These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD Microphone Preamp Gain. Is it enough for a Shure SM7B?
by crow_92 on 2012-11-19 02:57:42

I own a Pod HD primarly for recording demo parts quickly and easily into my computer and I am at the vocal stage and have decided to use a dynamic since the Pod doesn't have phantom power (less hassle and dynamics are quiter anyway) but I am unsure of how much gain the Pod HD actually has. I borrowed a Shure sm58 Beta and that had more than enough gain but I didn't like the microphone much so I am wanting to get something a little better but am worried because the so many users say the SM7B needs A LOT of gain. Any help? Thanks! =D

Re: Pod HD Microphone Preamp Gain. Is it enough for a Shure SM7B?
by HDProJohn on 2012-11-19 12:19:58

I've got the mic and use the HD Pro's vintage mic pre when at home. Yes, you've got to run it pretty hot, and that pre amp model produces a good bit of grit when cranked.

We also use the SM7 for my band, but there we run it through a Focusrite vocal strip. I really think that way is a better approach than the vintage pre amp (for my purpose of home demos it works though).

by crow_92 on 2012-11-19 17:42:21

Thanks for sharing your experience with it. I think I might go for a mic that doesn't need quite as much gain. I may not have been overly wowed by the SM58s tone but at least it was loud enough and I could always tweak it. Thanks again for the help.

by HDProJohn on 2012-11-19 18:17:02

To justify your decision, check this out: http://www.homestudiocorner.com/shure-sm7b-vs-sm58-with-audio/

Prettycool that $100 can compare to $350. I'm sure the SM7 is a better mic in construction and materials, but as you can hear, you're not really "shooting yourself in the foot" too badly for now by choosing a 58. My plan is to slowly expand to professional gear as money allows; which means a better interface that can handle the SM7 without adding noise. Seeing the SM7 is sort of 'timeless,' I chose it for that reason over financial practicality.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.