilant of being 10 ft away from the amp. IF you mute the other input, 10ms is something that I can live with. In the line 6 audio driver option, you need to lower your buffer settings etc to get low latency.

by Triryche on 2012-10-16 11:01:22

The latency you are hearing is from Reaper, that is the nature of trying to monitor plug-ins applied to real-time playing. It is very  dependent on your copmuter.

For instance, if you were to lay down a track in Reaper, then add a plug-in post processing, then monitor the playback via the HD's USB, the latency should be negligible.

by Cryptomancer on 2012-10-16 11:08:02

My computer has Core i5 and 4GB of RAM.

Is it right that if I use Cubase the latency will be less than in Reaper ?

by Triryche on 2012-10-16 11:25:31

Not necessarily. There are too many factors that are at play to boil it down to an OS, DAW and hardware specs.

I personally have not seen anybody do this successful with a PC.

I have seen this work on a Mac with Protools where the latency was acceptable.

by PremiumJones on 2012-10-16 12:04:57

Scavenger - I have the M-Audio Delta AP2496. It is about $90 from Musicians Friend or Newegg. I also use a little Behringer mixer (XENYX 802) the total cost for both was about $140.

Triryche - I do it all the time on a PC with the M-Audio interface. An OLD PC at that - running an Athlon 64, DDR2, etc. This rig is around 8 years old. Using any DAW, I get 2.9ms latency. That might as well be realtime.. it is close enough that I can multitrack without ever having to time shift, I can play along with backing tracks, etc without any noticable lag.

by Triryche on 2012-10-16 12:36:52

PremiumJones wrote:

Triryche - I do it all the time on a PC with the M-Audio interface. An OLD PC at that - running an Athlon 64, DDR2, etc. This rig is around 8 years old. Using any DAW, I get 2.9ms latency. That might as well be realtime.. it is close enough that I can multitrack without ever having to time shift, I can play along with backing tracks, etc without any noticable lag.

PremiumJones - Yeah, 2.9ms is definitely negligible. But what the OP is trying to do is add the POD Farm plug-in in real-time to the track while it is being recorded. So you have a track armed to record, with a PF plug-in applied to it, so you can audition the plug while playing your guitar. If this is what you are able to do, I will admit I am envious,(just a little, because it is not a deal breaker for me). I still can't do this.
My last build was similar to yours. My current build is a AMD Phenom II X 4 965 3.40 GHz with 8G of DDR3.

But I have no problem on this build (or my previous 2 builds) playing back several tracks, with multiple plugs, while recording. I just can't monitor plugs in real time on the track as it is being recorded and the plug rendered.

by PremiumJones on 2012-10-16 18:12:18

Yeah, it does pretty well even with several VSTs and multilpe tracks playing back while recording.

I have not used POD Farm in this way (not sure why you'd wanna run an HD into PF) but everything else I have used (mostly verbs and the occasional compressor) work fine as Plugs while using the HD into Reaper, and the latency never changes.

One wierd thing with this rig (that I havent seen before) is that once it does hit the limit, it just refuses to play. In Reaper tells me "audio system is offline". Take away an FX or two and it plays perfectly. O_o

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-17 23:04:33

In agreement here. I think PremiumJones is pretty lucky to be able to use multiple VST's and still be able to monitor at 2.9. I had a fairly decent set up until recently (Had to give up my new PC rig, as I needed to replace our work PC in a hurry). But still never got a massive latency reduction over my old (and once again current) system.

My 2 cents is not to even try what is being attempted. I probably wasted years and years trying to achieve various things when sequencing/recording on the computer. Even though I knew at the time I could do things a different way, I felt compelled to succeed in doing things the desired or 'optimal' way. However, had I conceded in the first place I would have had 10 times as much done.

In practice, what I am suggesting is if you want to add effects after, just record dry (or with the effects from the HD you know you want) and monitor direct from the HD (The way your question is written, it seems almost as though you want to 'experiment' with the effects combinations, which you can easily do once youve laid the track down)....... Or even forget Pod Farm and just keep experimenting with the HD. I'd be surprised if you've exhausted the combinations available from the HD on its own.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.