These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Best way to connect POD hd pro via interface?
by AlexeiRTA on 2012-10-23 16:00:29

Hi, I'm looking to buy the pod hd pro very soon and I've been looking all over the web trying to find a strait answer for how to connect the hd pro to my saffire 56 interface, for direct recording I guess, I say 'I guess' because I'm not sure what the right term for what I want to do is. I want to connect the hd pro through my interface so that I can just dial in my tones on the hd pro and record strait away.

What's the best way to hook it up and is there anything I should be aware of in terms of when I'm setting up a session?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Re: Best way to connect POD hd pro via interface?
by silverhead on 2012-10-23 16:30:47

If you want to record tones directly from your Pod HD Pro there are two options:

1) Connect your Pod HD Pro to your computer via usb, and configure your recording software to use the HD Pro and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device. In this scenario you would not use your saffire 56 at all while during the recording session.

2) Connect the HD Pro audio outputs to your saffire audio inputs, and use the saffire as your audio interface to your computer. In this case you would not connect the HD Pro to your computer.

Option #2 opens the door to another recording method: you could record the dry signal from the HD Pro (connect the HD Pro Dry Out to a saffire input) and reamp the tone later using a plugin product like Pod Farm, or (if your saffire interface support multi-channel i/o) you could reamp the dry tone using the HD Pro. This method allows you to change the guitar tone after it's been recorded, without having to re-perform the part.

by AlexeiRTA on 2012-10-24 05:37:30

Thanks for the help. Also if I were to do it by option 2, is it right that I would need a female xlr to connect to the balanced output of the hd pro?

by silverhead on 2012-10-24 06:06:58

You could use either the XLR or the 1/4" audio outputs of the HD Pro to connect to your saffire. Over the short distances in a studio there won't be any noticeable difference between the balanced and unbalanced outputs. Depending on your choice, and the inputs of the saffir you may or may not need adapters or hybrid cables.

by spikey on 2012-10-24 08:24:11

I would just 1/4" out on the HD to 1/4" in on the Saffire. As long as they are within 10 feet of each other and you are using a decent software host (Logic studio, Sonar X2, ProTools, etc etc) There shouldnt be any issues in getting a pro like sound.

by AlexeiRTA on 2012-10-24 09:47:30

Ok cool, I'll try the 1/4" unbalenced first then and see how it goes

by Ablakk on 2012-11-16 11:46:24

>>1) Connect your Pod HD Pro to your computer via usb, and configure your recording software to use the HD Pro and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device. In this scenario you would not use your saffire 56 at all while during the recording session.

Hi Silverhead,

will HD Pro work as audio interface, then? I mean - if it will be configured as asio i/o, when I will play recorded tracks, will this go through HD Pro or you still need to have separate audio interface?

Thanks!

by silverhead on 2012-11-16 11:48:55

The HD Pro is an audio interface; no need for separate one.

by Ablakk on 2012-11-16 12:08:10

Great, thank you. I coldn't find direct ansewer on this question...

I'm Line 6 UX1 and UX2 user. I am looking to buy HD Pro, and with your answer I think I made my mind.

by BMoe on 2012-12-24 08:59:13

I know this thread is old butI tried the 1/4"  output direcly to the Saffire and then routed direcly (in Saffire) to Mackie HR824's and

the sound is very digital. My old machine was a Vista with a Realtek soundcard using Cubase ( now have Mac with Pro Tools 10) and the simple Realtek sounded great. I would

expect better results with the Saffire but too digital, don't know if this is the nature of the Saffire and think of returning if can't get better recorded HD500 sound.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.