These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageSource Speaker Community Support

Which speaker option is going to be best?
by Octo777 on 2012-11-21 02:33:02

Hey folks,

I actually started another thread in the M20d forum here http://line6.com/support/message/400406#400406">http://line6.com/support/message/400406#400406">http://line6.com/support/message/400406#400406without realising there was a speaker specific forum!

To give you the short story here, I'm buying a Dream Stage very soon.

Primairly this will be used for live work (small pubs and clubs etc) with my Acoustic duo which consists of myself with a Variax Acoustic 700 and my HD500 and my singer who uses a TC Helicon Voice Live Touch (we will both be playing in Stereo too) although given my nature of work (guitar teacher and Youth Music Worker) I am sure I will be able to use the rig for different set ups and possibly utilise the desk as an Audio Interface (if possible) for home and location recording too. In addition, I'll without a doubt use a speaker directly with my HD500 for electric work too.

I was originally planning on buying 3 X L3t's to go with the M20d, 2 for FOH. 1 for a monitor.

Now, it turns out that I am going to be purchasing my Dream Stage a bit sooner than expected (and luckily in time to take advantage of the rebates) in preperation for some work and fundraising gigs I've got coming up where there will be a mixture of full bands as well as acoustic artists involved.

I am under the assumption that the couple of L3t's on stands for the FOH sound for acoustic acts and the like will be more than ample, but how does this kind of set up fair for a typical band set up consisting of Drums, Bass, Guitars and Vox? (bearing in mind the venues will be small pubs/clubs).

If providing enough Bass is going to be an issue with the L3t's alone, is it possible to combine L6 Link networking with Analog outputs on the M20d? The idea being hooking up the L3t's via L6 Link and a Sub or two hooked up via the Main outs.

Would there be any benefits to opting for L3m's instead of the L3t's? (at least for the FOH) Would the L3m's will give me a "best of both worlds" balance between Treble and Bass and negate the need for additional Subs?

Any info anyone can provide would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Octo!

Re: Which speaker option is going to be best?
by Octo777 on 2012-11-22 01:10:13

No one able to weigh in on this subject?

I at very least would like some info/opinions on the main query of whether using a pair of L3m's for FOH will give a good balance of treble and bass over using the L3t's on their own......

I mean ideally I would just buy a pair of all three types of speakers plus 3 extra L3m's for monitors to cover all scenarios, but you know, when I am about to blow the guts of £5,000 on the basic system my budget doesn't stetch another £5,000 giver or take! LOL

by dboomer on 2012-11-23 19:43:49

Hello Octo

I'm not certain what info you are seeking.  L3t and L3m are exactly the same but with and without the mixer.  So the sound would be the same either way.

by Octo777 on 2012-11-24 01:11:10

dboomer wrote:

Hello Octo

I'm not certain what info you are seeking.  L3t and L3m are exactly the same but with and without the mixer.  So the sound would be the same either way.

Indeed. I found this out yesterday while doing more research when the forums were down.

I was under the impression that the speakers were named appropriately according to their job and sound focus i.e. L3t for Treble, L3m for Middle and L3s for Subwoofer. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the L3t and the L3m were exactly the same aside from the Mixer, but that the speaker WITH the mixer was the one called the "t" where as common sense would have dictated it be called the "m", no?

I'm no marketing expert, but from a consumer standpoint, I think the naming of the speakers could have been made far more transparent and clearer in terms of the L3t and L3m. As it is they are very confusing till you dig into the details, but it shouldn't have taken as much research as it did to find out information on the difference between the two types of speaker when the difference is so small.....

Anyway, the good news is that this has made my decision much easier in terms of which speakers to get as I don't need the mixer on the L3t and so will simply get the L3m's.

by silverhead on 2012-11-24 06:06:34

I think the naming convention reflects what I believe is common terminology in PA systems and live audio setups: s is for subwoofer; t is for 'top', meaning it is often placed on top of the subwoofer. They go together to comprise the sound the audience hears. the m stands for monitor - placed on stage for the musicians to hear themselves properly. So a typical stage setup might have 2 t and 2 s units in 2 stacked pairs, one on each side of the stage, and one or more m units on stage pointed at the musicians.

I realize that this doesn't clearly explain the only difference between the t and m models - namely, the side panel mixer. I guess this makes more sense in the  the t model since it can then serve as an integrated (no external mixer required), audience-oriented (not monitor) unit for a solo/duet performance.

by groovedggr on 2012-11-24 19:03:31

I recommend getting the sub along with the L3m speakers

by Octo777 on 2012-11-26 10:00:15

I've actually reevaluated everything and I am actually seriously contemplating buying a whole rig with 2 L3t's and 2 L3s' which I plan on hooking up via L6 Link.

However, I've been searching and searching but cant seem to find the answer to what I really need to know before I go and blow my wad:

Can you still use the analog monitor outs A.B.C and D while using the L6 Link for FOH??

(please say yes, please say yes, please say yes)

by dboomer on 2012-11-26 10:47:03

Then just for you ...

yes, yes, yes

and you can also use the analog outs of any of the Line 6 speakers as well

by Octo777 on 2012-11-27 02:29:53

Excellent! This is very good news.

Many thanks for all the help and information.

by Octo777 on 2012-12-08 12:59:17

When I combine 2 x L3s and 2 x L3m, does this mean the total wattage of the system is 3200 Watts?

by dboomer on 2012-12-08 14:50:51

The combined total, when driven to full power would be 5200W

by Octo777 on 2012-12-09 04:02:53

Yeah, I suck at maths, I have no idea how I got that so wrong!

Cheers!

by silverhead on 2012-12-09 05:42:15

I think the math was correct - it was just a typo!

by Octo777 on 2012-12-10 02:02:22

Yes! That's what it was! haha

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.