These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD noise during recording
by roderich on 2012-11-19 14:49:56

Hi there!

I'm trying to record with a POD HD as my usb interface to the computer. The problem is the annoying noise I'm hearing on the playback during recording (and that is recorded). I thought it was a matter of matching the levels of playback, or a software issue, but it seems to be something beyond my comprehension (although it's very similar to a distortion caused by clipping).

My gear:

Mac 10.8.2 (I've already installed the latest driver)

Logic Pro 8 (8.0.2)

Pod HD

AKG K240 MkII Headphones

Thanks!

Re: Pod HD noise during recording
by silverhead on 2012-11-19 15:42:23

Make sure you have the Master output voume for the Pod HD set to a fairly high level, and turn down the record signal level in Logic. You may simply be sending a noisy level from the HD due to low output setting, and compensating by increasing the signal level (and noise)  in Logic to get a good recording level.

by roderich on 2012-11-19 16:50:47

Thanks, silverhead.

Follow you suggestion, but the noise is still there. Even with input level set to -5 (or -10) in Logic, and Volume and Master at noon on Pod HD, it seems to be clipping. When I'm not using USB, I can play at any level withou a signal of clipping. But a hit the "R" to record, the level increases a bit and it starts to distort. I just can't record anything. Sometimes it starts to clip after 5, 10 seconds of recording.   

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-19 16:54:18

I am thinking three things:

1)  You can sometimes pickup ground loop noise through the USB connection when your computer is connected to the mains.  If you have a laptop try running on batteries and see if the noise persists.

2)  Open up the driver configuration for the POD and uncheck the +18dB box if it is checked.  Try now.  Not hopeful but hey.

3)  There could be a latency problem of some kind that means that a buffer is overrunning in the software after a short period of recording.  Not totally sure what the fix for this is but it may relate to sample rates ...  others have more savvy than I in this area.

by roderich on 2012-11-19 18:43:04

Not ground loop, jimsreynolds.

I'm not sure where to find the driver to uncheck +18db. Is it on the Pod or in the computer? (sorry for the dumb question)

As for the latency problem/sample rates, I'm not sure either. I'm running 44KHz and, in Logic, this is as the following:

Core Audio

I/O Buffer size: 128

I/O Safety Buffer (checked)

Recording delay: 50%

Universal TRack Mode (checked)

24-bit Recording (checked)

Software Monitoring (checked)

Independent monitoring level (checked)

Is there something wrong?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-20 03:20:28

On the driver checkbox, eyeball the thread here -->   http://line6.com/support/message/340387#340499">http://line6.com/support/message/340387#340499">http://line6.com/support/message/340387#340499. It is under 'Line 6 Midi Devices' in control panel, if running on Windows.

On the latency, we will need one of the wise to breeze past and put us both straight

by roderich on 2012-11-20 07:27:22

Found it!

But there's no +18db, only the slider for "Hardware Monitor Level". I'm on Mac, 10.8.2, and the driver version is 7.1.9.

I've just tried to record on Logic again. Again: everything goes fine until I start to record. There's a significant increase of level and about 10,15 seconds of loud and "clean"sound. Then, some clipping distortion starts over.

Maybe it has something to do with latency/sample rate?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-06 06:36:42

Sounds like your drivers are up to spec.  This is from the notes for an earlier version of the MAC drivers regarding the boost ... sounds like there is only a slider, no checkbox:

The level control can be accessed in a variety of ways:

1) Go to Applications/Utilities, select Audio MIDI Setup, and select your POD HD device. Select the Input button to show sliders which provide up to +18dB of gain for channels 1 and 2. The advantages of controlling the level settings here is that you can address each channel individually which can be handy for POD HD, POD HD500, and POD HD Pro which are all capable of running two independent signal chains.

2) Go to System Preferences, select Sound, and select your POD HD device. Select the Input button to show a single input volume slider which provides up to +18dB of gain for channels 1 and 2. The advantage of controlling the level settings here is that you can address each channel with a single control which can be handy for all POD HD tones running in stereo.

it looks like 7.1.9 was supposed to fix some kind of playback noise.  I don't know whether it is worth completely uninstalling all drivers and re-installing but I would give it a go if it were me.  Otherwise, I would go down the direct support route.  Go to http://Line6.com/support and select 'Contact Technical Support'.  To see your ticket, click My Account, then click Support Tickets

by zerotri on 2012-12-06 12:26:15

Is the sound similar to a bit crushing + possible delay effect? This has been happening to me quite a bit lately and I saw another user fully up to date posting on here with the same problem. I believe it is some sort of driver issue, possibly due to incompatibilites with Mountain Lion. I was not having this problem a few months ago and now it's unbearable to try and record something because of the fear of having this ruin a perfectly good track. Happens on both my iMac and my Macbook, both up to date, in various areas of my house and even one other house I've tested it at. Doesn't affect the headphone output, only usb. Also not specific to Logic, happens in Garage Band, Reaper and Presonus Studio One.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.