These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

DJ debating whether to buy the m20d
by DanceLeaderPros on 2012-11-21 12:21:10

Hi everyone,

Im new to stagesource and line 6. I am a mobile dj for the past 11 years and have gone through numerous amounts of setups, but i wont bore you with my entire past. I will just fill you in with what i currently own and use. Right now im mixing with 2 different midi controllers, the pioneer ddj-s1 and the traktor s4. Each of these mixers has 2 rca's (left and right) coming out and going into my pioneer djm 900 nexus mixer. The djm 900 goes out to my driverack px and the px goes out into my yorkville nx 750p tops and 720s subs.

Now here is my delimma.As great as the djm 900 is, im not using it to its fullest potential, which is using it with cdj players whether its the 1000, 2000 etc. The reason i dont use them its because they are bulky, heavy and take up a lot of space in my pathfinder. That being said that is why i use the s4 or ddj s1.

My question is, how does the m20d compare to the 900 nexus? Obviously they are both completely different unit and are used for completely different applications. However, as a dj i feel like the m20d does not suit me. It is mostly used for bands and i do sometimes work with bands that plug into my sound. I basically require them to feed me rca wires or or xlr wires that have adapters to rca.

The reason i am interested in the m20d is because i feel like i can get the same results as i do with the nexus, but i havent seen any djs with it which makes me hesitant to buy it. But just to get this out there, i would be fine still using either 1 of my midi controllers and plugging in to any of the inputs correct? Are there any special icons i would have to select as those lines. Meaning ive seen in videos that each instrument has its icon (bass, drums, guitar, vocalist, etc.), but does it have a midi controller icon as for the application i intend to use? If so, how well will it sound? Will this mixer sound great with the current speakers i own or will i have to go out and purchase the line 6 tops and subs? My mics are both shure ulx series, are there any issues there?

The questions above are the ones that are really throwing me off from making the purchase. If there are any DJs out there or anyone with great input on this issue please help!

Thanks in advanced!

Re: DJ debating whether to buy the m20d
by theShowmakers on 2012-12-11 08:43:28

Hi,

i'm using the m20d also with different rca's as input (with 1/4-inch Adapter). I just use then the standard configuration Line oder choose the Icon Submixer or PC for Preset (you can then Change only the Icon to what you Like without changing the Preset). I don't have any Problems with this. You can add any FX or other Stuff from the DSP, but i don't really need this, because this rca/Line Inputs are complete Music signals like a CD. So i just use the M20d to mix the Levels of the different Inputs. Additional you can use the Microphones with all of the Functionality.

so far so good.

But what i think you can miss as a DJ is first of all a Cross Fader if you need this.

And for my point of view the Encoder knobs ar not so comfortable to use like Faders you can move up and down. So if you want to fade out one Input and at the same time Fade in another Input, you need two Hands an have to turn, turn, turn the knobs. I mean you have to turn more than 360° untill the Level is down or up.

Or if you want to Talk over some playing music, you have to turne down the Level of the playing music and after Talking, you have to turn it up. Akain, with Fader i think this is much easyer. But the Group Funktion is great to Group all inputs of music, so you can turn always the same Knop, independent which input is playing at the moment, all inputs will be changed corresponding to the Group Knob.

I don't have the line6 Speakers. I just conectet the m20d Main out to my existing PA/Speakers. No Problem!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.