These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Now I really feel foolish! What should I do next?
by guitar4u on 2012-10-19 21:38:18

In 2011, I bought a JTV59. I had some serious quality issues with it, sent it in to Line 6 RMA for repair, got it back and it still had problems, so I traded it in. Eventually, I got a JTV69 replacment, had issues with it, sent it in to Line 6 RMA for repair (see message below), still have the same problems with it now and I'm at a loss for what to do next. I will either have to live with its flaws as-is or sell it, which seems unethical considering the problems it has.

Could you give me some advise on what I should do? Can I sell it in good faith. Should I ask a luthier to try to get it working correctly and just eat the cost of repair? Is it really worth it to replace the neck? What about the tremolo sticking?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Now I really feel foolish! What should I do next?
by markcockerill on 2012-10-20 18:39:38

Just replace the neck dude, I did after just a few days and I gig the 69 twice a week and jam another couple of days every week and have done so for 18 months or so. Ok, it cost me a neck but hell I have an incredibly playable guitar that stays in tune and kicks serious ar$e. Just my two English pence worth of advice.

by Jag_Jones on 2012-10-22 12:11:21

Replacing the neck might be an option but, if you like the feel of the factory neck, seems to be a waste and unecessary. While it is disappointing that Line6 doesn't seem to have fixed the issue, I think a competent luthier could fix it. What guage of strings are you using? It sounds most lkely to me that the nut is not properly cut/finished. I'd have a luthier check that and maybe give a few more winds to the high E so there is more downward pressure at the nut. I'd also have him check the setup of the bridge and adjust it as well.

Frankly, I find this issue on many new guitars these days! It's really disappointing that quality control doesn't seem to exist anywhere anymore.

BTW, I've had my JTV59 for about six months now and haven't had an issue with the setup at all. This is only the second guitar I've ever owned (over 30 at this point) that didn't require a setup right off the shelf and I was surprised by that. The other is my Custom Shop Les Paul.

by guitar4u on 2012-10-22 12:17:32

Thanks, that's helpful!

by Stueyd on 2012-10-24 07:43:46

I feel very lucky considering all the bad reports i've read on here about the JTV-59. I bought my JTV-59 a few weeks ago and other than the action being slightly higher than I would like it was good "out of the box" and i'm very happy with it.

I've owned a LOT of new guitars and i've only ever had 2 guitars that were delivered "perfect", a Fender Custom Shop Classic Strat and a PRS Prism.

Every other guitar i've ever bought has needed some tinkering by a luthier to get it "just right". Gibson are especially bad in this respect fresh from the factory. You'd think Gibson would have better quality control when you're spending £2,500 or more on a guitar. So, not that it's much consolation, but it's not just Line 6 who are a bit rubbish.

But i've never bought a guitar that a £50 - £100 service from the luthier couldn't fix to my liking.

So don't despair, get it to a good luthier and i'd be really suprised if they couldn't transform it into the guitar it should be.

by silverhead on 2012-10-24 08:05:22

I have a JTV-59 that I am very happy with except for one thing: the frets are way too high for my liking. I think that unless you have a really light touch when playing (I don't) you will find that the guitar goes out of tune simply by depressing the strings fully to the fretboard - stretching the string the distance from the top of the fret to the fingerboard is enough to make the note sharp.

Maybe my JTV was one of a factory run that was out of spec, or maybe all JTV-59s are like this. Don't know. But, as was suggested, it's nothing a good guitar tech can't solve. My JTV-59 is in the shop right now for a fret replacement and professional setup. Same guy did the setup on my Variax 300 when I replaced the neck with a Warmoth neck, and I love it. He said the fret guage on my JTV is the guage of bass guitar fretwire. I'm replacing it with standad guage. I expect I will now love playing my JTV as well.

by Line6Tony on 2012-10-25 13:28:00

Also, it looks like you're in touch with our service department via support ticket. That's the best way to communicate with us about any issues with your guitar.

by guitar4u on 2012-10-25 13:53:02

Tony, that is correct. Line6 service dept. is working with me to resolve the issue.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.