These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

2.21 Upgrade - What happens to existing factory patches?
by maxrichard on 2012-10-30 17:13:32

Ok, I just got my HD500 which has version firmware 1.31 on it. I haven't created any new patches of my own. I have though, made a list in Excel (that I can share if you like) of existing presets with a comments about the patch such as, "Good delay for use in other patches", "nice verb", "this patch totally rawks" etc.

The question is in two parts:     

1) Will any of these original, "from the factory" patches be overwritten? Some I would like to keep.

2) This is actually two parts, how many firmware releases have there been between 1.31 and the current, 2.21?

3) Did additional patches/presets come with each firmware release? If so, did they overwrite some of the originals, or are they stored elsewhere?

I haven't made it through all the (1.31) patches yet, and am wondering do I need to take the time to go through (and save) the ones I like?

Thanks guys and gals!

MadMax

Re: 2.21 Upgrade - What happens to existing factory patches?
by jimsreynolds on 2012-10-30 17:44:47

The latest version for the HD500 is 2.10 so unless you are from the future (like me) I assume that is the version you refer to.

1)  Yes, some will be overwritten.

2) ...  uh, 1.40, 1.43, 2.01   I think ... at least three.

3)  Yes, and I think some originals got overwritten.  I think they may have used one of the User storage lists also but frankly there are definitely some that got blatted by new Presets to show off new models and features/

My suggestion is to use HD Edit to back up the presets that you have now and that way you can always restore them.  Just bear in mind that some of the new functionality (e.g. input Impedance) in later firmware may change the sound of some of those patches a little.    If you really don't like it you can back-rev to 1.31 but you would lose the new amps and features.

As for the review exercise ... well I dont recall seeing any posts saying "curse Line 6 ... they overwrote my favourite example with this new firmware release" so I think the opposite is probably true and the newer tones are better developed.

In general though, just bear in mind that the example presets are by no means the best ones available for the pod (ones from customtone and board luminaries such as Meambobbo are often better crafted) so try not to get too hung up on them.

by meambobbo on 2012-10-31 12:26:08

you can find all my patches here:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/patches/

the latest ones are filed in the respective folders - there is no setlist file for all of them yet.

you can tell what versions are the most recent by looking at the last 4 digits in the file name.  That is the modification date in MMDD format.

by maxrichard on 2012-10-31 18:35:54

Jim I knew you could read my mind. I'm sure you figured out that 2.21 is the latest v of the editor, and 2.1 the latest firmware.

Unless anyone advises me differently. I'm going to load each firmware - rob all the patches out of it to a library I've created, move on to the next, repeat. Then, I'll lean on the forum and the great and mighty MEANBOBBO for awesome patches. Usually I don't create patches from the ground up. I start with an amp(s) I like, tweak it how I like it, and then work on the before and after effects that I liked in other patches (or maybe I get lucky and there is a "base" to start off with). So, you guys have been tremendous help, and I wish you all the points possible. I hate that I can only mark one as correct answer, but I'll give you credit in a later post meambobbo. Again, thanks!

For the OCD out there, I have created an excel list for all the bundles I have so far. Is there a way to upload a file here or would I need to put the file somewhere and link it? I'd prefer to be able to directly upload but...  Also, on the stovetop is an app that will (after I have all patches within each respective setlist and bundle) enumerate the directory to be able to read in the file names to create the spreadsheet. Just going to do it with VBA for now, so when I upload it, you'll just have to trust it's not a virus.... or is it?.... nah, I think folks like that should go UNDER the jail.

First of all though, I'm having a problem with explorer constantly crashing in Win7, and it's looking like I'm gonna have to wipe and reload. Lots of fun huh?

Thanks!

by mazuwa on 2012-11-01 01:48:39

And don't forget to download all tones from customtone and from meambobbo.

There you can find many tones which have completely different sound buildt-ups than the factory tones.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-01 03:43:24

maxrichard wrote:

For the OCD out there, I have created an excel list for all the bundles I have so far. Is there a way to upload a file here or would I need to put the file somewhere and link it?

There are a couple of ways you could do it here.

Within a post:

1)  Create a new post, either in this thread or a new one.

2)  While in editor, click on 'advanced editor'.  When this opens, you will see a facility at the bottom of the edit window that allows you to attach a file to a post.

As a document (useful if you plan to maintain the post afterwards);

1)  Click on the 'Your Stuff' and 'Documents' at the top of the screen

2)  Select 'Create a Document' from the list on the right of the screen.

3)  Add words and attachements, choose your document audience and save.

3)  Post a notification in the forum that the document exists.

In each case, the list says that you can add an .xlsx or .doc file so you should be ok.  If the system baulks at this (and in my experience it may well do) then add the extension .jpg to the file name and upload that (with some expanatory words in the post about removing that extension before viewing).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.