These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Mixed Feelings About the Update
by RipperShred on 2012-10-16 16:15:00

Firstly, the upside; I love the SLO crunch and lead channels. I just put together a killer patch using both in stereo and with some EQing got a good 5150-esque tone happening. Dabbled with the other models, but I was really interested in the SLO, and got out of it what I wanted from it.

The downside/mixed-feelings comes with the fact that it took 3 months after the 300/400 launch, and all there is to show for that is some FRFR functionality on some in-house monitors line6 would like to push that nobody was asking for (or if they were, I totally missed the boat because it's out of left field to me.) I thought we'd get some new and interesting models, like the 300/400 did, or at the very least some improvements on the EQ section. But nadda.

My purely-specalative-theory is, like the 300/400 update with added models was a push to move more low-end product, especially with the early christmas shopping season, this is another marketing ploy to bundle the associated gear. I get the business sense of it, but I still have mixed feelings because I waited 3 months get something that could have been prep'd in a 3rd of the time.

I use the pro as preamp/FX unit into a real poweramp, into real cabs, so there is no added functionality to help justify what now seems like an unreasonable amount of time I waited for it.

For the silent majority ( which I'll give the benifit of the doubt that they actually exist) I'm sure they're super stoked to get the line6 FRFR compatibility, but for the rest of us there wasn't any reason not to drop the already-existing-and-unchanging model package 2 months ago and for the FRFR functionality to be saved for a later update.

This to me only adds credence to my marketing theory.

Now let's see who agrees/disagrees with me.

Re: Mixed Feelings About the Update
by TheRealZap on 2012-10-16 17:07:08

you gotta also think... maybe they learned their lesson, and want to keep all the amp models the same across the board now...

or else the 3/400 users would be complaining as well...

i would guess that the units will get updated at the same time from now on...

and that's based on no special information whatsoever...

but what started out as a sorry to the 3/400 users for the wait... turned into a slap in the face for 500/pro/bean users...

i doubt they'd want to repeat that.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-16 17:21:34

RipperShred wrote:

The downside/mixed-feelings comes with the fact that it took 3 months after the 300/400 launch, and all there is to show for that is some FRFR functionality on some in-house monitors line6 would like to push that nobody was asking for

My purely-specalative-theory is, like the 300/400 update with added models was a push to move more low-end product

Regarding the FRFR solution, LOTS of people have been asking over the years for Line6 to come out with FRFR amplification for the PODs.  That said, I don't see the StageScape stuff as the answer to that.  I'm as baffled as you are.  We're just not the target market for it.

About your theory, it's doubtful.  There was less to get ready for the 300/400, that build was done first, there were resource constraints, and it just took longer to get fully tested and out the door.  You think, by looking at just the update, that it's simple.  Think again.  You have how many other devices that integrate with the 500?  The JTV, DT50, and StageScape.  Then you have to also think about the Pro and the Bean.  Two more devices with different builds.  There was a lot more going on under the hood.

Still took too darn long though.  But the conspiracy theories about wanting to sell more 300's and 400's are just unfounded.

by daferalo on 2012-10-16 18:07:55

Karl_Houseknecht escribió:

Regarding the FRFR solution, LOTS of people have been asking over the years for Line6 to come out with FRFR amplification for the PODs.  That said, I don't see the StageScape stuff as the answer to that.  I'm as baffled as you are.  We're just not the target market for it.

Hi Karl,

Have you tried the stagescape solutions with pod HD products? How do you describe the experience, specially with the new pod hd update? Could you please tell us the reason behind your thought?

Thanks in advance. I would like to hear your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Daf

by meambobbo on 2012-10-16 18:50:59

i slightly agree with your logic, but I think we should be used to the delays by now.  the 300/400 release date was just an anchor.  if there were no 300/400 and we didn't know the update was in the pipe, we wouldn't have any impatience frustration.

...but more to the point.  there's a huge problem with the main amp model in this update, the SLO Overdrive.  It's a HUGE DSP hog.  I calculate it consumes between 4-8% MORE DSP than the other high gain amps.  I was hoping to use this amp model for some lead tones, but even on my least expensive DSP patches, where I could previously fit Delay + Reverb, now I cannot fit a Reverb if I remove Delay, so I can only use Delay.  (I am using "dual cabs" which is why I'm so limited in what effects I can use).

by tdollaway on 2012-10-16 18:58:30

I ran into the same thing. It sounds great with the Treadplate/57 on axis and XXL/409 (my favorite combo BTW), but that's about all you get if you add a delay. May have to use a single amp patch for leads if I need more than just a delay.

Great overall rock tone though. Nice and spongey!!!

by meambobbo on 2012-10-16 19:43:09

I have found a good patch for this - will post later.  I use Treadplate/57 on aixs + Greenbacks/121.  I put an FX Loop on the channel with the Greenbacks/121, and just run a patch cable between send receive.  This syncs up the two channels, so the sound is tight and has a full frequency response.

For effects, I have a Noise Gate, Line 6 Drive, Digital Delay, and Mid-Focus EQ.  To simulate Reverb, I use 20% E.R. on the Greenbacks/121 and 15% E.R. on the Tread/57 on axis.

by spaceatl on 2012-10-16 19:43:28

+1...firmware is not java...I call it constipational coding...

by maqaf1 on 2012-10-16 20:03:29

The Good: Finally have the SLO back!

The Very Bad: No EQ fixes.

by RipperShred on 2012-10-16 20:07:53

Alright, if the insiders say it's way more complicated a process than I'd think it is, porting from one like-hardware platform to the other, I'll concede my conspiracy theory for now. I'll still keep hoping for my 5 band parametric with fully adjustable bandwidth and frequency selection, and for a true 5150II, Mark IV & IIC+ and JCM900 in the next update, however far off in the future that may be.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-16 20:33:06

http://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/vai-slo

">http://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/vai-slo">http://soundcloud.com/meambobbo/vai-slo

by spaceatl on 2012-10-16 20:37:01

hint...Tweak your HD500....Go tweak an HD300/400...Then go tweak an SV MK2....Then go back to your HD500......

I would stand up, but only when the black helicopters stop flying over my house...

What I can say now is that the SLO models, IMHO, are the very best models Line 6 has ever produced...I have been using them for a while and I have hardly used anything else since they were made available to me...The SLO clean is amazing to me...I think it's the best clean model in the box now...These models have staying power...

by RipperShred on 2012-10-16 20:43:14

I totally agree. Love'em. Couldn't be happier with my new patches. But that doesn't really answer my question; I'm just asking if they were the culprit behind everything taking so long, i.e. destablizing the pro/bean/500 platforms to the point where it required 3 months of additional tweaking to get them platform ready, or were other factors such as new functionality intregration to blame. Were the models really buggy during the testing, or was it something else?

by spaceatl on 2012-10-16 21:02:39

SLO models? nah...Those rocked from day 1...

I could not presume to answer that...Only Line 6 can....

the black helicopters compel me

by cgtrox on 2012-10-16 21:06:33

I'm gonna have to agree with karl on this one. Remember how many OTHER products the Pro, 500 and bean have to interact with? You HAVE to write code for those scenarios and their pitfalls! I also wish they could have upped the EQ's but hey, I GOT MY SLO!!!!

cgtrox

by RipperShred on 2012-10-16 21:12:19

lol, so I guess that's as close to vindication as I'll get I suppose. Well, if the models didn't f*** up the system and were operational from day 1, then logically.... (men-in-black kick down the door and drag me off) *yelling as they pull me from my home* But you don't understand! If the models worked why was it dela... . ...... ..

by RipperShred on 2012-10-16 21:16:14

I concur; I'm stoked about my SLO. Still, couldn't hurt to keep advocating for my very short wishlist, though.

by cgtrox on 2012-10-16 21:33:07

Most definitely! That's what makes this company great to me, they listen to you!

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2012-10-16 21:59:50

I will venture a guess...and it is nothing more than a guess...

I have a little bit of experience as a firmware developer (smart cards on 8051)...My experience is nothing compared to the complexity that Line 6 does these days, but at the time we did outsource manufacturing of some of our embedded controllers as OEM done in fairly large quantities for certain companies and supported boards in the field as well...Back then we burned sent out EPROM chips to support the updates. There were times when we would have a slight parts revision to the BOM for a board...Just an availability issue for certain regulator types, caps, resistors etc...No change to how the board functioned hardware wise, but we would have to come up with a firmware update that would support both the functional update needed at the time to the firmware and non-functional changes to the firmware support the BOM change so that the firmware would support both the legacy boards in the field with the updated functionality and the updated board with the slight parts change...This is just a reality of electronics manufacturing. There would be a period of time of more than several weeks where the old BOM stock would be on a run out and we had to logistically time the move to the next release...Sometimes there would be delay getting beta updated boards to verify that the changes would work as expect on both revisions of the hardware and releasing it to manufacturing and to the feild for the legacy revision. You can get yourself into a real snit timing that incorrectly...Tweaking, timing and re-verifying...It's a hell of a game...I just worked with companies within the USA then...I could not imagine dealing with that on the scale and complexity Line 6 does...

Karl's point is a very good one I think...That is a good deal of complexity with the HD500, Pro, bean, Vax, DT amps, soundscape, drivers, Edit and Monkey all working together...Perhaps this delay might just have been a purely logistical one?

by sidysm on 2012-10-17 00:30:41

Yeah I found it a bit anti climactic, I wasn't really expecting anything new as such but would have liked to have seen some improvements/fixes such as eq in hz, epression pedal to control loop volume, control jtv volume from pod, mix control on the phasers. These along with several other peculiarities are things that people have had issue with since realease and whilst not really bugs they should be resolved before adding stagescape functionality which I don't see many people clamoring for either. I get line6 want all there range supported but I think this should have been forked seperately for those that have already heavily invested in the dream rig as their ecosystem.

All in though the new models are amazing, I too genuinely feel they are the best in the box and we can get more amps of this calibre I'll gladly pay for expansion packs to get them. I would love to see a matchless, a shiva , a 5153 and a herbert to start off, though I can probably live with the slo for most my lead stuff now.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-10-17 03:27:43

sidysm wrote:

... I wasn't really expecting anything new as such but would have liked to have seen some improvements/fixes such as eq in hz...

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on the EQs.  That's the way they've been in the M13 for years and nothing's been done to change them.

Cheers,

Crusty

by satch4u4 on 2012-10-17 05:04:15

I haven't tried the firmware yet but I was really expecting/hoping for an update on the midi capabilities of the HD 500/Pro.

by lowyaw on 2012-10-17 05:23:16

i believe they've done the right thing for the company.

they have a product to market - those frfr speakers - and they need to sell them, and in order to sell, they have "show how to do it", in layman terms. the very concept is perfectly usable. and yes, it's a feature that was unavailable previously.  i also think that the time they took before relesing 2.1 for HD500 was to push more 300/400 into players hands and to finalize the FRFR speaker compatibility.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-17 05:51:49

RipperShred wrote:

I'll still keep hoping for my 5 band parametric with fully adjustable bandwidth and frequency selection

Me too!  Give me that and get rid of the rest of the EQ models.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-17 06:05:25

daferalo wrote:

Hi Karl,

Have you tried the stagescape solutions with pod HD products? How do you describe the experience, specially with the new pod hd update? Could you please tell us the reason behind your thought?

Nope, I haven't tried them.  What I was trying to say was that, while there has been a lot of clamor in the past for Line6 to come out with FRFR amplification for the POD, the StageScape speakers were probably not Line6's answer to that request, but instead, they mostly represent a whole different product line aimed at a different market segment.

I don't know.  For me to spend $900-$1000 on an FRFR solution rather than spend $500-$800 on what's already out there on the market for a monitoring solution, it had better offer distinct advantages.  L6 Link is cool.  Not sure it warrants the additional cost or the need for proprietary hardware when any number of companies are selling any number of FRFR monitors.  Plus...34" wide?  Seems a little unwieldy to me.

Still, I'm willing to give them a shot and see how they do.  But I can't imagine them being leaps and bounds better than smaller, less complex, and less expensive options.

by RipperShred on 2012-10-17 08:07:57

Is there a lot of whinging? F***, All I said was I had mixed feelings about it. If anyone remembers I was one the first to jump to lin6's rescue and to tell people to calm the f*** down and that line6 would make it all right, and if memory serves me we got an official " don't worry, it's not going to take nearly as long as the 300/400 update" and a "don't worry, soon" very shortly thereafter the 300/400 firmware drop.

Then days turned into weeks, and weeks into months, and logically you start thinking "well, if the 300/400 got delayed and look at the fun additions they added onto it were XYZ, then maybe it seems reasonable that we'll get ABC."

Cue firmware drop, and the big reveal IS..... FRFR functionality that comes out of left field that no one really saw comming. So ya, I have mixed feelings over it; Thinking "alright, we get a taste of what the 300/400 owners felt waiting, but we'll probably get the same tast of consolation when the firmware drops" and we didn't. Meh. It is what it is, and I feel the way I feel; happy with the models, but a victim of hype - hype of expectations set by the last firmware drop, and my own logic from extrapolating that line6 would continue that trend. Again, meh.

I didn't lose any sleep last night over it, and I've been enjoying models for the last 24hrs. I never said I was unhappy with what I got, just implying throughout that I'm not thrilled, maybe even a little boggled that it took as long as it did.

So please retract your tissue box, melodramatic diatribes, and feel free to call the authorities back up and remove me from suicide watch; I'm quite alright! hahahaha!

Next time I'll be sure to gush like a teenage girl at a justin bieber concert regardless, so I don't have to read all the "whiner" posts that enevitably surface when someone puts something out there that isn't fanboyism.

(writer's note; this is directed at everybody who feels the need to pipe into every thread that isn't unanamously singing line6 praises. Remember, I'm happy with the models, and just feel ambivalent about 3 months of waiting and FRFR functinality to show for it.)

by RipperShred on 2012-10-17 08:19:09

Ya, totally, like I said I understand the business sense of it, just not super excited that THAT was our patience-perk, our "5 new models", know what I mean?

by daferalo on 2012-10-17 08:29:04

Karl_Houseknecht escribió:

Nope, I haven't tried them.  What I was trying to say was that, while there has been a lot of clamor in the past for Line6 to come out with FRFR amplification for the POD, the StageScape speakers were probably not Line6's answer to that request, but instead, they mostly represent a whole different product line aimed at a different market segment.

I don't know.  For me to spend $900-$1000 on an FRFR solution rather than spend $500-$800 on what's already out there on the market for a monitoring solution, it had better offer distinct advantages.  L6 Link is cool.  Not sure it warrants the additional cost or the need for proprietary hardware when any number of companies are selling any number of FRFR monitors.  Plus...34" wide?  Seems a little unwieldy to me.

Still, I'm willing to give them a shot and see how they do.  But I can't imagine them being leaps and bounds better than smaller, less complex, and less expensive options.

Ah, I can see your point Karl, thank you very much for the reply. I agree with you, now that you enligthen it. It makes sense. Anyway, I also think that it might be worth to give it a try to see how it performes. Although, if you asked me, I prefer the interaction with a real tube amplifier, as happens with the DT 25 amp through the L6 link.

Best Regards,

Daf

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-17 08:30:26

don't sweat it... I don't think there is any problem with your wants etc... we all want feature "x"

the amps models were pretty much the expectation and they delivered that.

you're dissapointment (as i understand it) was that they didn't deliver the unexpected/desired.

and i think there's plenty of room for dissapointment there.

by RipperShred on 2012-10-17 08:42:30

No sweat dude. I'm as much a victim of my own imagination as anything else. As I said in my last post; it was a perfect storm of circumstances that allowed for said imagination to create expectation. Which is why I'm not rippin' Line6 a new arsehole - just expressing my ambivalence toward the fact that they decided to break the leapfrog pattern here, and not in the next update - that we didn't get any interesting waiting/patience bonuses like the 300/400 crowd, and that the wait time doesn't seem to match up with what is now on offer.

That we didn't get any cool perks is totally understandable - they don't want the same sh*tstorm happening with every firmware drop - but people shouldn't get all up-in-arms with rants of righteous indignation when someone like myself expresses it and puts their ambivalence out there about it. Expressing opinions with at least a little articulation and whining are two very different things.

Ironically, the anti-whining posts are the most whiny - whining about whiners is the worst! hahahaha!

by gunpointmetal on 2012-10-17 10:02:22

IMO...they overshot the intended market with StageSource Stuff...sorry L6 you can't charge QSC money on no reputation, and you certainly shouldn't expect  people who are often looking at your products to SAVE MONEY over the competition to spend $300-$700 on a processor then spend 2-3 times that on amplification.....if I wanted to run a full FRFR stereo rig for HD500 that would cost me over $2000 just for the speakers.....something like that Jet City FR guitar cab would have been a better idea, at least to start off with.

by phil_m on 2012-10-17 10:09:43

I'm sure the average POD user is not the target audience for the StageSource speakers. They are offering something in the way of integration for people who want to use both, but I really see the StageSource stuff and the guitar-oriented products as two almost completely separate markets. It's cool there's some amount of integration. There are guitarists who buy PA systems, and this might give them some extra incentive to look at the Line 6 PA stuff. It could be a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

by gunpointmetal on 2012-10-17 11:08:26

if its two different markets, why waste time on update stuff for StageSource integration when the users obviously were more interested in functional EQ fixes and better DSP management? Seems to me more like the Apple approach.....We'll give you lots of stuff that works with other stuff, but if you want all the features, you have to buy in-house. I don't personally know any guitar players running FRFR even though most use some sort of digital modeler, and even less that would spend that kind of scratch when there are road-tested items for less from manufacturers with reputations in this kind of thing. Maybe there should be some consideration for the middle of the road/low-end market with smaller speakers, a smaller format mixer, or something designed specifically for the FRFR needs of guitarists that would be at a reasonable price.

But hey....at least we got our SLO!

by meambobbo on 2012-10-17 11:32:24

They need to offer something in the Alto price range to have a winner IMO.

by wetredbox on 2012-10-17 11:56:32

I, for one, do not expect to see any more updates.  At all.  It seems to me that since it takes many months to make an update that includes support for new Line 6 products and a modeled amp with no improvement on any of the effects or internal routing, that they are done.  It's fine i guess except the distortions still suck, the eq bands are shown in percent and when you drag an effect to relocate it, it does not change it's location anywhere else. 

There are quite  a few very logical requests for changes that people have made.  Users of the product they purchased.  I see them ignored

so, although the unit is a very good  $450 effects/modeling box, I don't expect anything more from them.  sad, but for the price, what else can we expect?

I'm sure Line 6 is more than happy to move on

by phil_m on 2012-10-17 11:57:25

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with smaller versions of the PA speakers at some point, but who knows?

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-18 01:30:59

phil_m wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with smaller versions of the PA speakers at some point, but who knows?

This would make sense to me.

As I recently questioned in another post, the way I see the HD, as much as it 'caters' for a variety of implementations, the principle seems to demand FRFR output/monitoring. It may not be there quite yet for many users, but I cant see sims being as close to perfect as they can be without the almost literal 'level playing field' that FRFR provides.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-10-18 03:07:48

The POD HD is the first POD that I have used with amplification other than FRFR.  This is only due to the DT amps and matching the modelled PREs to the analogue power amps.  If I use the full models then FRFR is my preference.  But using the PREs with the DT amps is just absolutely amazing.

Cheers,

Crusty

P.S. I'm flying up to Cairns tomorrow.

by medievil1 on 2012-10-18 03:12:56

funny I expect there will be plenty of updates... I suspect the delays may have more to do with staffing and workload rather than effort...line 6 has a lot of products that ALL need programing...I would imagine the workload is tremendous and they'd have trouble keeping competent programming staff (workload and stress being factors)..last tiem I looked they had multiple programming job positions open so...my opinion of course

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-10-18 03:19:34

RipperShred wrote:

I'm as much a victim of my own imagination as anything else. As I said in my last post; it was a perfect storm of circumstances that allowed for said imagination to create expectation.

This happens quite a bit on this site, but you are the first person I've seen recognise and acknowledge it.

Some of the lads whip themselves up into a real frenzy then implode when reality shortchanges their imagination.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-10-18 03:24:34

Karl_Houseknecht wrote:

RipperShred wrote:

I'll still keep hoping for my 5 band parametric with fully adjustable bandwidth and frequency selection

Me too!  Give me that and get rid of the rest of the EQ models.

Count me in too.  I'd crawl a thousand miles over broken glass for such an EQ (with freq in Hz and gain in db) and allow the range to go up to at least 10kHz for acoustic guitar and vocal timbre.

Cheers,

Crusty

by rpinon69 on 2012-10-18 19:28:22

Hello meambobbo

Sorry if I missed it previous threads but could you more specfically explain on how your using the patch cable and with what gear while using the SLO patch you posted.

Thanks

by spikey on 2012-10-18 19:44:30

phil_m wrote:

I'm sure the average POD user is not the target audience for the StageSource speakers. They are offering something in the way of integration for people who want to use both, but I really see the StageSource stuff and the guitar-oriented products as two almost completely separate markets. It's cool there's some amount of integration. There are guitarists who buy PA systems, and this might give them some extra incentive to look at the Line 6 PA stuff. It could be a way to kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Id rather save for another Variax, perhaps a 59 this time...

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-23 03:01:27

Crusty,

Yeah, I took the DT's on board in my comment in the other thread which was a tad more extensive, but essentially I acknowledged the line 6 gear 'designed' to work with the HD would be an exception to my personal theory.

Hope you are having / had a great time in Cairns. What brings you this way? Not performing by any chance?

Edit:

Didnt actually realise you are from QLD. Guess you will have seen the allansbillyhyde clearance. Pretty good prices on Line6 gear (not as good as the percentage discount suggests, but not bad nonetheless)

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-10-23 04:05:31

Just up for a short holiday, fly home tomorrow.  Yeah, saw the Billy Hyde sale but have all the gear I need.  I can think of plenty of stuff I'd like to have, but I'd have nowhere to live.  

I'd like to know more about the health of Music Link, I believe it's okay, I think it was just the Billy Hyde retail chain that went under.

Cheers,

Crusty

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-23 21:02:14

I was not really aware of Music Link (If Im honest, the HD was the first major purchase I had made in many years, so Im not that aware of many of the major outlets. Most of my gear is pretty old)

But, as you mentioned it, I had a look. Whilst there is no explicit mention that I can find of Music Link's situation, if you look on the BillyHyde site under the car sale section, you will note vehicles for sale from several music link locations!! I dont wish to make assumptions from that, but it isnt a good sign.

by JTSC777 on 2012-10-26 08:31:29

When Roland/ Boss rolls a guitar processor off the line they feel it's perfect and do not care about improvements-updates for the end user.They don't offer them. My HD 300 is so much better than anything I have had peviously(VG-8-GT-8-RP2000 etc...) it isn't even funny. Currently I am using Rolands GR55 and Line 6 POD HD300 units together and it's amazing. Go back to pedals and a tube amp for a while and what Line 6 is doing for us will be more appreciated. Updates and firmware etc... are just gravy to me. Of course I tend to practice and play out more than worry about this stuff. I for one am very grateful for everything that is available these days from all these companies.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.