These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 looper mod bright ideas
by CaptainU on 2012-10-17 13:00:19

Hi all,

I've read all the discussion/advice on the problems I have accidentally engaging the HD500 looper in live situations. The 'hold4looper' function is definitely NOT part of the HD500 (unlike the 400) although I've suggested it in an update (don't hold your breath). And official Line6 support cannot help.

So my question is does anyone have any bright ideas on how to prevent my inaccurate size 9' boots catching the looper button on a dark stage whilst in mid-riff!

Answers ranging from clever software mods to sticky tape welcomed!

Re: HD500 looper mod bright ideas
by phil_m on 2012-10-17 13:06:57

It's kind clunky and definitely low tech tech, but you could set something like the lid of spray paint can (needs to be something a little smaller, but I'm not sure what the perfect size would be) over the switch. It could be held in place with velco if necessary.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-17 13:28:33

best answers are to put a shaving can cap over it taped or glued to your pod, or to open up the unit and remove the piece of the footswitch that contacts the board or put something like rubber or cardboard between the contact and switch.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-18 01:42:33

May sound a little daft (as its really a pre-drawing board idea, rather than a fully fledged solution), but maybe fashioning some sort of collar that can clip around the switch to precent it being depressed.

Now I think about it, though slightly more destructive, but I think do-able, would be to drill a small hole through the stem of the button, where you could put a nail, or split pin through, to lock the button.

And my final idea. Modify your controllers patches etc, so that the switches neared the looper are never used mid song.

by CaptainU on 2012-10-19 07:21:01

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I've got what seems to be a very workable solution so far. A fairly wide elastic band looped around a few times so it's tight around the stem between the footswitch cap and switch body. This gives enough resistance so the switch doesn't get depressed accidentally when going for FS4 or if slipping off the expression pedal (which, unbelievably, I did three times in my first gig with this unit). It does, however, still allow me to use the looper switch at any time by giving it a definite firm push down with the foot.

Anyone doing the same will maybe need to experiment with elastic bands and/or number of loops to get the required effect.

I think I'll get / make a small rubber collar which would fit snugly as a more permanent fix (but now it's sorted I'll probably just end up leaving it!).

IMG_20121019_151159.jpg

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-23 03:17:09

Glad you got it sorted. Seems akin to my collar suggestion

Be interested to know how it stands up over time (youll probably need to schedule rubber band servicing)

by CaptainU on 2012-10-23 03:37:32

CairnsFella wrote:

(youll probably need to schedule rubber band servicing)

You're right. One more thing to keep in my gig bag of 'emergency spare stuff'!

I was trying to follow your 'collar' idea with a nylon spring clip of some sort but then it dawned on me that with stiff rubber I could actually keep the function AND prevent the 'accidental' problem.

Worked a treat at the gig over the weekend - my problem now is to make the toe switch a little easier!! It takes massive effort sometimes!

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-24 00:52:35

CaptainU wrote:

Worked a treat at the gig over the weekend - my problem now is to make the toe switch a little easier!! It takes massive effort sometimes!

You mean on the expression pedal? If so, I agree. I cant believe how bloody stiff it is. And I also find that the 'click' for want of a better word, seems to vary like its more of a crunch and makes me feel like Im crushing the board underneath.

In fairness though, I dont use it a great deal, so perhaps over time it will become a little more pliable.

by CaptainU on 2012-10-24 02:31:05

CairnsFella wrote:

And I also find that the 'click' for want of a better word, seems to vary like its more of a crunch and makes me feel like Im crushing the board underneath.

I had exactly the same issue. Really disconcerting crunch and clank sound when pushing the pedal switch. Dismantled the pedal (just remove the main pivot bolt and be careful to catch the washers/nuts) and saw had been assembled wrongly. One of the washers was in the wrong place - inside the pedal instead of outside next to the nut.

If yours is the same you might want to check this. Make sure the nylon bushings which go through the pivot hole are seated correctly and then make sure the washers are outside of the pedal between it and the nut/bolt at either end.

I also have my pedal fairly tight so it only moves with foot pressure. No problems since and it's lovely & smooth.

by CairnsFella on 2012-10-26 17:13:50

I may be brave enough to try this (indeed I probably should given the potential issue you have experienced) Im just a little scared to touch the unit.

I am not saying that there is a massively high problem rate, but with what problems I have read I am careful not to even move my HD (its home studio use only), or even unplug the USB (because of the socket problems mentioned elsewhere). Its my own fault really, as I purchased an overseas unit, so the warrant counts for nothing, and I am paranoid about failure.

Frustratingly, a local retail chain has recently announced closure, and is clearing out stock including the HD's, so the 40% discount brings the unot close to what I paid. . Still, I accept its always a gamble taking such a route.

Sorry for my digression.

by ponyboi on 2012-10-29 15:44:09

Wow ... I thought I was the only one with this problem.

I just routed and cut a small piece of wood to cover the switch.

I also taped BIG numbers to the pedalboard which help seeing the buttons on stage.

These both helped me alot.

by soundog on 2012-11-05 12:08:15

The best and simplest solution would be for Line6 to provide users with the ability to turn off the Looper Mode. In my case, I use footswitches for MIDI control, and it would be great to be able to use the LOOPER footswitch as a MIDI controller without the Looper turning on. For other folks, it would allow you to disable the looper function so you don't have to use rubber bands, duct tape, or other kludges to get what you want.

Line6 could also provide this for the TAP button, for those who would prefer not to use the Tap function, but would like to use the switch as a controller.

Please use the official Line6 feedback form to request that this be included in a future firmeware update.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.