These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 Looper accidentally engage - Solution
by CaptainU on 2012-10-19 07:42:28

I've posted this from an earlier post as a separate discussion as it should make it easier to find for anyone searching for this specific problem...

If, like me, you've read all the discussion/advice on the problems of accidentally engaging the HD500 looper in live situations (which, unbelievably, I did three times in my first gig with this unit) but can't find a solution then I hope this helps.

Unfortunately, for some reason, the 'hold4looper' function is definitely NOT part of the HD500 (unlike the 400) although I've suggested it in an update (don't hold your breath). And official Line6 support couldn't help.

So the challenge was how to prevent my clumsy size 9' boots catching the looper button on a dark stage whilst going for FS4 or the Expression Pedal mid-riff!

Rather than disabling it or rendering it unusable I still wanted to be able to have it as a feature. I've got what seems to be a very workable solution so far. A fairly wide elastic band looped around a few times so it's tight around the stem between the footswitch cap and switch body (see picture). This gives enough resistance so the switch doesn't get depressed accidentally when going for FS4 or if slipping off the expression pedal. It does, however, still allow me to use the looper switch at any time by giving it a definite firm push down with the foot (pretty much like the Exp Toe Switch pressure).

Anyone doing the same will maybe need to experiment with elastic bands and/or number of loops to get the required effect.

I think I'll get / make a small flexible rubber collar which would fit snugly as a more permanent fix (but TBH now it's sorted I'll probably just end up leaving it!).

Anyone with a more elegant but equally usable solution please chip in!

IMG_20121019_151159.jpg

Re: POD HD500 Looper accidentally engage - Solution
by hurghanico on 2012-10-19 10:30:24

+1

hard to find an idea better than yours

by meambobbo on 2012-10-19 10:46:13

SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE.  good idea!

by Astaroth_CY on 2012-10-19 12:23:52

Fantastic, just in time for my gig tomorrow.

by TheRealZap on 2012-10-19 12:33:21

just a note for any random readers... the hd300/hd400 has a setting in the menu to enable "hold for looper" the looper switch on those switches from 3 modes typically...

preset,fx on/off, and looper. enabling the hold for looper option means it typically will switch from preset and fx on/off, requiring a long press to turn on the looper... a great little feature.

i realize it doesn't help here... but thought someone may find that useful.

by thoro on 2012-10-19 15:18:59

Great solution... had the same problem with my HD 500 and just applied your fix.

by bmoyer on 2012-10-19 16:05:43

GREAT solution.  Thank you - I too have stomped on this in live situations, and now no longer will.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-10-19 17:32:58

How about Grolsch Bottle 'washers' ... the same solution that people use fo guitar straplocks?   http://www.couchguitarstraps.com/blog/?p=3

by jimsreynolds on 2012-10-19 17:38:10

Or maybe ... 517158_clothes_peg.jpg

by CaptainU on 2012-10-20 02:43:30

Much rather enjoy a bottle of Grolsch to solve it than do the laundry!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.