These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

More SLO and Epic goodness
by tdollaway on 2012-11-04 18:54:19

First attempt at programming drums. I used EZdrummer and Reaper. For guitars, the left track is the SLO model (doubled) with my Jackson RR7R (D-Activators) and the right track is the Epic with my LTD EX307 (EMG 81-7, 707)

Give me some feedback!

http://soundcloud.com/travis-dollaway/cruelsummer

Re: More SLO and Epic goodness
by HDProJohn on 2012-11-05 09:00:38

Are you looking for tone or mix/production critique? First thing would be to redo the bass. I hate to say it, but the Fliptop sounds bad for anything "heavy," IMO. I've liked it on acoustic tracks I've worked on, but that's about it. Check out the TSE BOD plugin (freeware). Try blending the Fliptop and that into a buss. I'd also parallel compress the bass buss and add some distortion on the parallel channel (had luck with Juicy 77 - also freeware). That should take the abrasive bass tone away and still fill out the bottom end. The drum programming was fine, but I'd go on to actually set up the session with EZDrummer outputting to multiple channels so you have control over everything. There are plenty of YouTube videos describing how to route and EQ drums. Playing and guitars were good minus the lead towards the end sticking out. Also, use some buss compression to glue it all together.

by tdollaway on 2012-11-05 10:43:57

That's exactly what I'm looking for. The bass really muddied up when I mixed everything down. I'll definitely look into the TSE BOD plugin. This was my first foray into completing a track and wanted some good feedback on what to improve upon. I'll definitely be remixing and retracking the bass.

by toneman2121 on 2012-11-05 13:31:11

1st attemp=pretty damn good to me. like the solo

by tdollaway on 2012-11-06 18:19:14

Thanks, toneman! @HDProJohn: I attempted to use your advice and came up with the following. It's still had a lot of room for improvement, but it's getting there.

http://soundcloud.com/travis-dollaway/cruelsummer4

by HDProJohn on 2012-11-07 09:52:49

Much better. Try lessening some of the distortion/drive too. If you really want to learn though, start searching around for mixing techniques, for all different genres. I've even learned some cool techniques from primarily pop/hip-hop producers online. Can almost guarantee you will listen to this in 9-12 months and laugh at how bad you think it is. AEing takes time to get good at, but this is a great first stab.

by HwyStar on 2012-11-07 12:23:25

Sounds good tdollaway!  It's playing in the background as I type this and it is easy to listen to if you don't focus on the fact it is a new recording.  I would clean up the last few notes of the solo though. Kind of rough.  Good Job!  Yes, Reaper is the way to go, I agree.

by scottyo78 on 2012-11-07 14:06:52

How is Reaper used for drums? I use Studio One Professional (S1P which has some drum loops and sounds) and EZdrummer. I've read about setting up the drum tracks into the DAW for control but with EZ drummer you already have complete control via its already self-contained mixer for each drum which seems easy to me. They just came out with a new Pack that should cover the rest of my musical tastes. Drag a loop onto a single instrument track and days later you can still adjust any drum with EZ's mixer. I'm probably missing something here and/or just a simpleton though.

by TheRealZap on 2012-11-07 14:10:23

reaper uses ezdrummer too... and although i like the builtin ezdrummer mixer, breaking it into individual tracks has it's advantages... such as i can add a little reverb to the snare, or a little compression to the bass drum etc... using other vst's

I tend to use superior drummer 2.0 as well as ezdrummer, works great with my vdrums, record the midi track live and then switch kits around add effects etc...

tried studio one briefly and it looked nice enough.

by HDProJohn on 2012-11-07 15:44:00

Routing and effects! Drums aren't anything without individual control. Like RealZap mentioned, you get the ability to apply VSTs/effects to singular drums and set up a session with busses (makes mixing much easier as well). Google 'parallel compression' and try it out some time. Night and day difference.

by tdollaway on 2012-11-07 19:10:06

http://soundcloud.com/travis-dollaway/cruelsummermaster1

This is my latest version. Thanks for all the feedback, guys! There is definitely a learing curve.

I'm not so much concerned with the actual playing on this particular project at I am the mix and learning how do determine what is needed and how to accomplish it. 

I must admit, it's pretty damn addictive.

Thanks again!

by tdollaway on 2012-11-07 19:13:19

You're definitely right about the gain. There's too much on all of the guitar tracks. I'm not sure if I'll retrack this particular song or make note of it for the next project. (I have a ton of them, already)

by HDProJohn on 2012-11-08 07:07:26

Completely addictive. Something about the bass doesn't sound right yet, but again, it's still good (and lots better than your first). Oh, and nice movie quotes by the way, haha. My comment about distortion was intended for the bass, but lessening distortion on guitars ALWAYS helps clean things up.

As a hint, record your drys so you can reamp later if you decide to retone.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.