These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 newbie questions
by PRSGuy on 2012-10-18 12:55:37

Hi,

I just picked up a HD500 and I have been pouring over the manual ( I haven't received it yet ). There are a couple things that are unclear to me...any help is appreciated.

1. Is the LCD bright enough / large enough print for live applications? It seems that depending on the view it would be difficult to see on stage.

2. Can you via the footswitches change setlists? I play in a band where we call alternate tune selections often depending on the crowd reaction, so not having to bend down and push buttons would be ideal.

3. There is much talk on this forum that get consistent volumes across patches is difficult. I would assume all I need to do is run the output of the HD500 into a mixer and verify the PFL level is consistent across patches. So the trick is to set the amp volume output consistently across patches to make this happen. Is this thinking correct?

4, I currently run the output of my older pedal board instrument level into a quality DI box with very good results. Are the XLR outputs nice sounding? I'll be going direct to the board.

5. I am confused on the input impedence setting. Is this the impedence of the guitar output to the HD500 or is this the first thing in the signal chain? Why not always use "auto"?

6. This is strictly for live applications...is this a great gigging board? There seems to be a great deal of people recording with these but what about live??? comments appreciated!

Thanks, that's it for now. This forum is exceptional...very active and outstanding info!

Thanks,

Rick

Re: HD500 newbie questions
by hurghanico on 2012-10-18 15:24:23

1. Is the LCD bright enough / large enough print for live applications? It seems that depending on the view it would be difficult to see on stage.

yes, there is a "Big User View"

2. Can you via the footswitches change setlists? I play in a band where we call alternate tune selections often depending on the crowd reaction, so not having to bend down and push buttons would be ideal.

no, you can change patches and banks

3. There is much talk on this forum that get consistent volumes across patches is difficult. I would assume all I need to do is run the output of the HD500 into a mixer and verify the PFL level is consistent across patches. So the trick is to set the amp volume output consistently across patches to make this happen. Is this thinking correct?

yes

4, I currently run the output of my older pedal board instrument level into a quality DI box with very good results. Are the XLR outputs nice sounding? I'll be going direct to the board.

yes

5. I am confused on the input impedence setting. Is this the impedence of the guitar output to the HD500 or is this the first thing in the signal chain? Why not always use "auto"?

...first block in the chain... "auto" is a good choice

6. This is strictly for live applications...is this a great gigging board? There seems to be a great deal of people recording with these but what about live??? comments appreciated!

...very good for live gigging!

7. But is true that also makes coffee?

maybe, but you have to check the manual to find out

Thanks, that's it for now...

to serve you, always at your disposal

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-18 16:08:29

to serve you, always at your disposal

Now if you had a smile instead of the plain face, this would have qualified as world class service. You still deserve the 6 points because you have the correct answer/s.

by PRSGuy on 2012-10-18 16:47:44
Thanks hurghanico!

I love the added coffee reference...made me laugh!

by hurghanico on 2012-10-18 17:59:48

it seemed to me the best suited face for a butler..

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-10-18 19:45:42

Wow you get another right answer, not only that it's also funny .

by ozbadman on 2012-10-18 20:01:48

From what I recall, "auto" selects the input impedance normally associated with the amp selected. You might want to change this if you want to use a different impedance due to your guitar, or simply to get a different sound. "Auto" is for faithful reproduction of the original amp input impedance.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.