These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Proper number of tremolo springs - JTV-69?
by snhirsch on 2012-10-29 08:12:54

I'm a bit puzzled.  Just purchased a JTV-69 last weekend (had to drive 250 miles to find a stocking dealer, but that's a rant for another time).  The guitar has only two tension springs installed on the tremolo mechanism.  All the photos I've seen here show (3) springs.  Tuning stability is only so-so, even after checking for piezo-pickup cable rub and other obvious issues that have been beaten to death here.  For other JTV-69 owners:  How many springs did your instrument come with? 

Re: Proper number of tremolo springs - JTV-69?
by shawnmx on 2012-10-29 08:38:58

Mine has three springs.

by snhirsch on 2012-10-29 13:44:05

Ok, I've since been contacted by one of the folks at Line 6.  The guitar is indeed supposed to have three springs installed.  They're going to help me get this straightened out.  I'm impressed with the fast response!  Smart money says that this will correct the tuning instability.

by Thumpingrug on 2012-10-29 13:54:01

Mine had 3 fitted when i got it.  I took one off as i like a bit more movement in the trem.  Tuning stability hasnt been effected at all

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.