These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Upgrading POD HD Power Supply?
by rootsrocker on 2012-11-01 01:14:25

I really like my POD HD, but the el-cheapo One Spot style power adaptor is very suceptable to AC noise.  It drives me crazy when i'm readying to record only for some random background AC noise/hum/hiss to kill progress.

I've been looking at alternative power supplies, specifically a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power AC, which they claim is powerful enough to run a POD... although looking over the specs my POD needs at least 2.5A @ 9V - the Voodoo Labs solution delivers a peak output of 1.2A.  I was ready to buy one, but finding out this info has put that plan to a stop.

Are there any known power supplies that are an improvement on the stock adaptor?  I'm wanting to make my POD HD as silent as possible - but the current power adaptor is a weak link.

Re: Upgrading POD HD Power Supply?
by ozbadman on 2012-11-01 10:51:08

I haven't tried it, but a Sony PS2 power supply might do the job. It's 8.5V, but lots of Amps. I'd probably try using a bench power supply though to make sure the 'cheapy' power supply is actually the source of your problem.

by phil_m on 2012-11-01 10:57:45

The PODs use 9V DC power supplies. There just switching power supplies, there's not really anything inherently noisy about them. There's no brick power supply I know of that's big enough to hand 2.5A of current from one output. Even with doubling cables and that, you'd be hard pressed to meet the spec.

by hurghanico on 2012-11-01 11:38:22

almost certainly your problem is instead due to a "ground loop"

these objects might be of your interest:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX/
or
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum/

by scottyo78 on 2012-11-02 16:48:15

Isn't that what the Noise Gate is for?

by hurghanico on 2012-11-02 17:07:24

scottyo78 ha scritto:

Isn't that what the Noise Gate is for?

would not say that
it can help a little, but does not solve the problem thoroughly
the noise gate is used to eliminate the hum noise produced by the guitar
our friend talked about random noise, and not the typical guitar hum noise that is always the same..
from the description he gave, it seems to me a ground loop problem, which is better solved in another way

by wetredbox on 2012-11-02 18:22:05

also, when hooked up via USB there is a ton of nise.  if you are hooked up to USB while recording try cutting that coneection beofre hitting go.  this one kills me

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-03 02:30:11

Yeah, a ground loop does sound like a strong possibility and one of the suggested isolating transformers may help with that.  

Noise gates need to be viewed as a last resort after other sources of noise have been eliminated.  If the noise component of your sound is too high then the gate threshold will need to be set high and that will result in an unnatural sound that will not work in many musical styles.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.