These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Am I missing something with the SLO 100 Model?
by mirflee on 2012-11-10 09:47:59

It seems that everyone can get a great tone out of this beast except me. I've read that its the best modeller so far in the POD HD.

Anyway, my problem lies where after hours and hours of tweaking it, I can't seem to be satisfied. I felt the when I fiddle around with the knobs for EQ, Drive, Presense on the amp, it doesn't make much of a difference like when I would do it on the other amp modellers. The changes in tone are either subtle or I can't hear it at all. Straight off the bat, I felt that the SLO lacks highs and it feels very muddy, this applies to both the Crunch and Overdrive models by the way. I tried putting a drive pedal and it made the amp even more muddy.

I would love for some inputs on how to tame this beast.

Oh, here's my settings. I have everything on the EQ on 12 O'clock excluding the drive which is on 70. Also, I'm running it with 412 Hiway cab, 57 On XS Mic. I'm hearing it all through my ATH-M30 headphones.

Many thanks in advance.

Re: Am I missing something with the SLO 100 Model?
by mazuwa on 2012-11-10 10:03:47

You are right. SLO100 EQ are very subtle. Use other EQs behind. While modifying EQ, let a song or guitar track play in the background and compare the frequencies. You can also try to make changes to BIAS Excursion and SAG to reduce muddiness.

by mirflee on 2012-11-10 10:26:10

So the EQ ultimately does nothing to alter the tone? I've had it on extreme settings but there's hardly a difference in tone or maybe my ears just got tired.

by mazuwa on 2012-11-10 10:29:13

They do just a little. Try to use the neck pickup and E-string to hear changes to bass, and try the bridge pickup and e-string to hear changes to highs. Take a look at meambobbo's tone guide. I think I remember he has already mentioned SLO EQs. If I'm not mistaken I read that he leaves SLO EQ settings at 50% first.

by schapman1022 on 2012-11-10 10:34:33

I've had the same problems with this amp as well.  I found that the 4x12 XXL / 409 Dynamic works as a nice starting point for me.  I throw a screamer in front to tighten the tone, tweak the master volume on the amp and low cut cab parameters a bit as well.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-10 10:49:36

Just gonna throw in .... if you did not do a global settings reset after you installed the lastest firmware then you should do so.  This can sort out tonal weirdness in some cases .   Provided you have the right output Mode set:  the Soldano is by no means a dark model.

You will need to recalibrate the expression pedal also if you do a global reset.

Links

by mirflee on 2012-11-10 11:02:34

Thanks guys, the suggestions are really helpful. I'll try them and will report back with results.

Thanks again.

by mirflee on 2012-11-10 11:05:54

Hello jimsreynolds,

I did what you suggested right after I updated the firmware. It's not a dark model but I felt it's a little bit too muddy and lacks clarity/hair when you do chords and stuff. Almost muffled.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-11-10 13:41:50

Critical point:

Headphones listening requires completely different patches. My best patches that sound amazing in my studio monitors sound like crap through headphones. If I need to listen through headphones I add reverb and or delay to get  a room sound happening. If you must listen thru headphones you must at least add some reverb at the end. This doesn't only apply to POD HD but to every modelor out there.

by stratchamp on 2012-11-11 04:20:19

I get great results using the SLO crunch with the Celestion 1/12 cab with the 57 on or off axis.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.