These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

UX2 randomly stops working in Win8
by slammer88 on 2012-11-06 10:26:27

My question is clear. I had this problem with my older Studio GX in Win 7 64 Bit as well. Besides, i've used UX2 in Win 7 64 bit for 2 years until last week, the date i've upgraded to Win 8. Suddenly it stops working and only way to solve that is restarting the computer. PLEASE, give me some reasonable advices, i don't want to hear "un- and reinstall the drivers, check updates" etc. I've ALREADY done these.. Note that, i had this issues while i was using Win 7 as well..I think Line 6 doesnt give much importance to satisfy their customers, i've lately seen lots of topics with issues similar or same with mine..

Thanks in advance..

Re: UX2 randomly stops working in Win8
by felkar123 on 2012-11-09 04:53:44

oh man I have the same problem with the same device

pleas can anyone help us?

I think this drivers for UX2 are not entirely done for Windows 8

by BradyCav on 2012-11-11 19:41:49

Exactly the same problem.  Had it with the consumer preview. Just downloaded current drivers - which now say Windows 8 - it will play for about ten minutes then just stops and I have to reboot.  PLEASE Line 6 - fix this.  I don't want to have to get a new audio interface.  I love my UX2 but I have to be able to use it.

by Triryche on 2012-11-12 12:27:59

I think the the newest driver listing Windows 8 is a typo.

If you go to the downloads page Windows 8 is not even an OS option in the dropdown.

by slammer88 on 2012-11-13 09:54:00

This is the worst thing i've ever experienced with my soundcards. Why would not Line 6 listen to their customers and release quick fixes and updates to solve this and other kind of problems asap ? Instead of releasing some wireless devices, put some effort on us, the customers, and fix our problems first..

by leofugi on 2012-11-15 16:39:45

Hey, i'm experiencing that too.

Since that i've upgraded to Win8, my ux2 started to crank the sound and then it just dies. Then i have to restart the computer to have the sound back.

It worked just fine when i was on win7.

My computer is a quad 2 core q6600 with 8gb ram.

by aleyuassa on 2012-11-20 09:20:16

I have the exact same problem, but I own a Mac with Mountain Lion...!

by Relztem on 2012-12-04 19:24:46

Also having this problem. Windows 8 pro 32bit.

by BigChas52 on 2012-12-04 19:34:42

I was having a problems with temporary drop outs with hmy UX-2 on Windows 8.  I fixed it by going into the Windows 8 advanced power settings and setting the "USB selective suspend setting" to "Disabled"  The problem has not has not happened in over a week since changing the setting.

by Relztem on 2012-12-04 19:49:54

Thanks for the suggestion, however, it didn't work for me.

by Relztem on 2012-12-07 20:35:12

Still nothing on whether this is even being looked at? I tried to start a ticket but it wouldn't allow me.

by iscariahkrieg on 2012-12-08 08:24:27

Same problem but with a TonePortDI ....

by jakestyles on 2012-12-10 12:58:35

Yeah same here too, with a UX1. I'm getting really frustrated. I opened a ticket but the response was the usual "stay tuned for driver updates" and then the ticket was closed. People have stayed tuned for a long time you know, since the same problem was already present in Windows 7.

I cannot use my POD studio for anything right now. Probably have to give up soon and get a device that actually works from another manufacturer. I'm not going back to Vista just because of this.

P.S. I tried the advice from BigChas52 too, didn't help unfortunately.

by Relztem on 2012-12-11 18:31:11

I'm wondering if it's not a repeat of this problem with Windows 7 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031?">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031?I've emailed Microsoft Tech Support, will update if it turns out to be the same issue.

by Relztem on 2012-12-11 18:31:40

Hi,

Did you try this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031when you were under Windows 7?

by Relztem on 2013-01-03 13:05:29

Any new drivers to fix this yet? Or should I start looking for a new interface?

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-10 02:23:36

I'm curious if these are the same issues. http://line6.com/support/thread/90571....and... http://line6.com/support/thread/41335

by mikxman on 2013-01-10 14:24:31

I have the same problem on Win 8 64bit

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-10 20:22:10

We all need to open separate tickets with Line 6 and keep this thread going if you ever what to get any help.

by slammer88 on 2013-01-11 08:49:43

Seems like Line 6 still dont give a s.ht about our problems!

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-11 10:54:50

Relztem wrote:

Hi,

Did you try this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031when you were under Windows 7?

Sure did, thanks for atleast suggesting it, but yeah, I tried it on a clean install before that hotfix and after, same problem. The drivers are crashing my system, when it crashes, the audio hangs and I have to hard reboot my computers. I've also tried ending all possible processes through task manager to do a normal reboot to no avail.

by davidairth on 2013-01-12 13:07:35

I am having the exact same problem with Windows 8, 32 bit.  Sound works fine for awhile then stops.

Line 6, please reply to this issue, lets not have a repeat of the WIndows 7 driver fiasco.

David

by pandashakejr on 2013-01-12 14:49:18

David, this is a user forum only, don't be fooled by there being Moderators here, they are no different than you or I. You have to open up a support ticket in order to get through to Line 6, HTH.

by slammer88 on 2013-01-21 06:45:02

Well, i'm totally fed up with this shit. It happens everyday and its a fresh Windows install. I will sell this piece of crap sound card as soon as possible. The only responsible of this situation is Line 6. Instead of releasing some new useless equipments, they should have cared about their customer's problems more, which is clearly not happening at all. I'm seriously done with it. I'll buy another brand's sound card, a cheaper one maybe, actually the main reason i'm using Line 6 was POD Farm, but Line 6 dont make any new things for it as well, so, there's no point keeping up with this..

by Triryche on 2013-01-21 06:56:50

slammer,

I know you are already fed up. But apc3 is correct. Line6 does not monitor the forums for support. (They used to in the past, but they changed their support approach). And I know it is a PITA, but if you open a support ticket they may be able to help. If this is a Windows 8 driver issue, the more reports they get the more info they will have to sort this out. Not that it does you any good in the meantime.

You can contact Line6 directly via a support ticket or phone:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="text">

Line 6 - North America

Line 6, Inc.
26580  Agoura Road
Calabasas, CA 91302-1921

Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600
Main Fax#: (818) 575-3601

Customer Service hours are 8am - 5pm M-F Pacific Time
Press option 3 for Customer Service
Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

Line 6 - Europe

Line 6, Inc.
The POD
Clifton House
Butler's Leap
Rugby, Warwickshire
United Kingdom, CV21 3RQ

Telefone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566
Fax: +44 (0) 1788 566 529

Technical Support: +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT

by mirovaz on 2013-01-21 10:01:15

Sama happening here with OSX 10.8.2.

The new drivers stoped the distortion while playback that ocurried some times but bring back this problem: sound stoping and UX2 not responding.

Any news on this?

by Deathshead on 2013-01-21 15:20:04

Can anyone recommend a Competing device to replace this ux1?

I just need a simple interface that will take a guitar input and headphone out with a volume knob.

I ask this because I'm about 2 seconds away from smashing this device and posting the remains everywhere.

I opened a ticket with line6 support and they closed the ticket with no resolution, no wow, we are sorry to hear this.

Nothing but a snide ticket update and he closed it.

"We have not received any other reports of customers receiving any kind of crash on Windows 8 since its release. How are you experiencing a crash with the UX1?

We do not have any Windows drivers in BETA at this time. The latest available driver is available for download from the link below:

Windows Drivers 4.2.5.4:

http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=4791

-Don

CustomerSupport"

Line 6

by Deathshead on 2013-01-21 15:22:35

My response back.

"Hi Don, there are many other users on the forums reporting this same issue.

This is very similar to the windows 7 driver issues we experienced.

I run very simple apps,

IK multimedia Amplitube, Podfarm, along with Foobar200 or Winamp. Or any combination of these apps, either alone or running at the same time.

I can start up amplitube and then play an mp3 for around 10-15 minutes and the whole audio system crashes. This even locks up the windows mixer.

No other options other than rebooting will bring it back.

The only thing I could possibly do is do another full clean install of windows 8 and cross my fingers? "

Please note, I was not asking him to trouble shoot 3rd part applications, I stated that any combination of apps including podfarm..

by Deathshead on 2013-01-21 15:26:09

Don's "oh well screw you" response..

"dmckay      Jan 21, 14:50 PM     

Our driver was not designed to stream system audio as a primary sound card for apps like Foobar200 or Winamp. It was designed to be used as a ASIO driver within a audio recording application that supports ASIO drivers, therefore I would suggest to use your internal sound card for system streaming audio. We do not support or troubleshoot the use of Amplitube either.

-Don

Customer Support

Line 6"

Deathshead      Jan 21, 14:56 PM     

Don, so thats it?

After using the device flawlessly for years now.

I just a snide response and a closed ticket with absolutely ZERO assistance, suggestions,etc?

Unbelievable how I'm basically being told tough crap.

You have done nothing but deny any problems vs doing your job and even attempting to help and that's not cool at all.

by Relztem on 2013-01-21 18:35:20

Is that seriously what they wrote you?? They market these interfaces as a complete portable solution. If I wanted JUST a recording interface I would buy a more reputable and popular brand.

I haven't even heard back about my ticket yet that I opened on the 13th Jan. Are they trying to be funny by listing Windows 8 as Windows Snow Leopard?

by anouchirvan on 2013-01-22 02:16:56

I don't know the reason but rather than rebooting the PC you could try to unplug and replug the USB connecting your UX1/2 to your computer as a workaround.

I'm on W7 x64 and had this problem several times (not very often these days)

by Triryche on 2013-01-22 06:49:11

Regarding troubles with non-ASIO software:

Trying to use an ASIO compliant product with non-ASIO software is like trying to port a Play Station 3 game to an NES. Sure, it can be done in some abomination , but why?

I think Line6 does still needs to work on the driver issues, especially with Mountain Lion, but they should not be faulted for their ASIO device not playing nice with software that does not support ASIO.

If you want something simple that is NOT ASIO, try a guitar-link or some other cheap USB (non-ASIO) device.

by Deathshead on 2013-01-23 08:59:33

Apparently Line6 is abandoning these devices, or atleast support for the toneport devices.

The only option I have at this point is to go back to windows 7 until they finally get around to fixing the drivers.

The similar driver problems happened when windows 7 was released.  

After Line6 finally released new windows 7 drivers, the device worked flawlessy for years as a main audio device AND ASIO unit.

At this point, in the future I know I will steer clear of purchasing any line6 hardware in the future just due to the snotty attitude of line6 support on this problem.

This reminds me of the Iraqi general claiming that the Americans were not in Iraq, but in the picture there was American tanks in the background. lol

by Deathshead on 2013-01-23 09:04:10

The device worked flawlessly for years on windows 7 as a main sound card & Asio device (at the same time) after line6 finally fixed those drivers.  Now all of a sudden its my problem and im using the device incorrectly?

All I use this device for currently is for practicing bass guitar using a standalone effects software such as pod farm, or Amplitube ampeg.

So,

Asio guitar in for realtime sound processing, and playing along to MP3s and monitoring the mix at the same time. This device was not designed for this purpose?

by Relztem on 2013-01-23 13:15:51

Yeah I suddenly got a reply to my ticket after posting that I hadn't had a reply (so much for support "not monitoring the forums"). They marked it as assumed answered and was counting down to closing unless I responded. I've responded twice yet the countdown continues. Mickey Mouse running the show?

by jakestyles on 2013-01-24 02:23:19

"We have not received any other reports of customers receiving any kind of crash on Windows 8 since its release."

That is total bulls**t and they know it. I have a second support ticket going on about exactly the same subject. The first one was closed with a response "We currently have drivers available for Windows 8". That was about it. I sent a new ticket and now "it has been reported to US", wonder what are the consequences there...

And if I'm supposed to use another sound board for sound output, how the heck can I monitor the Line6 output then??? Example, I connect my speakers to the internal sound card to get the sound out, but the guitar signal from the UX1 during the recording only comes from the Line6 output, so I need another set of speakers for that. That's insane. In Vista there was no problem using UX1 as the primary sound source for all system sounds as well as the instruments plugged into UX1 at the same time. Everything worked, and now it doesn't.

I'm also starting to look for another interface by another manufacturer. Appreciate all recommendations although this might not be the correct venue for that...

by Line6Tony on 2013-01-24 12:17:37

All,

We have recently been made aware of this thread and this issue. We had some individual cases reported to us, but nothing tying them all together until now. We are working to understand the scope of this problem. We will make support tickets for those reporting similar symptoms (or respond to existing tickets) so that we can collect system information and try to get to the root cause. That will take a considerable amount of time. The more systems we can examine, the better, so we encourage you to communicate with us in your tickets any other similar threads so we can reach out to those customers, too.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue is causing you and we ask for your patience during this process.

by Deathshead on 2013-01-28 07:31:07

Hi Tony, and thanks for actually Acknowledging this issue!.

In the meantime I formatted my drive and reinstalled Windows 7.

I must say this. Windows 8 is the most evil piece of rubbish, Vista x10.

My system is now back to being 100% Stable, Audio sounds great.

Windows 7 is MUCH faster overall too, especially on disk i/o.

If you have Windows 8 Get rid of it, the metro interface and terrible ways to do simple tasks.

Its a nightmare.

by Relztem on 2013-01-29 23:35:57

No way. I had Vista, 7 and now 8. 8 is great, it's only a little annoying having to learn the new (streamlined) habits on how to do tasks now. Apart from this UX2 debacle I've found it to be totally stable.

by Strangletown on 2013-02-03 01:23:26

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you experience this problem again even after reverting back to windows 7. I have two windows 7 machines and I have the same problem as every one else does. I lose audio playback sometimes as often as 20 minutes after having to restart my computer due to previous episodes of the toneport acting up. In my experience the only 'viable' option is to  restart all of the time, since windows sound mixer actually locks up when you try to manually disable/re-enable the device, and unplugging/replugging does not work. I have had this problem for years now since I purchased my ux2, and I have lurked countless threads on this community and others regarding this issue. I've tried every single trick in the book that people come up with but to no avail. I feel pretty confident in assuming that the only fix to this problem is to probably buy another soundcard for your needs (Probably not a line6 one. )

by Harn on 2013-02-17 11:09:35

Since I had the same problem and opened a support ticket two weeks ago with no solution so far, I was just curious if anyone else already increased his knowledge of the problem...?

by Ruben2 on 2013-02-19 01:07:51

I'm having the exact same issue with a KB37 device after upgrading to win8. A support ticket was logged and feedback untill now is that they are investigating..

Fingers crossed..

Anyone has already tried a clean install of windows8? Does it make any difference?

I urge everyone who has the same issue, to definitely log a support ticket to increase visibility of this issue. If the ticket gets closed for whatever reason, just ask to open it again in a new ticket.

by slammer88 on 2013-02-19 05:40:49

Even technical support guys dont know whats going on and cant help me..I'll sell mine as soon as possible..

by Harn on 2013-02-19 12:37:39

just to add here, i did a clean install of Windows 8, so this doesn't seem to have any influence. Interestingly, this was one of the first things line 6-support asked me, too.

by Relztem on 2013-02-20 23:32:48

Yeah this issue is taking too long to fix. I'm also going to have to sell mine, I've been borrowing a friends interface and his hospitality is running out.

by slammer88 on 2013-02-21 09:20:50

GUYS!

As far as i've experienced, this sound dropouts are seem to happen in the "odd" days of month. Sounds quite weird, i know, but i've experienced 3 dropouts today, but not a single one yesterday, and had 2 dropout 2 days ago and didnt have any 3 days ago. The thing i'm doing on my computer are always same, so i dont think its "user" dependant or such..Try it for yourself as well..

by Ruben2 on 2013-02-21 09:29:50

or maybe this is causing the issue ?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031

and">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031">http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484031

andthe MS hotfix never made it to win 8?

by slammer88 on 2013-03-06 09:16:55

I had this problems in Win 7 as well, and i always had the latest updates and hotfixes..

by yruama on 2013-03-12 08:17:21

hello,

I have this probleme too. My computer (notebook) is new (2 week) with Win 8 (64 bit) pre-installed. My UX2 stop working randomly too and i need too reboot savagely my computer. I say savagely because my computer don't want too shutdown when the problem occur, and I need to press a long on the on/off switch to force the shutdown. I will do a support ticket and post more inforamtion here. I will also try with my POD x3 to see if the same problem occur

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.