These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV59 v1.9 - Hotel California
by benson on 2012-11-20 23:39:01

Hey folks,

I've created a new preset to play the above song with my band live. It's based on an acoustic 12 string model with a virtual capo at the 7th fret. I'm playing through a HD500 and studio monitors. The HD is on a clean preset with no effects on the latest firmware.

Whilst it works I'm not really very impressed with the emulation. It seems too digital and not nearly chimey enough, certainly not good enough for live use.

I gve up trying to achieve this using Workbench as it wouldn't allow me to add a capo and I had no tuning presets available (latest version). In the end I did it using the standalone method using the guitars control knobs.

Anyway, any tips to improve the chime and realism of capo'd 12 string models before I buy a Roland GR55?

Re: JTV59 v1.9 - Hotel California
by adessmith on 2012-11-21 05:34:54

Last night I used my JTV59 for the first time at church. (Its great to be able to switch from electric to acoustic sounds without changing guitars)
On one song I normally play acoustic with a capo at the 4th fret, and durring practice I used the D28 model with the capo at the 4th fret, and it sounded great.
Just before the service started I decided to create an alternate tuning using "virtual capo" at the 4th fret (16th fret when programing), because it would be much quicker to turn the tuning knob than using my shubb capo.

Although it worked, and I doubt anyone else noticed it, it didnt sound nearly as good to me as when I used the physical capo.
We use in-ear monitors, so I dont think it had anything to do with hearing the natural sound of the guitar mixed with the "transposed" version.

I will probably use alternate tunings anytime I need to tune down, but anytime I can get away with using a capo I'll probably still do that...

by benson on 2012-11-21 11:43:27

That's my experience too. I logged a call with Line 6 and sent them an audio clip and their response was that they thought it sounded fine. It really didn't, I suspect 12 strings with virtual capos may be stretching the capabilities of the JT Variax which is a shame because as a gigging musician it's what I bought it for. No complaints about the modelling apart from that but I'm now going to have to go shopping for a Roland GR55 to get the job done properly.

by AlphaScorpious on 2012-11-21 16:46:01

If you open a 12-string model in Workbench you'll see by the way Line 6 modeled it that you really cannot create a virtual capo for one since changing a string's pitch is limited to +12. They really need to increase that limit to allow for a virtual capo'd 12-string.

by dennisrford on 2012-11-24 13:58:22

You may want to check the manual on the GR55. 

I have one and the 12 string capabilities are one of my favorites.

However, I believe when you select the 12 string function, you cannot also raise or lower the overall pitch like you can when not in 12 string mode.

I also have the a JTV89/HD500 setup.  I think Roland does a better job of guitar modeling.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.