These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Gonna play live for the first time using the hd 500
by Doubledashie on 2012-11-20 10:34:17

I'm really lost here. I just know we have 1/4 inch and xlr inputs into the mixer and it gets mixed and punched out through the speakers. I'd like to get it to sound as close as I can to what I get through my headset, and the sound I get via direct usb recording. So what mode should it go through with the system I/O (like power cab, studio/direct, etc.) should I turn the amp models off? also is there a way to get stereo sound? This is my biggest question, I know we have two speakers, but I think everything gets mixed down to one track, is there a way for me to get stereo effects? Also could I use this l6 link, or is that only for amps like the dt50? Do I need a special wire for the l6 link or is it just XLR? any ideas, I'd really just love to read your responses to learn more about the hd 500, and things I can do with it.

Re: Gonna play live for the first time using the hd 500
by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-20 10:51:49

Mondo questions!  Some answers.  In all cases I am assuming direct-to-mixer connection.

• Output mode should be 'Studio Direct'.  Generally full amp models should be used along with Cab Models and Mic Models.  
  • Stereo:  this depends on the mixer and whether it allows you to pan left and right to separate speakers. 
    • You would need to connect both left and right outputs (1/4" or XLR)  from the Pod into two channels on the Mixer
    • Use the Pan on the mixer channel to pan the left channel to the left speaker and the right channel .....
    • This assumes that you have a Stereo preset .... if you are using mono effects thoughout then you will not hear stereo!
    • Stereo does not always work brilliantly in a live context.  Good mono tones are more consistent if you can live with them.
  • Ignore the L6 link unless you have a Line 6 DT25, DT50, Stagescape Mixer or Stagesource speakers.  It does nothing with non-Line 6 gear or older lLine 6 gear.
    • If you want to know more about the L6 Link then run queries on this site.

The basic question of whether your sound will be like headphones.  The simple answer is probably 'no' because the sound changes when it gets scaled up to go through a PA.

If you can get access to a mixer and PA beforehand to checkout your presets then you would be well advised to do so.  Each PA will sound a little different but you can get all your tones into the right ballpark with a rehearsal room mixer or similar.  With that said - don't panic, just be ready to tweak your tones .... and volume levels. EQ on the mixing desk is your friend.. 

Try and restrict the number of presets you use initially until you are happy with them - less tweaking to do in a hurry !

by Doubledashie on 2012-11-20 12:11:29

Alright, That's what I was thinking, thank you.

by scottyo78 on 2012-11-20 17:26:21

I just went throught the same thing...

You probably already know this but editing your sounds directly on the HD500 is quite different than with HD Edit via USB.

Make sure you're familiar with direct editing of patches and how to move about inside the System Setup pages on the HD500 too.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-21 02:00:10

Sound words.  Also, make sure you leave some upwards movement in the volume knob for each preset so you can adjust the volume up if required.  There is little more frustrating than having a bunch of presets that are pretty much levelled off in terms of volume and one that you cannot easily adjust louder.  It avoids the need for a deep edit.  I run most of my newly built presets at around 60-70% on the volume knob to ensure that I can crank them if needed.

by toneman2121 on 2012-11-21 05:15:05

where do you set the pods master volume?

by silverhead on 2012-11-21 07:46:50

Generally, the Master Volume should be set as high as possible without clipping the input of the downstream device. The higher the Master Volume, the better the signal-to-noise ratio delivered to the Pod outputs.

by toneman2121 on 2012-11-21 09:40:09

AH HA!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.