These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How many recording channels on HD500?
by SatanJunior on 2012-10-29 11:03:46

Hi ya'll!

Have been trying to find an answer for the question above but to no avail.

I'm upgrading from a XT Live and need to decide if I should go for the X3 Live or the HD500.

Since I use the device for a lot of recording I'm in need of maximum flexibility.

I borrowed a X3L from a friend and know that it has 8 channels when recording in Cubase (or any other DAW).

Tone 1 L+R

Tone 2 L+R

Mix L+R

Clean L+R

This is an awesome setup imho!

So back to the question:

How many channels are ther when recording with the hd500?

Thanks in advance!

Re: How many recording channels on HD500?
by phil_m on 2012-10-29 11:14:32

There's just two channels of USB audio the HD500 - left and right.

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-29 11:18:00

As in Mix L+R?

by phil_m on 2012-10-29 11:30:51

Essentially, yes, it's main mix. The dual tone architecture is quite different on the HD500 than on the X3L, so you don't have the option to separate each tone out on its own in the same way. There's no dry send either.

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-29 11:34:29

Ok. Thanks a lot for answers.

That kinda complicates stuff for me ... hmmm ... I realise that the sound quality is better on the HD500 but the recording optins on the X3L is awesome ... back to the drawing board

by silverhead on 2012-10-29 11:51:01

imho........ the X3 Live is better than the HD500 in the studio IF you plan to use the Pod (either one) as the audio interface device to your DAW. The reasons for this are as you describe - more flexibility in channels and direct compatability with the Pod Farm plugin. The HD500 does have superior tones but it is designed primarily for playing live with an electric guitar.

If, however, you want to use a multi-channel audio interface with an S/PDIF input as the audio device in your DAW, rather than the Pod and its usb connection, you can get a dry signal and re-amping capability using the Pod HD500 or Pod HD Pro. This would give you more recording flexibility as well as the superior tones.

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-29 14:24:16

Hmmm ... so what you are saying is that i play through the hd500 -> s/pdif -> soundcard -> DAW -> signal out from soundcard -> HD500 -> process -> soundcard analog in -> DAW

Which gives at best 2 channels clean and 2 channels processed?

Hmmm ... interesting ...

by silverhead on 2012-10-29 15:05:25

Yes - that's what I am saying. The easy part is recording the dry signal from the HD500 via s/pdif through your soundcard to your DAW - any soundcard with an s/pdif input will support this. Your selection of soundcard is critical when it comes to the re-amping part. You need to make sure that your soundcard supports multiple, seperate stereo channels - not just multiple inputs to a single stereo channel. Specifically, when re-amping you need to keep the dry signal being fed from your DAW/soundcard to the HD500 input separate from the processed signal fed back from the HD500 to your soundcard/DAW. If these signals are mixed in your soundcard you will get a feedback loop that defeats the process.

From a workflow point of view it may be simplest to record the dry signal to your DAW while monitoring (not recording) the wet signal. It's not necessary to record the wet signal simultaneously, especially since the reason you are recording the dry signal is to re-amp later. So, later, you can record the re-amped dry signal as a separate step any number of times, tweaking it from time to time as your song/sound develops.

By the way, the reason you might want to consider the HD Pro vs. the HD500 is that it supports a dry out analog signal as well as additional i/o ports.

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-29 15:40:09

Thanks a lot for your answers.

I'm kinda leaning towards the X3L since I need to be able to use it live and when rehearsing and with the same sounds as I record with.

Another aspect is that I don't have the $ right now to buy both a soundcard and the hd500

(Last year my Hercules 16/12 FW and my MOTU 8PRE gave up the same week ... )

Well well ... again thanks to you both for your input

by brue58ski on 2012-10-30 01:35:18

You will be very happy with the X3.  I haven't touched my X3 since I got the 500 but it's still the new toy!  If I start recording I'll probably dedicate my X3 for recording.  Except maybe for the Fender amps.  They really nailed those in the 500.

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-30 04:50:23

X3L it is then!

As a recording device it is outstanding and if I get my hands on a used one that hasn't been abused I think I'll be very happy. If all else fail the clean signal will always be re-ampable

by johnpicton on 2012-10-30 10:27:45

I am sure there was a thread about 4 - 6 weeks ago that said that Line 6 actually had some X3L that they were selling off at a reduced rate.

If you buy second had a BIG thing to ask is if it is clear of the USB audio drop out problem, either that it has had the hardware fix or that it falls out of the SN range that suffered from the problem. If you do end up with one with the problem there is a free fix that Line 6 offer but you would be without your X3L while it is being done.

I mainly mention it because it would completely scupper your recording if you get one with the problem.

Once the fix is applied the X3L is great (well mine is!).

To be honest I have both an X3L and and HD500 and I use the X3L as much if not more than the HD500. Yes the HD has better quality amp modeling but I find the truly independent dual channels to be great on the X3L - I sing more than I play and for that it is great.

Best of luck!!

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-30 10:59:47

Oh ...

How do I ask the seller to test it?

Does it occur every recording or only sporadically?

I have looked at a used one sold by a music store, that's probably the best deal if should be able send it back if it doesn't work.

The free fix, is that eligeble for me, in Sweden buying a used one too?

Sorry ... lot's of questions ...

by silverhead on 2012-10-30 11:19:48

I wouldn't ask the seller to test it; I would simply ask if the device has received the hardware fix for the USB Audio Dropout problem. Ideally, he/she will have the receipt for the fix.

It occurs every time when recording, but usually only after a variable period of time. With some devices it happens after a few minutes; some devices can go for an hour or two - but eventually the audio drops out.

Yes - a reliable vendor is the safest approach.

The lifetime warranty on this issue applies to the device itself - not the owner or geographical region.  Any authorized Line 6 service centre will fix it for free. You may have to pay shipping to/from the service centre if it is not nearby.

by johnpicton on 2012-10-30 12:03:12

Completly agree with Silverhead (it was Silverhead that helped me sort out my X3L when I had audio drop out).

Buy for a reputable dealer and you should be fine.

Cheers

John

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-30 13:31:17

Great!

Thanks for really good advice

by SatanJunior on 2012-10-31 12:43:34

Do you know if this hardware problem is worldwide on all sold X3?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.