These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT25 XLR Question
by STPLE on 2012-10-25 09:53:46

I am considering buying a DT25 Head and Cabinet.  If anyone would share their experiences I would greatly appreciate it.  I play primarily in a church setting in an auditorium that seats about 1000.  I currently have a POD HD and love it.  We use a lot of different tones. Currently I don't use an amp on stage (stage volume can be a problem in that setting) but run everything through the PA for the house and floor monitor for band (via XLR).  I miss using my tube amp but it is too difficult for the sound guys (all volunteer not professional) to mic and set levels, etc.

My main question on the DT25 is that if I used the XLR out on the back of the head to the PA - would that still give the good "tube" sound and feel?  I have to make it very easy for sound guys but I really would like to return to having an amp.  Does anyone have any experience doing something similar to this??

Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Re: DT25 XLR Question
by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-25 11:56:18

The XLR output takes a tap from the output transformer, so yes, it has the "tube" sound and feel to it since it comes after the output section.  It also benefits from a modeled cab and mic.  Should be simple as pie for your sound guys.

by geppert on 2012-10-25 12:40:54

Aslo remember (tell the sound guy) that the XLR output on the DT25 is at "Mic Level".

by STPLE on 2012-10-25 13:15:06

Thanks.  I forgot about the modeled cab and mic.  Thanks again.

by STPLE on 2012-10-25 13:16:26

Thanks.  Not to be an idiot but what does "Mic Level" mean??  Can you explain??  Also, a bunch of my patches (HD500) have two amp models - how does that work with the DT25??  Or is that a different question for a different post??  Thanks.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-25 13:22:05

Mic level just means they're going to have to set the gain at the board on your channel strip higher.

Your dual amp patches will be fine if all you're doing is running L6 Link into the DT25.

by STPLE on 2012-10-25 13:43:20

Thanks.  I'm new at this and wasn't quite sure if the dual amp patches (pre amps with the DT25) would work well since the DT25 changes topology of the amp being modeled.  I wasn't quite sure if you could run a dual amp model.  I take it I won't have a problem with two amp patches.  Any advice in setting those up (outside of using pre-amps now).  Thanks, again.

by geppert on 2012-10-25 15:32:56

Karl is correct .... but the point is .... on "most" pro audio gear, XLR connections (with the exception of mic cables) carry "line level" signals, so unless you tell the sound guy in advance that what you're giving him via the XLR from your amp is "mic level", he may insert the XLR feed to a line level input on his board then wonder why the resulting level is so low? He may (knowing in advance) opt to put it though the mic input of his board instead? Anyways, a quick "this is what is is" to clarify the siutuation to the sound guy, will alleviate any potenital confusion (hopefully) !~! It's not that big of a deal though, any sound person with experience will figure it out. This just makes you look good. I know from my studio experience that when a person tells me in advance exactly what I'm getting, it makes my decisions more efficient and the information is appreciated.

by STPLE on 2012-10-25 18:40:16

Hey thanks!!  I'm going to print this out.  Our sound guys have trouble with anything out of the box.  This is a huge help.  Thanks!

by greghall on 2012-10-26 01:30:01

Dual amp patches do work with a single DT25, but both HD amp models share a single DT topology. This can sometimes be a bit of a compromise, depending on which amp models you want to use, and topologies that they were designed to work with.

One approach is to set the DT clean, i.e. class A, topology 1, and use the full amp models in the HD (note: this does use more HD DSP).

Another solution, if you are serious about dual amp patches, is to buy a second DT and route each HD amp model to it's own DT / topology. I've not tried this myself, but understand that it is possible. I intend to do this as soon as I can afford a second DT, as I think it will sound awesome.

by hollis1003 on 2012-10-26 05:13:05

It's not really out of the box.  It just means that the signal out of the XLRs is not that "hot."  Usually there is a button on the mixing board that says -10/+4 and you would want it on the -10 for your signal level.  If you were at "line level" then it would be +4.

Your volume will also vary depending on how loud you set the master volume on your DT-25.  So, if you happen to adjust your volume during the middle of the song, it will effect the signal going to the front of house.

by STPLE on 2012-10-31 14:20:33

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.